New Yamaha PSR S550?

PSR-S500 Information and Advice

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

ajay67

Re: New Yamaha PSR S550?

Unread post by ajay67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 am

i've tried the S550 at a showroom today. yeah it sounds great & i feel very comfortable playing, just like when i play my old psr keyboard. i listened to many of the voices & most are very nice. i didn't find the guitar voice which has the "slide" sound. i thought i read that one the guitar voices got this feature. i like the feature where i can turn off the accompaniment tracks & just got the one i want to hear. very flexible & handy during performing & jamming with friends. i got no time to listen many of the styles but the "special" styles like arabic & chinese sound nice too. the speakers are quite adequate for simple doodling at home before i start thinking to buy powered speakers of some sort.

so in conclusion, i already know which keyboard i should buy next (& hopefully very soon)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:10 am

Those dynamic guitar voices are in there Ajay. Can't tell you where but they are definitely there. I have the same on my Fantom X6 and it makes a big difference to the way you play guitar on the keyboard. Oddly enough my Korg M3 never had this feature.

Anyway, glad to hear you like the S550 :) Did they have the black version or just the silver?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC.

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
ajay67

Unread post by ajay67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 am

black of course! never seen silver one yet
somehow i missed that dynamic guitar. quite sure i tried ALL of the guitar voices one by one & knock the key hard to make the slide sound. tried it on an MM6 & it worked. still, those acoustic guitar voices do sound quite real & nice, even without the slide sound
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Wasn't there a sales person there who could have shown you the dynamic guitar sounds? Did you try voice number 68 "Cool! Slide Clean" ? or 62 "Dynamic Nylon" ? They should respond with velocity so if there not I would guess someone has turned the touch sensitivity off. You can do this from a front panel button and also alter the level of sensitivity. Might be worth going back to the store and checking this?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Harley Benton CLA-15MCE/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
ajay67

Unread post by ajay67 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm

i remember those names.. yeah. could be sensitivity button off as u said.
salesman? over here they employ students to follow u. i think i know how to handle the psr better than 'em :)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Sounds like when I lived in Saudi Arabia. The music stores there seemed to be manned by people who would be good at selling you a hi-fi but knew next to nothing about the keyboards they stocked :(
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

ajay67

Unread post by ajay67 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:28 am

btw, i've placed a deposit & ordered it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:47 am

Well done Ajay! Look forward to hearing how you get on with it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

ajay67

Unread post by ajay67 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 am

ok so i've been exploring my new keyboard for the past 2 days. here is what i found so far :
1. sounds great! some of the voices really impress me, particularly some of the EPs, acoustic guitar & flutes
2. controls are fine, except when i wanna change the left sound. need to hold the L button then change. & i can't put dual on the left side (not sure this is the keyboard's limitation or i couldn't find the way, most probably the former)
3. styles are plentiful & some are very nice, but still i need more! the ones for reggae is not enough (& not suitable for those UB40 songs ;) ). sadly, i could only use PSR2000 styles & some style converted from midi files. i donno why it can't display other PSRs' styles (tried 740, 620, 3000, 9000) eventhough all are .sty files.
4. style creator is one of the BIG reason i bought it. i just tried it & so far it's difficult to do, with too many steps. the quantise function doesn't come out right. maybe i need a little more time to get familiar
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 17, 2010 9:44 am

Hi Ajay

As you found there are always going to be a few compromises lower down the model range however I think creating styles on any of the current range of PSR's is a bit of a dark art. I have not come across anyone who has found it easy and most people just resort to ready made styles. I don't know why Yamaha make it so difficult for the user. Roland for instance make it very easy by automating the whole process for you.

Having had the benefit now of using the Korg M3, Roland Fantom X and the Yamaha XS it seems Yamaha are still not getting it! Both the Korg and Roland are so easy to use compared to the XS and that seems to permeate through the whole range of Roland, Korg and Yamaha Keyboards. In each comparable model category Roland & Korg always win out in ease of use. The other aspects are debatable.

Still, given a choice between the MM6 and the PSR S500 I would still take the 500 any day :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

ajay67

Unread post by ajay67 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:08 am

the idea is to create the styles without using pc. if it's difficult, i'd better create them on the pc instead. but hey.. i'm only using it for few hrs. hopefully i can master it in no time :D
Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 am

Two things I cannot forgive Yamaha for, with the PSR S500/S550, is the omission of the Modulation Wheel....

...and...

The 5-pin DIN MIDI In/Out Sockets!

I'm sure the cost of incorporating them would not have been astronomical!

The Modulation Wheel is useful for all sorts of effects, and the MIDI In/Out Sockets are vital for interconnection between other Keyboards and Sound Modules!

Yamaha have incorporated DIN MIDI sockets since the invention of MIDI, in their various keyboards, but some of their latest models are lacking them for some strange reason!...(PSR E413, etc!).... :cry: ...!

Once you have accumulated a couple of keyboards and sound modules, etc, those DIN MIDI In/Out/Thru Sockets are worth their weight in gold!

I cannot understand Yamaha's reason for omitting them!.... :evil: ....!
..(or the crippling of the "MIDI In" Socket on the MM6/MM8!)... :cry: ...!

Paul...A MIDI 5-Pin DIN Socket Enthusiast Extraordinaire!... :lol: ...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue May 18, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 am

Couldn't agree more! Those midi sockets would add very little if anything to the manufacturing cost and yet they are so useful to musicians the world over. I can't think of a sensible reason why they have been omitted from so many of Yamaha's keyboards these days. It wouldn't be so bad if you could link keyboards and modules via usb or some sort of adapter but that seems not to be an option unless your going through a computer.

Roland have proper midi connectors on all their arranger workstations from the low end E09 at £399 right through to the top of the range E80 at £1800.

Same goes for Korg with their PA series keyboards.

So, Yamaha, what's up with leaving out the midi connectors?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Tue May 18, 2010 10:44 am

Saul wrote:Couldn't agree more! Those midi sockets would add very little if anything to the manufacturing cost and yet they are so useful to musicians the world over. I can't think of a sensible reason why they have been omitted from so many of Yamaha's keyboards these days. It wouldn't be so bad if you could link keyboards and modules via usb or some sort of adapter but that seems not to be an option unless your going through a computer.

Roland have proper midi connectors on all their arranger workstations from the low end E09 at £399 right through to the top of the range E80 at £1800.

Same goes for Korg with their PA series keyboards.

So, Yamaha, what's up with leaving out the midi connectors?

It can be done, Saul....

...but at an additional cost of £60, on top of the price of the Yamaha Keyboard!!... 8O ...!

Yamaha UX16...(USB to 5-pin DIN MIDI In/Out adaptor)...>>>

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/music_ ... e=overview

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-UX-16-US ... B000I1Q58W

Scandalous!.... :evil: ...!

Paul..... :wink: ...!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue May 18, 2010 11:09 am

Wouldn't you know it. It's a "Yamaha" product that enables you to connect via midi...like you should have been able to do in the first place! and £60!!? That's ridiculous! :evil:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “PSR-S500”