MIDI file extension

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

stringman

MIDI file extension

Unread post by stringman » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:04 am

I have downloaded various MIDI files from the internet and none of these appear to have a file extension. I want to store some of these in my PSR S500 keyboard but am having little success. Is it necessary to rename the files and add a file extension; if so, what would the extension be?

Regards
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:14 am

The file extensions for midi are usually .mid or .midi

If the files you downloaded have no extension you can simply rename them. However first, assuming your running Windows XP? Go into windows explorerand at the top in the menu choose Tools and then Folder Options then View and look for the check box that says "Hide Extensions For Known File Types" if it is checked, uncheck it. Then look at the files you downloaded to see if they now have an extension.

By the way, I am assuming the files you downloaded were not archived in .zip or .rar format, if they were then obviously you have to extract the files first. You can do that by simply right clicking on the file and choose to "extract here"

Let us know how you get on.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
stringman

Unread post by stringman » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:58 am

Thanks for that Saul, the files are loaded and working fine although the manual didn't help much.

I am now trying to load style files with the standard .sty extension. I have these on a Flash memory device (the same one as the Midi files) but the keyboard doesn't seem to recognise them. I have tried putting them in the same folder as the midi files and also in a different folder but no luck.

It seems odd that the keyboard recognises a midi file in a particular folder but not a style file.

Do you have any suggestions?

Regards from Melbourne.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:13 am

Have you tried putting them in the root of the drive? i.e not in any folder at all ?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:02 am

I think you're right there Saul. If I remember correctly Yamaha has for a long time recognized individual files but not folders.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.

Return to “PSR-S500”