Hello from Germany

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

Hirsch
Location.: Germany (Bavaria)

Hello from Germany

Unread post by Hirsch »

Hello everybody,
I'm new in this forum and I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Hubert and I'm from Germany. I'm interested in MIDI music in retro PC games from the 90s and play trumpet/horn. (Yamaha makes great brass instruments :) )

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Hello from Germany

Unread post by Saul »

Hello Hubert. A very warm welcome to the forum. Great to have a brass player join us. I don't think we have many of those here at the moment. :think:

When you say "retro games from the 90's" can you elaborate? I have been a gamer since as far back as I can remember...that's a VERY long time unfortunately :lol:

Saul
Site Admin

Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
Hirsch
Location.: Germany (Bavaria)

Re: Hello from Germany

Unread post by Hirsch »

Thank you very much for the welcome :-)

Lots of MS-DOS games in the 90s used MIDI music as soundtrack before techniques like mp3 and others were available for this job. My first PC in that time had a straight Soundblaster 16 card. While sound effects like firing a shotgun were good, its MIDI synthesizer capabilities were poor. (I loved the games nevertheless.) These games come to my mind when I remember that time:
Duke Nukem 3D
Doom
Warcraft
Descent
System Shock
...and many others

Instead of using the poor MIDI capabilies you could also use am external synthezizer because most sound cards had an external mini interface. This Youtube video gives a good idea what it sounds like:

Some sound cards even had an internal interface called "Waveblaster" where you could piggyback a wavetable board. The Yamaha DB50XG is a very good one from that time, but it is extremely rare and hard to find nowadays. Other manufactors like Korg also had Waveblaster cards. The good news is, that a company from Belgium introduced a new Waveblaster card called "Dreamblaster X2". It has a programmable soundbank and some enthusiasts create custom versions for retro games and whatever. As you can see, this topic is still very exciting. You might get an idea what Dreamblaster sounds like in this Youtube Video: