Hey and Hi

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:55 pm

Well this is my 2nd post.
But I just joined.
So Hi!
Come here in my quest to finally...get my QY70 (and data on MDF2) hooked up to my macbook pro.
So lets see how much luck I get :D

/squishy
music@https://soundcloud.com/squishmusic
https://www.facebook.com/squishmusic/

//
Gear 2019: Alesis Micron, Casio VL1, Novation RemoteZeroSL, Yamaha DJX1, Yamaha QY70, Yamaha SY35, Yamaha MDF2 - - iOS: Nanoloop, Nanostudio, iMPC, iMaschine, Thicket.
Gear I miss: almost all of what I got rid of! :D Nostalgic for my Yamaha TG33 & RM1X. Good days with them :D
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 970
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:24 am

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:39 am

Welcome, squishy! I wish you the best of luck in getting everything connected and communicating together. :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3754
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by parametric » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Welcome squishy . . . .

Some nice ambient stuff on your soundcloud there . . . . .

I notice the MDF-2 Data Filer in your list . . .

Like many of the Yamaha (and other) Synths of that era, it has the DSDD (720k) floppy drive inside - as does my SY85.

This drive is BELT driven, and these drives have now reached an age when you may expect the belt to stretch,

or go "gooey" (sticky) with age. The SPEED of the drive is crucial to it's correct operation - so a stretched or slipping belt WILL likely

result in a fault condition . . . . .usually causing a <Disk Error> type messages when using it.

The Drives themselves are well made and generally RESPOND well to servicing.

New belts are available and it's not difficult to do. (Take the opportunity to clean the head at the same time - it all helps) (Y)

There are numerous descriptions of how to do this in the SY85/TG500 section of the Forums . . . .

I fixed my own SY85 drive this way . . .

ATB

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:21 pm

SeaGtGruff wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:39 am
Welcome, squishy! I wish you the best of luck in getting everything connected and communicating together. :)
Thanks SeaGtGruff. Ive been a-googling :D
Havent yet found a dedicated to-host port - to - usb cable (i know a usb/midi interface would suffice) just exploring the options to connect the QY70 to Macbook and iPad..
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:26 pm

parametric wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:50 pm
Welcome squishy . . . .
Some nice ambient stuff on your soundcloud there . . . . .
I notice the MDF-2 Data Filer in your list . . .
Like many of the Yamaha (and other) Synths of that era, it has the DSDD (720k) floppy drive inside - as does my SY85.
This drive is BELT driven, and these drives have now reached an age when you may expect the belt to stretch,
or go "gooey" (sticky) with age. The SPEED of the drive is crucial to it's correct operation - so a stretched or slipping belt WILL likely
result in a fault condition . . . . .usually causing a <Disk Error> type messages when using it.
The Drives themselves are well made and generally RESPOND well to servicing.
New belts are available and it's not difficult to do. (Take the opportunity to clean the head at the same time - it all helps) (Y)
There are numerous descriptions of how to do this in the SY85/TG500 section of the Forums . . . .
I fixed my own SY85 drive this way . . .
ATB

parametric
Hi and THANKS Parametric! :)
I call it 'electrorgasmichilloutechnosoup' but I suppose the squishy sound is quite ambient at heart. Im such a softy lol

Anyway, WOW on your tips about the data filer
I have 2 MDF1 that had disk error and yeah one belt broke...I just left them then and tried to sell as spares!
Those are in UK now (Im in Sweden). My MDF2 is here in Sweden but hmm, not used in maybe 5y :/
Now Im praying its going to work ok - especially in the recent heatwave since May....
But I at least have a plan now how to repair - although Im not techy - replaced the QY70 internal battery :D
cheers
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:47 am

Im going to try this midi-usb cable. Good deal on amazon and read good reviews as the cheapo ones do not handle sysex data but this seems to. Will give feedback. Now to check out the MDF2...
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01487ZA3C
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3754
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by parametric » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi Squishy,

This is where I got my belts from. http://www.bustedgear.com/part_belt_floppy.html

There are other sources about on ebay, but I KNOW these are correct. You'll see the MDF2 mentioned.

