SY35 Aftertouch.

Covering the SY22 to SY55 and TG Modules.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

IsoldeIsobelle

SY35 Aftertouch.

Unread post by IsoldeIsobelle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 3:57 pm

Hi.

Can anyone help me please?
A friend is offering to sell me a SY35 at a nice low price, although I do not really need another FM synth.
I bought a Novation Impulse just for the aftertouch, but, to be honest, it is rubbish... no matter how you play it, it is a bit on or off and I was wondering how the SY35 would be just as a master keyboard.

Is the aftertouch responsive? He lives over 500 miles from me, so testing it out is a bit of a problem.
I have also read that the velocity is a bit restricted on these... going from 20 to 80 only, is this correct?

Does anybody have any other suggestions for a cheap'ish keyboard/synth that I could use with decent aftertouch... or for the more technically minded - Channel Pressure? :wink:

tamla

Re: SY35 Aftertouch.

Unread post by tamla » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:01 pm

As the keybed is relatively cheap, and the keys are not weighted, I find the aftertouch is either full on or not at all. It's not the greatest in terms of a master keyboard, but then I am not a keyboard player and I use all of my synths within a studio (kind of) environment.

The SY77 and SY99 both have aftertouch, and the SY77 can be found quite cheap still, and I would recommend one to anybody regardless.

The best keyboard I have ever used as a master, and it was more by luck than judgement, is a GEM S3. These can be found relatively cheap, but they are exceptionally heavy so be warned - I did my back in when I picked up my S3 when I collected it. At 1267x116x350 mm, 18.5 kg, and 76 keys, picking it up the wrong way is not advised. The S2 or S3 have an excellent action, and I think the keybed is by Fatar, and the aftertouch is pretty nice. It currently lives in the wardrobe as it's too big, but too unique to part with.

I also had a Technics WSA1 for a while, and that had a nice aftertouch which was programmable. Keys weren't weighted if memory serves me correctly, but this wasn't too much of an issue. These can also be picked up relatively cheaply, but they are quite tricky to program.

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:28 pm

tamla wrote: It currently lives in the wardrobe as it's too big, but too unique to part with.
I hope you have removed the built-in nickel-cadmium battery as otherwise it will be leaking acid which eats up the circuit board traces. The S2/S3 are notorious for that.
My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

tamla

Unread post by tamla » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:15 pm

True, I need to dig it out regardless, I want to see if I can stick one of those floppy emulators in it, although I suspect not...

IsoldeIsobelle

Unread post by IsoldeIsobelle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:58 am

Thank you for your reply and advice.

Return to “Yamaha SY22, SY35 & SY55”