Few questions i wanted to ask about my PSR S500

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

morcar

Few questions i wanted to ask about my PSR S500

Unread post by morcar » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:56 pm

ok first off i cant get the demo mode on i press the demo button and nothing happens do i need to do anything else ?

Look for styles to download and put into the keyboard but i cant find any so are there any sites i can get styles from ?

thanks
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: Few questions i wanted to ask about my PSR S500

Unread post by Saul » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:48 pm

Ok not had a look at the S500 myself but, as with many keyboards you can usually choose to load the demo's or not at start up. Perhaps an option has been checked not to load the demo's?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
brdsg1995

Unread post by brdsg1995 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:08 am

i use psr s500 keyboard. it dont have any midi, but i want to connect it to computer for working with fl studio. USB cable is required for that. which cable(name of the usb cable) is used for it?PLEASE ANSWER, it is really important
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 02, 2011 11:42 am

brdsg1995 wrote:i use psr s500 keyboard. it dont have any midi, but i want to connect it to computer for working with fl studio. USB cable is required for that. which cable(name of the usb cable) is used for it?PLEASE ANSWER, it is really important
You need a USB to Device type cable such as the one listed here
http://www.usbgear.com/UBAMBM-2M.html

You will also need the USB drivers as Yamaha keyboards aren't just plug and go but you can download those from :
http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musica ... mode=model

Remember though to install the drivers FIRST! Then plug your cable in and switch on the S500.

Hope that helps.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
brdsg1995

fl studio

Unread post by brdsg1995 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:37 pm

thanks to Saul now i can connect psr s500 to the pc. i have fl studio 9 producer edition. in the list of midi settings, i can see the yamaha usb. but i cant work with the keyboard on fl studio. when i play on the keyboard, i cant hear any sound. WHAT CHANGES SHOULD BE DONE ON MY KEYBOARD SETTINGS AND fl StUdIO SETTINGS?, very important for me. anybody pls help. PLEASE HELP ME
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 02, 2011 3:52 pm

Have you connected your keyboard and switched it on BEFORE launching FL Studio? If so and it shows in the list of midi devices in FL then go to options and midi settings and you should see your usb device there, make sure it's set to generic controller and that the little check box is set to enabled.

Also under the midi settings tab make sure you enable midi remote control, midi output and midi sync. you should now be able to hit a key on the PSR and trigger the sounds in FL Studio.

As far as the PSR is concerned, press and hold the demo button for longer than 1 second until the mode selector appears in the display. I think you need to set it to PC1 so try that first.

Hope that helps ?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

brdsg1995

Unread post by brdsg1995 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 pm

i hav done all that. but can u tell me how to play an instrument in fl studio with s500?
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 02, 2011 4:46 pm

In the output section of the midi set up window is your keyboard listed there? It should be. If it is then select an instrument from the list at the left and when it's window opens you should see just to the right of the instrument you want to play there is a small light? click that to make it active and you should now see the meter change when you press a key as well as hear the sound. Oh I assume you have set the audio output to your computer sound card or external interface if you have one ?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

brdsg1995

Thanks

Unread post by brdsg1995 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Thank you saul, it worked.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed May 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Very glad to hear it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

AlexanderL9
Armenia

Ableton live 10

Unread post by AlexanderL9 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:27 pm

Good evening everyone, I want to know can I connect my psr s500 to Ableton live 10..thank you in advance
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:57 pm

You should certainly be able to do that. :)

What operating system does your computer use? If it's Windows, be sure to install the correct version of Yamaha's USB-MIDI driver for Windows-- i.e., either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. I'm assuming that, if you're running Windows, that it's Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, in which case you need the most recent USB-MIDI driver from Yamaha. (DO NOT try to install whatever driver was originally included on CD-ROM with the PSR-S500.)

Note that installing the USB-MIDI driver can be tricky, because you MUST connect the keyboard to the computer and turn it on BEFORE installing the driver, because the driver needs to be able to see the keyboard while it's being installed.

If you're using macOS, I don't think you need to install a driver.

When you are setting up the MIDI Input and MIDI Output ports in Ableton Live, I think it's going to list the PSR-S500 as "Portable Keyboard-1," rather than as "PSR-S500." At least, that's the name which is listed at the top of the MIDI Implentation Chart on page 114 of the PSR-S500 Owner's Manual:

Code: Select all

YAMAHA     [ Portable Keyboard ]  <-- The description inside the brackets is how the keyboard will be listed as a MIDI device.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “PSR-S500”