From a country so far, far away..

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: parametric, Derek

Zeit
Location.: Montevideo, Uruguay, South America

From a country so far, far away..

Unread post by Zeit »

Hi everyone!

I'm glad to be here, really. Thanks for let me be part of this community.
First of all, let me introduce myself and my little piece of history with synths and gear, where Yamaha's were playing a pivotal role.
My name is Mario and i live in a small but beautiful South American country named Uruguay.
I'm 48 and i've been involved with synths and related gear since i was 16. My first contact with a synth was with a DX7, commanded by the now venerable CX5M. My first garage band setup involved two DX7 and a CX5M as a sequencer. I learned how to sequence in a computer, besides on a hardware sequencer as it might be.
At first, (i must confess) i hated the learning curve of the FM synthesis. I hated the DX7, seemed to me like programming a nuclear reactor, with it's algorythms and things...

Years and bands passed, my learning music years so, and at the (yet famous in my country) "Yamaha Music School" was the place for refining my musical crafts, a QX-5, DX 27 and DX 11 were regular part of my band's setup, and in my mid-twenties I was teaching synthesis, sampling and MIDI in a music school.
Then, when teaching digital synthesis, i had to teach about FM synths. And i fell in love with the DX7 at the same time i was showing my pupils how to program sounds on it. It was a trip with no return.
My G.A.S. attack was strong, i MUST have a DX7 in my hands again!
After a exhaustive search, finally a DX7IIFD equipped with a E! Grey Matter expansion card arrived home. Now it's waiting a floppy emulator to replace it's floppy disk drive.

Along the way the samplers have been one of my axes. Starting with a humble Commodore Amiga 500 and Digital Sound Studio suite, my first chops then traslated into the hardware world. Akai S1000 and E-mu ESI 32 soon knocked at my home studio door.

Not satisfied with this, and always been curious about Yamaha step into sampling world, i've adquired for a ripoff price an A3000. The seller told me it was broken. Once at home, was only a sort of replacing it's floppy disk drive for an emulator and cleaning the encoder board, adding a small fix for the encoders and voilá... sampling power in my hands. Luckily a V2.0, coupled with B-Zone and Yamaha Remote on an old computers, it's a charm to work with. Lying around my computer spares box were some SIMM RAM modules that were compatible with the Yammy... arrived home with stock sampling RAM, now has 64 MB that for my purposes are enough. No SCSI, that's the only drawback.

Last addition was a Casio FZ-1, whose floppy disk drive although in good shape was replaced by a floppy emulator. The only thing of this marvelous beast is the endemic display syndrome, connectors to the motherboard are heavily damaged and i'm only operating it by memorizing front panel keystrokes sequences. Waiting for a replacement or a fix to come soon, rare as hens teeth.

Sorry for the long post, and i'm pleased to be here. I'm always willing to learn.

Cheers!

"I'm always willing to learn when you have something to teach"
shelly0624
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: United Sates

VIP

Re: From a country so far, far away..

Unread post by shelly0624 »

At first, (i must confess) i hated the learning curve of the FM synthesis. I hated the DX7, seemed to me like programming a nuclear reactor, with it's algorythms and things...

Years and bands passed, my learning music years so, and at the (yet famous in my country) "Yamaha Music School" was the place for refining my musical crafts, a QX-5, DX 27 and DX 11 were regular part of my band's setup, and in my mid-twenties I was teaching synthesis, sampling and MIDI in a music school.
Then, when teaching digital synthesis, i had to teach about FM synths. And i fell in love with the DX7 at the same time i was showing my pupils how to program sounds on it. It was a trip with no return.
Wow, what an evolution! It is an encouragement to those of us who love music and keyboards, but find the technology daunting sometimes. You are an inspiration :D
Thank you for sharing. You have a lot to contribute here and hopefully also to gain.
A pleasure to meet you..

parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Near Watford, United Kingdom

VIP

Re: From a country so far, far away..

Unread post by parametric »

Hi Zeit . . . . and welcome to the forums . . .

THAT is quite a history . . . . You've used a lot of different gear, and no doubt learned much - and from the ground UP

Which is often the best way. :wink:

I notice your recent acquisition of an FZ-1 . . .

As it happens, there is a very interesting project coming to fruition in here for a complete replacement of the display . . . ((i))

It's a LONG thread - but interesting to watch how it all developed: https://www.yamahamusicians.com/forum/v ... 127#p92127

This may be just what you need. It looks fantastic . . . . .

Glad to have you onboard . . .

parametric

Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris