Yamaha SY22 Re-assembly photo's please

Covering the SY22 to SY55 and TG Modules.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

Kriz176

Yamaha SY22 Re-assembly photo's please

Unread post by Kriz176 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:04 am

Hi I'm trying to re- assemble my Yamaha SY22 after replacing a key and rather stupidly only took 3 photo's. I replaced the broken key ( More on that later) Re-assembled the whole thing but it won't sound. The lCD and parameters all work fine as does the internal sound demo still works ( not surprisingly as i didn't touch those parts) but the key contacts so far are not operable. There are four main things that could've gone wrong. (1)The wired screw's between modules have been re positioned incorrectly. I based my re assembly from the rather blurred/ limited photo's i took (2) the Rubber contact sheet has been incorrectly re -positioned, The Service manual calls it a contact but made of rubber i though it would be for insulation purposes, This sheet covers the center part of the keybed protecting ithe circuit board from the keyboard action, That it's not a contact as the contacts are the back of the key leaf spring touching the felt a strip which is where the contact strip resides. so unless there are two key contact places this may not be the probelm. (3 )When relacing the broken key i broke another one same back pillar which pushes the leaf spring onto the contact but i managed to modify the pillar so the leaf rests slightly lower on the pillar and now has a much more tight action (More likely to brake in the future but seems to be O.K. for now) (4) I broke something along the way ( I was a little rushed ) O.K So i think it's most likely the wired screws or the rubber contact strip but without photo's and a better understanding i'm shooting blind. Any help Pleeeessee :|

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Re: Yamaha SY22 Re-assembly photo's please

Unread post by parametric » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:46 pm

I don't know the SY22 apart from having played one many years ago . . . .

From your description of the rubber "Contact Sheet" . . . . are you sure you have replaced this the right way up? If it is symetrical - it might be possible to replace it upside-down, without it "looking" wrong?

These rubber sheet arrangements are common in many devices today, and although they just look like rubber, the "business" side is coated or impregnated such that it is conductive - and will connect if an external contact touches it.

Just a thought.

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96/

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Kriz176

Unread post by Kriz176 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 pm

Thanks Parametric, Yeah it possibly could be upside down when i replaced it and the scanning circuitry board does have a lot of what appears to be contact patches on the bottom, They look a bit like the chips you see on your the sim for your cell phone and i guess those jagged teeth on the middle of the key had to be for something. O.k. so there are two contact places for the keys not just one. I learnt something and i'll let you know how i get along.

Kriz176

Unread post by Kriz176 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:57 am

Hi Parametric, O.K. so i opened her back up changed the rubber sheet over ( It was up side down) put it all back together and presto most of the notes now played except for 4 notes, so i opened it back up again checked the keys all fine including the leaf spring contact sprayed a little dioxite on the felt strip contact ( Worth a try) Didn't touch the sim like contacts on the board, all very clean, Managed to brake another key, This one wasn't as easily modified as the first one and although it fit back on well with a tighter action it wont sound as the spring contact wont touch ( This turned out not to be a problem) Put it all back together and Presto same as before 4 random notes towards the top end not working. Initially i thought it might be the rubber strip which purpose seems to be to protect the the sim like contacts from being worn down and it has expanded some what making it tricky to fit but after being moved it's still the same keys not working making the key i broke not a problem as it's contact was one of the four not working anyway Just a couple of things to note for anyone wanting to replace keys on the 22, These keys are 24 yrs old and easy to brake so be careful. There are two contact points not one, back pillar as well as teeth in centre of key and the leaf spring sits on top of both pillars in the grooves provided not half way down as the SY99 forum guy states, he also left out the importance of the middle contact. summing up i wish i never opened it as it was a huge waste of time and a wobbly key that works is better than four cosmetically fine keys that don't sound I think i'll buy another of these boards and use one of them as a parts board as their cheap and sound great.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:06 am

Glad you got it back together despite the 4 non-workers - Bummer . . . .

I HAVE seen keys for sale on ebay - might be worth checking if they'll fit the 22. Many Yam synths use the same keys. Just depends if the 22 is a member of that club . . . so to speak :)

Plastics do have a tendency to get brittle over time and need gentle handling . . .

If you LIKE the 22 - then acquiring another would be a good move - especially if its FULLY working. You can use yours as spares . . .

I think they usually go for little money these days . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96/

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:40 pm

I don't know if the SY22 uses the same keybed as the SY77/99, just because it is an SY does not mean it's the same.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

Kriz176

Unread post by Kriz176 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:47 pm

Thanks Parametric, Yeah buying new keys won't help as it's the contacts underneath at fault as i checked the keys thoroughly and their fine action etc and i do think it shares the same keybed as the SY77 . I guess this is case closed for now.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:51 am

Fair enough Kriz,

It IS worth giving Yamaha a call to inquire what they have spares-wise for the Sy22 (explaining your problem). Many users have been surprised to get parts they thought long gone.

Yamaha do have a reputation for holding spares for quite long times.

Phone is generally best. I think <Saul> has posted the number as a sticky at the front of one or more of the Forums.

Anyhow - good luck with either a repair or a reacquisition . . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Kriz176

Unread post by Kriz176 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:19 pm

Thanks parametric for all your help and advice.

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 am

it uses the same keybed but not the same contact boards

the sy77/99 range use the double leaf spring types that come in per octave and they have to be soldered in

the sy22 uses bubble contacts pcbs that have contacts that the bubble rubbers have carbon pieces that create a circuit when they hit the carbon pads

usually with these dust gets under the carbon rubbers and stops contact usually cleaning does the trick but some times the carbon becomes damaged under the rubber pads

you can get a silver conductive paint that you coat them with and makes them like new again

rolands suffer with this problem a lot also

but yamaha might also have new bubble contact strips

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 pm

Nice post - jhulk,

good to know about the silver paint - I think you can use that to repair electrically-heated rear car windows too ?.

Those rubberised carbon contacts seem to have a mind of their own when it comes to working or not working . . . .

parametric

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Return to “Yamaha SY22, SY35 & SY55”