PSR S500 Harmonics

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

stringman

PSR S500 Harmonics

Unread post by stringman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:53 am

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have just purchased a PSR S500 and am very pleased with it. However, I don't seem to have the hang of the harmonics function. I had a Technics keyboard before this one and the harmonics, on piano, were really good . On the Yamaha there seems to be hardly any difference, on piano, when the harmonics button is on. Also, there is virtually no difference between the settings, Block, Duet, Trio etc. Am I missing something? Is there some other function I should be initiating - some other button I should be pressing.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Stringman
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi stringman,
Welcome to the Forums! Perhaps an S500 user can give you some solutions, have you researched it in the owners manual? Yeah, I know, who reads owner's manuals. Well, I do, with a new piece of gear I may spend several days or up to a few weeks with the manual and a notepad in my lap until I get completely familar with the gear. It may be that you have to enter the edit mode and save the setting, your manual may answer this question.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Clyde wrote:Hi stringman,
Welcome to the Forums! Perhaps an S500 user can give you some solutions, have you researched it in the owners manual? Yeah, I know, who reads owner's manuals. Well, I do, with a new piece of gear I may spend several days or up to a few weeks with the manual and a notepad in my lap until I get completely familiar with the gear. It may be that you have to enter the edit mode and save the setting, your manual may answer this question.
Clyde
Talking about reading Manuals...;)....

...even after getting my Yamaha MM6 a few months ago I still take the Manual to bed each night, and read it from cover to cover, and still find something new and interesting...

...(not a lost else to do in bed these days....unfortunately!)... :oops: ...!

LOL... :lol: ...!

Mind you...it really is an extremely well designed and fully illustrated Manual, with impeccable English...10/10 for the Author... :wink: ...!

Paul.... 8) ...!

And even now, I still regularly browse through all my Yamaha DX Synthesizer Manuals... :) ...!

A Manual a day, helps you work, rest, and play... :D ...!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
Caroline
Great Britain

Unread post by Caroline » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:00 am

Im aware this is an old thread, but if anyone one else has the same query, the harmony function (and all the effects for this) only works when using accompaniments.

The nearest you may get to a fuller right hand if you just want to expand your piano playing is the piano octave/2nd octave selection as your main voice. Personally I dont like the sound of the octave pianos, as the 'Live Grand just cant be beaten'.

One way to fake a full harmonised right hand, is to lay down your accompaniement track, then record your 'harmonised' right hand, then delete the accompaniment track. This will leave you with a recorded right hand track. Its one way to then build up your own left hand accompaniements, drums, strings etc without being tied to a standard psr style.

To play live though, do keep practising putting chords into you right hand, youd be amazed how quickly your brain/hand picks up standard chord patterns, but always remember to keep the tune as your top note of the chord. xx

Return to “PSR-S500”