Yamaha PSR S500

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

tulun

Yamaha PSR S500

Unread post by tulun » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Hi, everyone.

Anybody have owned the new osr s500?

I just want to know the sound quality...
Thanks
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:55 am

Haven't owned one but since it's based on the Tyros I don't think you'd be dissapointed with the sounds. Shame about the 32 note polyphony and would have been nice to have larger keyboard options but all in all it's not bad for the price :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
cabdriver

Yamaha S500

Unread post by cabdriver » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:01 pm

You will find lots of site URL's advertising the new PSR S500, but try and get one.
It's about time Yamaha stopped messing about and let its dealers know exactly when then can expect to be stocking this new keyboard.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:37 pm

I was wondering about this because finding information on Yamaha's site about it is not exactly straighforward. What's the big mystery here? Are they shipping it or not ?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
tulun

Thanks...

Unread post by tulun » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:25 pm

Thanks Admin for the reply...

It still not available here in Malaysia...
anyway, thanks a lot. At least I got information that it is based on tyros.

Oh, even the E403 got the good sound quality.

:( but I hope the sound quality was sampled in 44Khz :D
cabdriver

Unread post by cabdriver » Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:07 pm

Have had PSR S500 for a week now.

Pleased with it so far. Having previously owned Tyros 1 and PSR 3000 (which I disposed of in error during period of insanity), I can say that the voices are not too disimilar.

Only criticisms
(1) Saving to Registration Bank. You cannot identify the registration you are saving. You just place it in one of the eight banks, using one of the eight numbers within the bank. So, it means you have to keep a separate written index of which registrations are in which bank.
(2) Music Database not easy to use because contents are not filed in order of their title names.

So far I've not been ableo trace that little download that enables you to rename all the song titles, i.e. so that The Homes Green Grass becomes the Green Green Grass of Home, etc.

Would say that for what it costs me (£500) it is worth the expense.
tulun

Unread post by tulun » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:50 am

Wow.... about MYR3400.... expensive, can buy the psr 2100 already.

And can you please email me the sound sample? I just wanna know the sound quality.

But, for a portable keyboard that price, I rather go for PSR 550 or PSR 2100.

What's your opinion, guys?
cabdriver

Unread post by cabdriver » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Having enquired with Yamaha UK Technical Support abbout a download for changing the music database ttitles I have just received an email reply saying
"We are sorry, but there is no available download to change the PSR S500 Music Database Titles".

That should ensure that it races off the shelves.
tulun

Unread post by tulun » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:48 pm

The price are expensive, can buy those hi-grade keyboard already but the features are almost the same with the other "new edition" home keyboard...

- No 16 track sequencer ( only 8 )
- No Custom Style composer ( only load custom style )
- No on board memory ( not sure about this )
- No mixer function
- Not sure about appr. function
- Not sure about song quantize.

- New 4 Variations + 4 Fill-Ins + 3 Intro & endings ( Home Keyboard only got 2 variations + 2 fill ins + 2 intro + 2 endings ) based on styles.

- And most of all, XGLITE Tone Generator, not XG tone Generator like on those Hi Grade Keyboard.

It seems that Yamaha have abandoned most of the usefull features in their home keyboard, compared to their home keyboards many years ago. Those good ol'day when PSR 320 got Mixer function and a superior sound quality, even its GM.

Can you post me the S-500 demo sample, the Dance and the Ballad sample, if can the demo song.... please.
cabdriver

Unread post by cabdriver » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:19 pm

I have now heard officially from the local dealer that Yahama have said that there is no way, technically, that the MDB cryptic music titles in the PSR S500 can be changed.

So you are stuck with the cryptic music title names, which begs the question 'What is the point of having a name to each of the music titles'

My advice to anybody considering purchasing this keyboard is to give it a miss.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:42 am

That's so typical of Yamaha. Surely if they could name them in the first place then you can rename them ? Anyway...what idiot at yamaha got the names wrong in the first place? It's not that hard to get the correct titles for songs now is it ?

Everytime i pick up a piece of Yamaha gear there always seems to be some daft thing thet have done that makes the end user experience not as perfect as it could have been. Wake up Yamaha! Do some research for christ sakes.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Markomusic

Unread post by Markomusic » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:59 am

It is obvious that Yamaha choose the song titles in the MDB not to be exactly as the song they are based on - that's the point. Some of them are quite humorous to tell the truth and it is not hard to work out what they are. I think its great! 8)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:11 pm

Well, it's fine naming the songs back to front but not allowing the end user to edit them is completely wrong.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

tulun

Unread post by tulun » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:49 am

Another mistake from Yamaha.
I wonder why are they keep repeating the mistakes they made...

Anyway, at last I purchased the PSR550, after comparing the features & sounds. Even the S500 got new sound & style, it's lack of feature and the high price tag, wow.... I think PSR-550 is better.

Look at PSR-550
- 16 Track Sequencer
- Custom Accompaniment a.k.a Custom Style
- Fixed measure but it's OK. Can use seq. software to edit.
- On-board memory, even its small but enough
- Still no appr. function, but the multi pad should make it.
- Song & Style quantize.
- Mixer Function
- XG Tone Generator.

Even it only got 2 variations, I can combine it with the OTS function to get 6 different variations :D , include the intro & ending.
Caroline
Great Britain

Unread post by Caroline » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:42 am

Personally, as a piano player, I think the PSR s500 cant be beaten by anything in its price bracket. The Live Grand Piano sound is the best Ive found on any keyboard including the Clavinova digital piano range, and that one sound, to me, is well worth the money on its own. Add to that the hundreds of other functionality toys that come with it, and its an amazing piece of kit.

Regarding the registration keys, I personally use these to set up the 'sounds' only, so Ill have for example a 'stage' reverb, quieter style volume, louder strings dual etc, and then use these pre selected set ups and just hit whichever accompaniment I want to use at the time, country ballad for example. This means I get to know quickly my pre-set sounds, cool ep for a christmassy jingles, strings for schindlers list, guitar for Simon and Garfunkel etc, but I can just select styles and tempo for whichever mood Im in.

Another tip is to just write the set up on your sheet music rather than the registration bank. This will also cover you if you over save by accident or have a play on another machine (or upgrade even). If youve got a repertoire of 64 songs, all pre registered and no note of what accomp, lead, dual etc youve actually used, if you lose them, its hugely time consumming to second guess how you did it the first time!

But love it love it love it. The PSR S500 rocks!

Return to “PSR-S500”