The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

Alesis Fusion Forum. Links, info & general advice

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

Unread post by parametric » Sun May 18, 2014 1:59 am

Today I completed this project which has been on my mind for quite some time.

The SSD I used came from China (Where else?)

The supplier (acesupplier11) was excellent - and very communicative. I sent him pics of the Fusion and its existing HD and explained what I was trying to do.

He mailed me back to say that if the drives (In the end I bought two) didn't work with the Fusion, then I could return them for a refund.

Can't say fairer than that!

I promised I would tell him how it turned out - and I will do so first thing Monday.

In the meantime, THIS is the drive I bought and this is the supplier:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181331185517? ... 1423.l2649

In due course, I'll produce a document detailing how I proceeded, with description and pics.

The drive was a 128Gb, which formatted in the Fusion, in a flash, to 120Gb (as we know).

There does appear to be a slight improvement in speed when loading, but some tests would be good against against an HDD-equipped Fusion to prove the point . . .

With this mod. your Fusion will weigh a little less - not that you'll notice. The SSD only weighs 75g.

It is very quiet though, which will please users with Studio-bound Fusions. Remaining noise is from the small fan near the PSU.

Folk who wish to Gig their Fusions will also be happy - No more fear of damaging the HDD in transit . . .

Here's a taster of the Drive installed - ready to close the Fusion:
SSD installed and ready.JPG
added more info
Best Regards

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module
BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris

tux
Kiribati

Re: The SSD (Holy Grail) can finally be YOURS !

Unread post by tux » Sun May 18, 2014 2:29 am

That's a standard IDE SSD, Kingspec is a budget brand, hopefully the Flash chips they used will last a while.

Transcend (which I mentioned to you in the other thread) would have worked just as well but they generally use good quality Flash chips (usually Samsung) therefore long-term reliability should be better, although Transcend is a bit more expensive, see this comparable drive for example:
http://www.saverstore.com/product/20362795/7725665/

BTW, your signature needs updating! :wink:

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Sun May 18, 2014 4:16 am

I based my choice on the fact that I upgraded my ASUS eepc901 from 12Gb to 160Gb using KingSpec mini pci-e SSDs over a year ago - and its been running flawlessly since . . .

At least we now KNOW that the Fusion will work with PATA SSDs.

I didn't want to spend out lots to find it wouldn't work.

I guess any maker's SSDs will be just fine as long as they are PATA.

My local supplier stocks SSDs up to 960Gb but they are ALL SATA

There is even a Transcend 128Gb @£59.94 inc. - but its SATA

Seems like you're paying nearly double for 128Gb PATA

The KingSpecs were ~£67 each . . .

Time will tell I suppose.

At least the "worry" aspect has been moved along slightly . . . . .

We can now be concerned with how long manufacturers will see profit in making (smallish) PATA SSDs.

If they can almost double their money compared to SATA - quite some time possibly? 8O

Thanks for the signature check - I did it in the other two forums and forgot to do it here . . . :roll:

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio 24/96 Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

JMS

Unread post by JMS » Sun May 18, 2014 10:31 pm

Awesome Chris, way to go :)

Jesse

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Mon May 19, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks Jesse -

Here is the Document:
Alesis Fusion SSD Install procedure v1.1.pdf
Alesis Fusion SSD Install procedure v1.1
(6.85 MiB) Downloaded 28 times
[This is Revision 1.1]

(Only because I FORGOT to include a REMINDER to BACK UP your Fusion BEFORE proceeding . . . (Doh!)

Best Regards

parametric
Last edited by parametric on Thu May 22, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

JMS

Unread post by JMS » Tue May 20, 2014 1:54 am

Very nice SSD Install Document Chris

Where there is a will there is a way :)

Jesse

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Tue May 20, 2014 2:19 am

Thank you Jesse!

I have to say I am pleased with the way the project has gone.

Do we KNOW if the Fusion would understand TWO drives - correctly jumpered and ribboned?

The <Copy Volume> feature would then enable a volume backup to the second drive . . . .

Another thought has to be a 2.5" caddy (requires a slot in the back), externally accessible.

Then you have drive change WITHOUT opening her up . . . . !

So many ideas - so little time .. . . :roll:

parametric

V50fan
Netherlands

Unread post by V50fan » Sat May 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Very nice! I am seriously considering this also.

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Wed May 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Albert (acesupplier11) sent me the specsheet of the SSD I used.

For those interested - here it is . . .
KSD-PA25.6-XXXMS.pdf
(494.17 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
Didn't seem to be available on KingSpec's site when I looked . . . .

parametric

JMS

Unread post by JMS » Wed May 28, 2014 5:18 pm

tux wrote:That's a standard IDE SSD, Kingspec is a budget brand, hopefully the Flash chips they used will last a while.

