Greetings from North Carolina

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

DHogan

Greetings from North Carolina

Unread post by DHogan »

Hi. I wanted to join this forum because of jumping into the THR line of products. I ordered a new THR30ii from Sweetwater and love it. So I went on a search for a cost friendly THR100HD which I found on Reverb. I have a few questions and any moderator reading this, please feel free to move it or suggest a proper place for these questions. Thanks in advance....Don

Does phantom power effect the 100HD when using the xls outs going to a board with global phantom ? No way to individually turn off phantom...
Does anyone gig with the THR30ii using the 1/4' direct outs?? Small, 50 person gigs or so. Mine sounds great going out that way to a PA.
With all the new cabs available, is the THRC212 still the best option for the 100HD? Are Ling 6 power cabs an option with the IR's already installed?
My THR100HD has never been updated but sounds really good as is. Is it worth doing the updates. If so do I need to do them all or just the latest? Is there a link to explain this process? My unit is probably 7 or 8 years old . New ...old stock...

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but I want to testify that everything people say about these units are true. I'm getting twice as much playing done with better tone right out of the gate. I was using a Line 6 helix and a Fractal Audio FM-3 and could not get away from tweeking knobs. I spent 70% of my time dialing in tones and 30% playing guitar. I had some great sounds and both those units are awesome. But now I'm learning music and I'm happier, my band mates are happier, and my wife likes the Yamaha stuff better.....D

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from North Carolina

Unread post by Saul »

Welcome to the forums :)

I can't really help with the THR as I am primarily an acoustic player but it interesting what you say about playing more now than when you used the Helix and Fractal Audio FM-3. We can often get lost in "tweaking" and trying hundreds of presets/user sounds and spend next to no time actually playing the guitar or keyboard.

Sometimes it is good to go back to basics (Y)

Saul
Site Admin

Brand Ambassador For Dowina Guitars
Appreciate the forum? Buy me a coffeeImage
Acoustic Guitar Reviews On Facebook
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is at times supported by Amazon Associate and other affiliate links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website or other vendors websites. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help support the running costs of the site via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.
DHogan

Unread post by DHogan »

Thanks for the reply Saul,,, I'm also an acoustic player. I cut my teeth on Doc Watson , Norman Blake, etc. Then moved on to Tony Rice, Kenny Smith, etc. The electric is such a contrast to my normal routine . I'm really enjoying the new stuff and getting to play out more because of being able to be a little more versatile . Mostly outdoor gigs for now.....
Maybe a Yamaha guru will chime in soon. Thanks, Don

katster

Unread post by katster »

DHogan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:51 pm Hi. I wanted to join this forum because of jumping into the THR line of products. I ordered a new THR30ii from Sweetwater and love it. So I went on a search for a cost friendly THR100HD which I found on Reverb. I have a few questions and any moderator reading this, please feel free to move it or suggest a proper place for these questions. Thanks in advance....Don

Does phantom power effect the 100HD when using the xls outs going to a board with global phantom ? No way to individually turn off phantom...
Does anyone gig with the THR30ii using the 1/4' direct outs?? Small, 50 person gigs or so. Mine sounds great going out that way to a PA.
With all the new cabs available, is the THRC212 still the best option for the 100HD? Are Ling 6 power cabs an option with the IR's already installed?
My THR100HD has never been updated but sounds really good as is. Is it worth doing the updates. If so do I need to do them all or just the latest? Is there a link to explain this process? My unit is probably 7 or 8 years old . New ...old stock...

I'm sure I will have more questions later, but I want to testify that everything people say about these units are true. I'm getting twice as much playing done with better tone right out of the gate. I was using a Line 6 helix and a Fractal Audio FM-3 and could not get away from tweeking knobs. I spent 70% of my time dialing in tones and 30% playing guitar. I had some great sounds and both those units are awesome. But now I'm learning music and I'm happier, my band mates are happier, and my wife likes the Yamaha stuff better.....D
Welcome to the forum!