mm6 versus psr s500

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

theskinmd

mm6 versus psr s500

Unread post by theskinmd » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:04 am

hi everyone. i need help . i torn between mm6 and psr s500. i'm just a simple keyboard player, more on just jamming. what should i buy and easier... fun to use? thanks. :D
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:18 am

Hi and welcome to the site :)

Not an easy question to answer....as you have already discovered. Both keyboards are good and it really comes down to what sort of player you are ?

The S500 is what I would call a real arranger keyboard. It's often described as a mini Tyros and that would be an accurate description. It has excellent presets, good selection of intro's, endings and main styles. A perfectly adequate sequencer, 150 built in Styles plus you can create your own and of course it has some very good built in speakers which the MM6 doesn't have. If they had added some proper midi ports it would have been just about perfect. In any case, for the price I think it's a bit of a bargain.

The MM6 on the other hand is advertised as a mini Motif which, it definitely is not! It has far more in common with the PSR's than any Motif and this goes as far as actually having many PSR presets. It's definitely a fun keyboard and you can very quickly just switch on and jam...but you can do that with the S500 also. The main problem I have with the MM6 comes down to the fact that it's "supposed" to be a synth and it isn't. It has very limited sound creation features. There is no user voice area, no user arps, although it does have a large number of preset arps so that may not be a problem for many and it has crippled midi functionality.

My own personal opinion and , I stress this is MY opinion, is that the S500 is far better value for money. Only thing you can do really though is get yourself into a store and check them both out. Play around with them for an hour or so and see which one you get on better with.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
pokkel

Unread post by pokkel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:31 pm

i was in the same situation a couple of weeks ago.But i didnt bought them. i bought de psr 1500. it's a little bit more expensive but it has al that you want. 96 poly, lots of connections,sound creator.... .
I 'm verry happy with it
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:49 pm

Hi pokkel,
Welcome to the Forums! When we shop with a firm budget set, it is very easy to lose sight of the fact that for a few dollars more we can get something with better features/quality instead of sticking to the budget and buying something that is just adequate. I have found when I buy "just adequate" I don't really save any money because I'm dis-satisfied within a couple of months and end up spending more money to upgrade.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Pokkel.

That was a good buy. The 1500 is a great keyboard. However I think it's about £150 more expensive than the S500 and also it's a discontinued model now. Still, that does mean that perhaps hunting around in the classified might turn up a bargain :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:32 pm

Another tip with recently discontinued models, check the low volume shops that might still have one or two lingering in the stockroom instead of the large retailers that turn over inventory often.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
theskinmd

Unread post by theskinmd » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:49 am

hi everyone. thanks for the great advise. :D yamaha distributor in my country in on sale!! yahoo... but here's the catch... the model i'm planning to get is not anymore available... 8O now ... i'm planning to get the more expensive PSR S900. far much my budget :roll: ... but as they say... it pays more to get more... i hope i'm making the right decision.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:20 am

That's quite a jump in price from the S500! I think the S900 still sells for something like £900 here in the UK.

It's a great keyboard though and I am sure if you can get one you wont be disappointed with it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “PSR-S500”