First post and hello to all

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

User avatar Great Britain
DRM44

First post and hello to all

Unread post by DRM44 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi from Dave in Cheshire U.K.
Glad to be here on this great forum. I am a retired pro drummer and now play a tyros3 for the last nine years also have a Casio CTK-6000, and QSC K10 series1 speakers. I record my own midi files and purchase a few songs which are too difficult for me to get the arrangement right. I am in the process of upgrading my Tyros3 to probably a Genos or perhaps a Korg pa4x although I'm having trouble getting the Korg to upload my files at my local PMT music shop. I would appreciate any comments regarding my upgrade and I do have some specific questions which I will post in hopefully the right place.
Thanks for having me
Dave
User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: First post and hello to all

Unread post by Derek » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Hello and Welcome

I probably can't help much myself, as I am not an "arranger keyboard" user, but please do post your questions, and I am sure that others with the experience will be able to help. :)
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Dave, welcome to the forums :)

Going by what you said the Genos is definitely an option but have you also looked at the new [utl=https://europe.yamaha.com/en/news_event ... sx900.html]PSR-SX900[/url]? Not so much money and might do everything you want.

The KORG PA4X is a great keyboard but I don't think we have many...or perhaps any owners on the forum. We do have plenty of Genos owners who would be happy to answer your questions. Keep in mind the time differences though. We are UK based but over half our members are on the other side of the world. So if there is a delay in getting an answer just hang in there ok :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
DRM44

Unread post by DRM44 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Thank you Derek and Saul. I'm sure I'll get some good advice here. Just off to do a gig on The Wirral.
Dave
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:01 pm

Best of luck with the gig Dave :) (Y)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:00 am

DRM44 wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:10 pm
Hi from Dave in Cheshire U.K.
Glad to be here on this great forum. I am a retired pro drummer and now play a tyros3 for the last nine years also have a Casio CTK-6000, and QSC K10 series1 speakers. I record my own midi files and purchase a few songs which are too difficult for me to get the arrangement right. I am in the process of upgrading my Tyros3 to probably a Genos or perhaps a Korg pa4x although I'm having trouble getting the Korg to upload my files at my local PMT music shop. I would appreciate any comments regarding my upgrade and I do have some specific questions which I will post in hopefully the right place.
Thanks for having me
Dave
You say you have your Tyros 3 for 9 years. Divide the price difference among Genos and PSR-SX900 by 9. Would you be without the best one for such an small yearly difference? :mrgreen:

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, Genos (and 1992' FJ1200 :mrgreen: )

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76
Modartt Pianoteq 6 Stage
NI Komplete 12, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Roland D-50, JV-1080, XV-3080, Fantom G6
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
DRM44

Unread post by DRM44 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:37 pm

Hi Jose, yes I think you are correct, I am lucky to have the funds for The Genos and also a very understanding wife so I'm convinced that the Genos is the way to go, I just have a few questions to post before I go ahead. Thanks for the input
Dave
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:42 pm

Dave, I think it would be a good idea to note down all the things you want your new keyboard to do and then tick off how many of those the Genos can do? It is a great keyboard, of that there is no doubt but I do know some people have been disappointed with it due to not being able to do certain things that they expected of a keyboard at this price point. No audio interface is one of them.

Definitely worth taking your time over :think:
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

DRM44

Unread post by DRM44 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:03 am

Saul, you are a mind reader, I've just got up and it's now Monday morning. I'm sitting here compiling a list of all the things I need so that I can post some questions to your knowledgeable members. Thankfully an audio interface is not on my must have list but I do agree with you that Yamaha have missed an opportunity by not putting one on the Genos
Dave
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:18 am

DRM44 wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:03 am
Saul, you are a mind reader, I've just got up and it's now Monday morning. I'm sitting here compiling a list of all the things I need so that I can post some questions to your knowledgeable members. Thankfully an audio interface is not on my must have list but I do agree with you that Yamaha have missed an opportunity by not putting one on the Genos
Dave
Foe me, one of the important factors in Genos is keybed, by having 76 keys instead of 61 and also for the touch quality (we don't know yet how the SX series will be) and the aftertouch. I own a lot of keyboards (take a look at my signature) and have tested lots more and, IMHO, the Genos is one of the better, if not the best, semi-weighted synth-type I have. And of course, some other very good ones are no longer made, as the EX5 keybed.

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, A3000, AN1x, EX5, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, Genos (and 1992' FJ1200 :mrgreen: )

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76
Modartt Pianoteq 6 Stage
NI Komplete 12, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Roland D-50, JV-1080, XV-3080, Fantom G6
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
DRM44

Unread post by DRM44 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:57 am

Hi Jose.
Thank you for your response it was most welcome. You have certainly had lots of boards, I started off with what I think was called a Yamaha SQ16 which was great for its time and since have owned Roland D50, Roland Alpha Juno and yamaha psr8000, psr900pro and finally Tyros3 so I'm now looking forward to getting the Genos. I really do appreciate you guys giving me advice and information. I will try to help out myself to others when I am more familiar with things.
Dave
User avatar Spain
alexuschi

Unread post by alexuschi » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Hello Everybody

I like to buy a PSR SX 900
Somebody knows if its posible to start audio and midi together an i can see the lyrics what is in the midifile?
thanks
Alex

Return to “Introduce Yourself”