Rubber buttons Not making contact

S900 Specific Section. If you have questions or information to share about the S700/S900 please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Canada
Edwin Headwind

Rubber buttons Not making contact

Unread post by Edwin Headwind » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Some of the many rubber buttons on my PSR S-950 are not making contact. At first they were just stubborn, but it I held [gentle] pressure on it then eventually it would contact. Now, some essential ones are not working at all. NADA!!

The manual I found starts off with "remove the 21 screws on the bottom of the piano" - oh oh, I am probably going to mess this up... Or not?

Has anyone tried to get inside and clean the circuit boards and connectors?

Has anyone else had this problem?

PS - To avoid such problems I have long ago learned - no smoking in the music room, keep equipment covered with dust cloths, use a spit screen.
[but these did not stop this problem from happening].
Songwriter + EWI player.
User avatar Germany
purcell

Re: Rubber buttons Not making contact

Unread post by purcell » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello!
Only for information! How old is it? Did you use it often (daily?) Did you use a plastic dust cover?
I ask this only to exclude dirt / dust as a cause.
Or did you use it extremely often - even at changing places?
Did you buy it second hand?

Theory: Almost new? Rarely played? ... and dust-protected? Should be an electronic problem then!
Old! Very often played! No dust protection. Smoke? Dirt? Dust? ... Clean it!
Second hand?

You did this: "no smoking in the music room, keep equipment covered with dust cloths, use a spit screen" ?
So! No dirt and dust (SWEAT!) possible?

These are all just questions to circling the real cause.
Good luck!

"Fixing a Yamaha Keyboard PSR-500"

"Rubber Pads and Keys Exposed
The rubber pads are one octave wide, and can be easily pulled out and switched around.
I read somewhere on the Internet that these rubber pads are a spare part that can be acquired via music stores.
This makes me believe that these key pads fail more often.

Rubber Pad
Hardly visible on the photo, but there is an area in the middle of the black spot that has a different colour and shows wear (one could think)."
------------------------------------
Ideas: "from Internet"
The problem isn't usually the board.. its the rubber contact that either need replacing or cleaning.
Clean with pure alcohol.. I use Isopropyl alcohol and a lint free pad like chamois. Don't use cotton bids.

MUSIC KEYBOARD SYNTH REPAIR - CONDUCTIVE RUBBER KEYPAD FIX BUTTONS & SWITCHES
--------------------------------------
DIRT or DUST? Old Plastic? ...metal or electronic problem?

Youtube is helpful! "Rubber pads" "opened keyboard" "clean rubber pads/contact"

The cause?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/YAMAHA-Key-Rubb ... SwrklVCGNv
User avatar Great Britain
Les Turnbull

Unread post by Les Turnbull » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Is it the control buttons that are not responding or are some of the keys not sounding . I have once cleaned the key bed on a casio which had hair and dust stopping some keys sounding . If it is control buttons not working there are 2 types . one type is a micro switch which are a fidly solder job to replace , The other type of button is a carbon contact which can be cleaned but sometimes needs fresh carbon paint applied to the rubber contact end .
Canada
Edwin Headwind

Unread post by Edwin Headwind » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:05 pm

Wow, replies!! Thanks!! I have not had much luck finding info on this.

Q and A:
Yes, it is the control buttons that have the problem, not the piano keys.

SO it looks like it is the rubber pads -= they can ooze silicone. someone wrote on other sites. Or just dirty. It is a dirty world.

And that means taking it apart... a bit scary, I have done that sort of thing occasionally, it usually ends up being declared a mistake, and now I am too old for that stuff, lol.
Spending $200 on a repair guy is worth it for me - can they do a cleaning for $200 - I will let you know.
Songwriter + EWI player.
Canada
Edwin Headwind

Unread post by Edwin Headwind » Mon May 13, 2019 10:30 am

UPDATE - yes of course it was the smoke. Being careful is NOT enough, "quit smoking dummy" - and so I have that incentive too. I am down to 2 cigs a day, must quit.

The repair shop cleaned and cleaned and charged me extra for cleaning. I willingly paid - they should not have to do that. It was terrible with GUNK.

But then I got it home and half the buttons still do not work. Don't they TEST these things before they say it is ready?

I had to drive 5 hours there and back, and I am not well. Arrggg - it does have 3 month warranty, I wrote them an email on a Saturday It is the drive that bothers me. I shipped it there by courier - but can we trust them on the way back? They could void the warranty somehow, it gets messy so I go there to pick it up - maybe I don't need to??

Thanks for the input. I am embarrassed at the filth I produce with smoking. It is time. Quit quit quit.
Songwriter + EWI player.

Return to “Yamaha PSR-S700/S900”