In light of reported non-availability of Fusion spares . . .

Alesis Fusion Forum. Links, info & general advice

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Fozzer, Saul

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

In light of reported non-availability of Fusion spares . . .

Unread post by parametric » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:46 am

I have today sent of an enquiry to Numark Alesis Tech Support UK asking for clarification on these reports.

Letter reads as follows:

Dear Sirs,

As a member of two Alesis Fusion User Forums, I am much disturbed by reports that PSUs (and other parts) - are no longer available from yourselves.

This is obviously causing much grief amongst owners with the prospect of their instruments becoming expensive paperweights if the power supplies die.

Can you confirm the present position on availability of parts, particularly the PSU, and more importantly, HOW LONG you intend to stock replacement parts.

I appreciate that the Fusion is a "legacy" product (since ~2006), but it is still listed on the Alesis website together with the last downloads that were available - full marks for that . . .

In the event that the worst is confirmed, Could you make available the circuit diagram and parts list of the PSU? - so that technically competant users may be able to repair or even construct a suitable replacement, and thus "maintain" their instruments.

If this component was outsourced - then the details of the manufacturer and HIS part number would also be useful to source information/components.

Hoping you can help

Best Regards

Chris N Miller
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: In light of reported non-availability of Fusion spares .

Unread post by Saul » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:38 am

Nice one Chris. I think at the very least they should release the psu information, although if it's a third party product that complicates it somewhat but, perhaps the fusion's psu is used in other products ? That being the case we may still be able to get replacements from another source.

I was actually debating getting rid of the Juno Gi and buying another Fusion. Not sure on that yet but it is an idea kicking around ;)
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:47 am

Well Saul,

I thought it worth a try.

I've had a very nice mail back from Rick Maia who has explained the present SP, and as you (and I) suspected, the psu was outsourced - well the pcb anyway, and the original manufacturer is no more. I haven't had a concerted poke through the BOM, but the PSU components do not appear to be listed there.

Designing a replacement will be hard without details of the hardware, especially socketry used if there is to be any hope of attaching such a device to the Fusion's wiring loom.

You already know my feelings about modifying "original" infrastructure with the discussions about the FD problems of the SY85 . . . . . :cry:

My cousin is quite clever at these things, and if my 8HD went tits-up in this way, I would remove the PSU and get him to look at it to see if there was any possibility of producing something. It look very high density to me - and of course, any redesign would have to fit in a 6HD too . . . .

I've posted this thread on the FusionZone and the Fusion Club too - as there are some members there who are tech-savvy enough to look at the problem too - so perhaps something might transpire . . . .

I've copied the guts of the reply below. Rick seems amenable to enquiries on matters Fusion and will no doubt help as far as he is able.

Reply follows: . . . . . . .

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your email.

We currently stock most of the Fusion 6HD and Fusion 8HD parts but unfortunately we no longer have stock of the Power PCB. This is due to the fact the manufacturer no longer exists and we can therefore not order anymore of this specific part.

Below is a full part list. Most of them are in stock, if you wish to find out whether or not we have any of the specific items in stock, please let me know.

Battery, 3 V, Lithium Coin, PCB Mount

Knob, Value

Knob, Volume

LCD Module

PCB Assy, Analog Expansion

PCB Assy, Digital Expansion

PCB Assy, Front, Left

PCB Assy, Front, Right

PCB Assy, I/O

PCB Assy, LCD Inverter

PCB Assy, LCD Inverter Control

PCB Assy, Main

PCB Assy, Power

PCB Assy, SATA

Rotary Encoder

Rotary Pot, Dual, 360 deg, Value

Rotary Pot, Ext Input Gain

Rotary Pot, Single, Contrast

Rotary Pot, Volume

If you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate in emailing us back.