If you follow through, there is a procedure with pics (on a Korg) which SHOWS the inside of the drive . . .

http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Korg_x ... belt_3.htm

Here's hoping YOUR MDF2 is having NO problems . . . :wink:

Always good to CLEAN the pulleys where the belt runs, with isopropyl alcohol -

(can buy from chemist - OR - often sold as "tape head cleaner")

These are good too, if you can find one . . .

floppy disk cleaner kit.jpg
floppy disk cleaner kit.jpg (13.58 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi again Parametric.
Well today was the day I turned on the MDF2 with my hands clasped in a pray-it-works-position...
aaaaaand.... *bad disk* error on a test of 5 disks.
Now it could be that yes they are all bad as have been sitting in a box in basement 7+ years...
or it could be the belt thang.

Which do you bet your money on?

Im asking now as I saw a QY700 on sale locally and maybe its time to put in a bid...ofc a belt replacement would probably be cheaper...

What do you recommend?

On a side note: I am not very techy-DIY-guy, I got sweaty just replacing my QY70 internal battery lol
Im not very confident on the belt-replacement?
Any danger of screwing something up?

kind regards and thanks in advance your answers guys/gals.

/squishy

parametric wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:17 pm
Hi Squishy,

This is where I got my belts from. http://www.bustedgear.com/part_belt_floppy.html

There are other sources about on ebay, but I KNOW these are correct. You'll see the MDF2 mentioned.

If you follow through, there is a procedure with pics (on a Korg) which SHOWS the inside of the drive . . .

http://www.bustedgear.com/repair_Korg_x ... belt_3.htm

Here's hoping YOUR MDF2 is having NO problems . . . :wink:

Always good to CLEAN the pulleys where the belt runs, with isopropyl alcohol -

(can buy from chemist - OR - often sold as "tape head cleaner")

These are good too, if you can find one . . .


floppy disk cleaner kit.jpg

parametric
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 11824
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Hey squishy, it is very unlikely you would damage anything during a belt replacement :) Just take some photos when removing things/taking things apart as you can always refer back to them if you forget something. Also helps to have a clear workspace so things can be laid out and not lost in a clutter of other things etc.

It is possible all those disks were damaged. As you probably know, they are susceptible to anything magnetic so if stored near an old tv or speakers etc that can have an affect on them.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Sign up to the Newsletter
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Makro Racer
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 3754
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:00 am
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by parametric » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi SM . . .

As Saul says - floppies can be both surprising and disappointing in their longevity.

Apart from proximity to magnetic sources, there's also the quality of the original disks.

Branded Makes should be better than those bought in bulk from Computer Fairs . . .

Do they read OK in a usb floppy drive attached to your PC?

If so, then it's almost certainly the MDF2 drive.

If you do the cleaning of the pulleys AND THE HEAD - and fit a new belt - all should be well.

Follow that guide at bustedgear.com

When you have the drive OPEN - it's important to undo the small screw that attaches the optical sensor

that "Counts" the spokes in that wheel - and fold it back out of the way - when fitting the new belt.

There is insufficient space to fit the belt WITHOUT doing this - you may damage the belt if you try . . . .

When the belt is fitted - simply replace the sensor in position and tighten the screw . . .

Let us know . . .

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 pm

OK good tip with the photos, or just video myself :D *cringe*

What screwdrivers will I need - I se I have big cumbersome ones.
Looked on amazon and just found Torx, star or the regular philips?

I had them stored in boxes, in a box in a box :D No speaker, TV's anywhere close since I didnt have any.
Fingers crossed the belt will fix the issue.
cheers
Saul wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:35 pm
Hey squishy, it is very unlikely you would damage anything during a belt replacement :) Just take some photos when removing things/taking things apart as you can always refer back to them if you forget something. Also helps to have a clear workspace so things can be laid out and not lost in a clutter of other things etc.

