PSR S900 as a multitimbral tone generator

S900 Specific Section. If you have questions or information to share about the S700/S900 please post here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

dovroc

PSR S900 as a multitimbral tone generator

Unread post by dovroc »

Dear all,

You will have to excuse me if this topic has been dealt with before but haven’t been able to find a

solution.

I have managed to record a song as a midi file into Cubase, divided the tracks and added appropriate

sounds from Sample Tank to each midi track.

My question is: Is there a way of using the sounds directly from the PSR on each midi track in Cubase?
E.g. The keyboard guitar sound on the Cubase midi guitar track and similarly with the other tracks.

Basically I am trying to replace the Sample Tank sounds with the original sound from the keyboard.

Thanks

dovroc

Rabbit Tree Studio
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: PSR S900 as a multitimbral tone generator

Unread post by Saul »

You can do this, it just depends on how you went about recording the song. If as I understand it your using midi data to trigger the sounds in Sample Tank then you should be able to edit that data to instead trigger the sounds in your PSR...effectively using the PSR as a sound module. This is the key thing about MIDI. It's just data and you can pretty much do what you want with it...as long as you understand MIDI of course ;)

I have not used Cubase in a very long time so I can't really guide you on the specifics but I know there are plenty of people on the site who can. It's just a matter of waiting until they come online. If I had more time I would fire it up and try to guide you through but this is an incredibly busy time for me at the moment so will have to pass the baton to someone else for now.

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
dovroc

Unread post by dovroc »

Hi Saul,

Thank a lot for your reply!

If have tried messing around with the Cubase settings to get the sounds from the PSR without success, so if someone could assist I would be very grateful.

Dovroc

woodii

Unread post by woodii »

Which version of Cubase are you using?

There are three types of track in cubase.

Audio - that you would record a microphone or the audio output from the keyboard.

Instrument - Software instruments (sound generated virtually in the computer)

MIDI - control tracks for external synths and keyboards.

The instrument tracks use the sample tank plugin.

The MIDI tracks are the one to use to control the s900.

You will need to set each track to a different midi channel 1-16 and then use the program change numbers to change the sounds.

Regards

Woodii

losackmd

Unread post by losackmd »

I have. a very similar question

dropping a sequenced MP3 into logic pro x
and having it midi out playing the sequence into the YAMAHA PSR SX900

so that each track can be modified
volume pan and adding other tracks

no one is answering me
after sending out at least 3 separate emails
to different companies

thanks
GL

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Is it a sequenced MIDI file, or an MP3 audio file? They are two completely different things, so it makes a big difference which type of file you've actually got.

Once you clarify which one it is, we can offer more detailed suggestions. In the meantime, here are some general comments.

If it's a sequenced MIDI file, you can load it into Logic Pro X-- or other DAW or MIDI editor-- modify the overall settings and channel settings as desired, edit the Note data and other event data, add or delete channels, etc.

Or you could load it directly into the PSR-SX900's Song Creator function (I think) and change it there. However, I don't have a working kniwledge of the PSR-SX900, so I'm not certain how much you can do using the Song Creator. In any case, it's usually easier to edit a MIDI file in a DAW than on a keyboard.

If it's an MP3 audio file, you cannot sequence it to the keyboard, because audio data is not MIDI data. Also, the instruments will usually be all mixed together onto the left and right channels rather than separated, which makes it extremely difficult to do any sort of remixing unless you can somehow use sophisticated audio software to try to isolate and separate the instruments onto individual tracks based on things like frequency range and panning.

On the other hand, if all you want to do is add more tracks to it, you could load the MP3 file to a single stereo track, then add more audio and MIDI tracks to the project in your DAW.

I don't have a working knowledge of Logic Pro, so I can't help with using that DAW other than very general comments that should be broadly applicable to any DAW, although the details might vary from DAW to DAW.

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
losackmd

Unread post by losackmd »

hi

its an Mp3 done with the MULTI MIDI sequencer i.e. as opposed to the QUICK RECORD
these are all midi tracks and when dropped into LOGIC the tracks 9-16. ( the accompaniment tracks are there in their own separate channel )
the settings on both LOGIC and the Yamaha PSR-SX900 are what i need to learn
so that i can play the DAW and have the song / mp3 played exactly as it sounds on the PSR
and have the option of modifying pan volume effects etc
and add more tracks
a DAW is easier to work with

if anyone can help
id appreciate it

GL