PSR-500 midi help

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

webs

PSR-500 midi help

Unread post by webs » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:16 pm

hey guys..
i've just got a midi cable from a friend of mine.. that's the reason why i want to use my keyboard again.. nowadays im into beatproducing and maybe a keyboard will help me a step further..
this keyboard is very old.. i got it years ago..
my question is.. is there any way to connect my keyboard to my computer and use my keyboard as a controller for some programms (like fruityloops)?
so that the program plays the note when i play it on my keyboard?
if so.. can somebody explain me how
thanx
(sorry for my english im from holland)
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:02 pm

Hi webs,
Welcome to the Forum! You will need to have midi in/out ports on your computer (often located on the soundcard) and midi ports on your keyboard (at least in/out, thru is not necessary for this application). Take two midi cables and connect the midi out of keyboard to midi in of computer, midi out of computer to midi in of keyboard. Then make sure that the midi transmit/receive channels are set the same on both the keyboard and the computer software. You should then be able to do what you are asking about. Hope this helps.
Clyde
webs

Unread post by webs » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:39 am

hey thanx for your reply and your welcome
but i took a look at my computer and couldn't find some midi ports..
i looked up on several sites about a midi port for a computer and i found two choices for me.. a usb port for midi and a midi port which you can connect to the connection for a joystick etc.
so if you can tell me which one is the best choice :)
thanx
webs
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:08 pm

My guess is that the USB port for midi is a better choice, perhaps some other users can offer their experience.
Clyde
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 pm

Yeah hi Webs, welcome to the site.

USB is the better connection these days...if available. I would go for a Yamaha UX16 or if you want to spend slightly less there is this alternative from BCK http://tinyurl.com/2s269y

It makes life a lot simpler. You just plug it in. Load the drivers and...in theory away you go! You will also find the latency over USB is less than through standard midi cables. If you do find the latency too high I recommend downloading and installing Asio4All from http://www.asio4all.com/ and use that as your midi driver.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors

Return to “PSR-S500”