Hello from the Philadelphia, Pa (USA) area

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

User avatar United States of America
lenster

Hello from the Philadelphia, Pa (USA) area

Unread post by lenster » Sun May 12, 2019 8:27 am

Greetings, to all.
I have been in this forum for a while and catch facebook alerts. However I am still a Yamaha Newbie. Recently bought a ModX7. Love it and am still trying to understand how it does what it does. I have been a Korg freek (still am) for decades, but I am seriously enjoying my ModX7. One gripe that I have is that I have such a hard time hearing the keyboard when gigging, and ironically people come up to me and say," Wow that keyboard sounds awesome." I am responding like oh nice, Wish I could hear it. Aside from that. I am using Sysex to control patch changes during live sets. (Ipad w Unrealbook If anyone needs help with Sysex programming, I might be able to help/) What I want to do is prepare some rhythm tracks that sound like I have a conga /percussion player with me for little Duet/trio/cafe gigs. I would be happy to "friend up' with members. Thanks.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from the Philadelphia, Pa (USA) area

Unread post by Saul » Sun May 12, 2019 10:20 am

Hey lenster, welcome to the forums :)

I am also a KORG fan...and Roland and Casio and Dexibell, ok just like keyboards :lol: But yeah, the MODX is quite an amazing bit of kit when you consider how much Yamaha packed in for so little money.

How are you monitoring your own sound when gigging?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
puremusic

Unread post by puremusic » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 am

Hey nice to see another PA guy! Yeah the sounds on those ModXs are sure impressive.
Roland FP-90 - Touchkeys - TEC BC - MIDI Expression
Kontakt - Arturia CS80 - Arturia Piano V - Sonivox Eighty-Eight - Spitfire Symphony Orchestra
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun May 12, 2019 10:38 am

Welcome, lenster! I'll bet there will be some members who take you up on your offer to help with SysEx programming. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
lenster

Unread post by lenster » Sun May 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Saul wrote:How are you monitoring your own sound when gigging?
Saul, I use a small Behringer mixer that feeds an Alto 12" monitor, sends a line out to the main board, and another line out to in-ear monitors. Given that I have deteriorating hearing and constant ringing, I take that into consideration. I use the in-ear monitors so that I am not blasting my band mates off the stage. The Alto is usually angled in my direction. It could be that my ears and brain have to acclimate to the Yamaha sounds, which seem softer than the Korg's. I find that (if the mixer setting are equal for both) the Korg Krome volume knob is set to around 11:00 while the Modx knob is set to around 3:00.
- Lenster
Myke

Unread post by Myke » Tue May 21, 2019 3:38 pm

Hey Lenster,

Greetings from a fellow Philadelphian!

A long-time user of Yamaha keys – back to the DX7, SY77, and more recently, Motif 6 and XF7. (Also made the plunge into wild and wacky world of Korg-land with a Kronos 2-73.)

Now, a two-month owner of a Montage 6. Looking forward to learning much from the helpful people here!

-Myke
[i]Plugged in: [/i]Montage 6 / Korg Kronos 73 SE / Roland FA-08
[i]Sitting idly by or sold:[/i] Motif 6, XF7 / SY77 / SY85 / DX7 (x2) / Alesis Q8 / CP33

[i]Esse quam videri![/i]

Return to “Introduce Yourself”