Kind Regards,

RICK MAIA

After Sales Support Advisor

Numark | Alesis | Akai Pro | ION Audio | MixMeister | LTO Pro

Numark Alesis Europe Ltd

Unit 3 Nexus Park, Lysons Avenue

Ash Vale, Hampshire, GU12 5QE

+44 (0) 1252 896040

rmaia AT numark DOT com

Reply ends: . . . . . . . .

Curiously, "PCB Assy, Power" IS listed above. In light of what he said - perhaps it shouldn't be there? :oops:

I kind of detected that you were not entirely satisfied with your Juno Gi - particularly with Roland's "Philistine" attitude to the editing Software. If not the Fusion - perhaps the OTHER Juno - that HAS the editor? Or have Roland pissed you off TOO much . . . 8O

Best Regards

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:21 pm

Nice to see Alesis still stocking parts for the Fusion. I guess though these will become limited over time as I assume they are not manufacturing them any more. Shame about the psu but I read your pm so there is light at the end of that particular tunnel :)

Re the Juno. Really it's just the editor thing that is hacking me off. Although I am also not too happy about the way they have categorized the sounds. Things like Piano 1, Piano 2, Piano 3 and so on doesn't really tell you much about the particular piano sound does it? That theme runs through most of the sound banks.

Definitely the Juno Stage would have been a better buy although it's sound engine is based on the Fantom X rather than the Fantom G of the Juno Gi. The up side of that though is it has two SRX expansion slots where the Juno Gi has no expansions and of course no editor. The Juno Gi is really a dead end product. no expansion slots I can live with but for Roland to then not produce a software editor is really too much for a product at this price point!

So yeah, Fusion 8HD, Juno Stage or maybe something else with more expansion potential, be that via plug in boards or software or preferably both is what I am looking around for.
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

JMS

Unread post by JMS » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:35 pm

InMusic is the company name now used to cover multiple brands including Akai, Alesis, Numark, etc.

As of 5-27-2014

For InMusic parts in the USA call 1-888-800-0681

For InMusic parts in the UK call 0044 (0) 1252-896-000

9-44-0008 LCD Display Module - Fusion 6HD/8HD - N/A

9-79-0313-A PCB, I/O Assembly - Fusion 6HD/8HD $ 103.00

Old # 9-79-0361 PCB, Power Assembly - Fusion 6HD/8HD - N/A
New # SPSHA33R4-058 -058N - PCB, Power Assembly for Akai MPC 5000 & Alesis Fusion- $ 106

AL 9-79-0365 PCB, CCFL Inverter - Fusion 6HD/8HD - $ 15.22
Note CCFL inverter can be eliminated if you change the LCD display backlight to an LED back light

AL 9-79-0366 PCB, CCFL Dimmer - Fusion 6HD/8HD - N/A
Jesse

JMS

Unread post by JMS » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:46 pm

The Hantronic's LCD display for $20 works in the Fusion :) http://www.mpja.com/LCD-Display-240-X-1 ... 003%20OP/#
LCD display with 3.3 volts to the  LED backlight 01c.jpg
It comes with 5 volt LED backlight, but the LED"S run hot at 5 volts and are to bright, so I tapped into the
Fusion's 3.3 volt supply and the backlight has just the right brightness and the LED's are cool to the touch 8)

With this LCD display installed in your Fusion you don't need the CCFL backlight or the inverter PCB :D

A power source (probably better than coming straight off the PSU) for the 3.3 volts could be from this connector, wires come straight from the PSU
3.3 volt power source for 5 volt LED backlight  01.jpg

Get a 2 wire connector like this http://www.mpja.com/Dual-Small-110-Flat ... 7854%20CB/ cut the wires so the female connector has about 7 or 8 inches and solder the wires to your power source.

Next cut off the connector that came with the LED back light and slip a couple pieces of heat shrink on the wires from the 5 volt LED backlight so you can slide it over the solder joints after you solder the wires with the male connector to it.
Jesse

Return to “Alesis Fusion Forum 6HD & 8HD”