It is possible all those disks were damaged. As you probably know, they are susceptible to anything magnetic so if stored near an old tv or speakers etc that can have an affect on them.
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:55 pm

Hi. You make some valid points here and tbh I think they were a mix of branded and non-branded.
I also since reading online see there is a difference/issues around using 720kb and 1.44MB ones as well as HD or DD. I'll have to inspect them all now. Hopefully the belt repair will be the fix...I'll be gutted to lose 90% of my music :/

I do not have a USB FDD and havent had any luck borrowing one from anyone. :(
I looked on amazon and they are around the same price as a MDF2 belt, so I will start with the belt.
From what I read a new floppy might still not read the old disks even if they are ok due to the 720/1.44 HD/DD thing.

I noted that when I inserted some floppies previously the MDF2 could read the # of files on the disk and i could see the name of the files...
would this indicate the drive is ok and the disks are bad?
I also managed to reformat a spare disk, but when I did a bulk dump from the QY to the MDF2, MIDI data sent (light flash) but nothing saved and when I clicked to save the 'bad disk error' resurfaced...

Thanks for the very detailed 'belt repair' tips I will follow to the letter and watch the vids too.
Now I am waiting for delivery of the belt and trying to find/buy a screwdriver set...as I alluded to in the reply to Saul.

(y) :geek:

parametric wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm
Hi SM . . .

As Saul says - floppies can be both surprising and disappointing in their longevity.

Apart from proximity to magnetic sources, there's also the quality of the original disks.

Branded Makes should be better than those bought in bulk from Computer Fairs . . .

Do they read OK in a usb floppy drive attached to your PC?

If so, then it's almost certainly the MDF2 drive.

If you do the cleaning of the pulleys AND THE HEAD - and fit a new belt - all should be well.

Follow that guide at bustedgear.com

When you have the drive OPEN - it's important to undo the small screw that attaches the optical sensor

that "Counts" the spokes in that wheel - and fold it back out of the way - when fitting the new belt.

There is insufficient space to fit the belt WITHOUT doing this - you may damage the belt if you try . . . .

When the belt is fitted - simply replace the sensor in position and tighten the screw . . .

Let us know . . .

parametric
User avatar Germany
Miks
Specialist Moderator
Specialist Moderator
Posts: 1893
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by Miks » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:00 am

Hi squishmusic,

don't forget to buy some IPA (IsoPropylic Alcohol) for cleaning purposes. You can get it in drugstores... 8)
My (key related) gear (in alphabetical order):
Ferrofish: B4000+
Kawai: K1 II
Korg: M1 (up'd to EX, w/ 'Cool Blue'), M1REX (w/ 'Cool Blue'), Poly-800
Roland: D-50, D-110, D-550, PG-1000
Yamaha: AW1600, DX7IID (w/ 'Cool Blue'), EX5R, RM50, RX5, SY99 (w/ 'Cool Blue'), TG500, TX-802, YMM2
Sector101: SYEMB05 (5x), SYEMB06 (3x), EXFLM2 (1kit), MCD Sweet16 (1x), WaveBlade 8MB Card (1x) & 1x Programmer Unit for WaveBlade
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:01 am

I know for sure its wasnt the dog that I dont have and Im not partial to milk and cookies :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5MkWtQwx-s

Not sure about the dunk it in warm water tip if it ends up being my disks :D
User avatar Ireland
squishmusic
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:43 pm
Contact:

Re: Hey and Hi

Unread post by squishmusic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 am

Hi Miks.
Thanks I have some (used to work in science) ;)
Ha! That is also about 7years old but Im pretty sure I wont get a 'bad alcohol' error :D
Miks wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:00 am
Hi squishmusic,

don't forget to buy some IPA (IsoPropylic Alcohol) for cleaning purposes. You can get it in drugstores... 8)
Post Reply

Return to “Introduce Yourself”