Transcend (which I mentioned to you in the other thread) would have worked just as well but they generally use good quality Flash chips (usually Samsung) therefore long-term reliability should be better, although Transcend is a bit more expensive, see this comparable drive for example:
http://www.saverstore.com/product/20362795/7725665/

BTW, your signature needs updating! :wink:
64GB Transcend PSD330 2.5-inch IDE Internal SSD Solid State Disk (MLC Flash) £63.96

http://www.saverstore.com/product/20362 ... 5---IDEATA

Both the Kingspec and the Transend have a MTBF:1,000,000 Hours, the Kingspec has a 2 year warranty and the Transend has a 3 year warranty, read write times are close to the same so it looks like the Kingspec gives you more bang for the buck

Jesse

V50fan
Netherlands

Unread post by V50fan » Thu May 29, 2014 6:49 am

Maybe this topic should be make sticky? :idea:

www.synthstudiodevries.com
mstsfreak on alesis fusionforums :-)

tux
Kiribati

Unread post by tux » Thu May 29, 2014 9:57 am

JMS wrote: Both the Kingspec and the Transend have a MTBF:1,000,000 Hours,
You do realize that manufacturer specified MTBF has nothing to do with real life expectancy?

Apart from that comparing a UK price which includes 20% VAT with a direct from China price isn't really fair, I'm sure the Transcend SSDs cost a lot less in China too.

Also when ordering directly from China you can forget about warranty, you will have to ship it back to China (and pay for shipping costs yourself) and then hope and pray that the seller honours the warranty as you have no way to appy pressure to the seller if he doesn't (assuming the seller is even still contactable and in business as these Chinese sellers often change their ebay accounts and trading names).

My Yamaha RM50 page
My Yamaha synths: RM50, TG77, TG500, EX5R, CS6R (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-DX)

V50fan
Netherlands

Unread post by V50fan » Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am

I don't care about warranty and all that stuff. I always have some old ide drives in spare, so if this SSD works ok for a few years then it is ok with me. I just looked and most 128 gb IDE-SSD's cost about 200-400
euros here in the Netherlands. If it will break, then it breaks and i am off to ebay again for a replacement.

Remember: always make backups, then this is not a problem.

I also think that it should be possible to have a working SATA drive with an IDE to SATA-converter, but this has to be tried out in the future. In essence, the Fusion has an SATA-interface, so i think it should be possible to have a working SATA drive in the Fusion.

www.synthstudiodevries.com
mstsfreak on alesis fusionforums :-)

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Great Britain

Unread post by parametric » Thu May 29, 2014 12:21 pm

V50fan wrote:I don't care about warranty and all that stuff. I always have some old ide drives in spare, so if this SSD works ok for a few years then it is ok with me. I just looked and most 128 gb IDE-SSD's cost about 200-400
euros here in the Netherlands. If it will break, then it breaks and i am off to ebay again for a replacement.
I agree. At £67 I paid, if it breaks, I'll just buy another . . . (I already did :idea: - I bought 2 . . . )
V50fan wrote:Remember: always make backups, then this is not a problem.
Absolutely. You MUST do this before the upgrade - or you'll have NOTHING to copy back to the SSD! (Doh!)
V50fan wrote:I also think that it should be possible to have a working SATA drive with an IDE to SATA-converter, but this has to be tried out in the future. In essence, the Fusion has an SATA-interface, so i think it should be possible to have a working SATA drive in the Fusion.
As I mentioned before - my attempts to make a sata drive work with the Fusion's PRIMARY Drive were not well done.

The IDE<=>Sata board I used was physically unsuitable for use as it wanted to stick vertically UP from the pcb-mounted IDE socket.

(It lies BETWEEN two piggy-backed boards)

Connecting it to the Drive-end of the ribbon is also problematic as it seems to be impossible to buy a CABLE MOUNTED IDE SOCKET (the one with PINS) - which you NEED to plug the converter IN.

I am therefore UNSURE if the failure to work was due to my bad connection attempts OR that the converter was just unsuitable in some way.

At the time, I did not want to un-piggyback the boards to plug the converter in where it SHOULD go.

As to SATA on the Fusion generally. The external socket we have on the rear was planned to be implemented in OS 2.x which (as we know) never materialised - a GREAT SHAME.

<Jesse> in the FusionZone/FusionClub, has looked at this, and believes the controller board reveals that the external "sata" port is actually a built-in IDE-Sata converter . . . .

All attempts (I know of) to connect a drive to it, including my own, have failed, as it seems that OS 1.24 has no knowledge of its existence. - which is curious, as the service manual has a screen shot of a drive connected:
Fusion ext HD.jpg
I don't know enough about controllers to know if there are differences enough that one may work while another one won't IYSWIM

It would be NICE to achieve it - as it would move the Fusion one more step away from obsolescence.

PATA drives are already getting harder to source - especially as small as 120Gb - let alone SSDs . . .

So we can only hope

parametric

EXer
France

Unread post by EXer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi parametric,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience!

I'm concerned about a HD failure, so I'd like to install a SSD in my 8HD while they are still available.

► Is this the same as the one you have installed in your Fusion, notwithstanding the capacity (this is a 64 GB; I'm even considering the 32 MB version) ?
► Could I use this kit to install and to connect the SSD into the Fusion ?

Thanks.
Last edited by EXer on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EX5 EX5 EX5R FS1R TX81Z TX81Z TX7 A4000
EX5Tech Member #101

Return to “Alesis Fusion Forum 6HD & 8HD”