Hello There

New to the site? Drop in here and say hello.

Moderators: Derek, parametric

User avatar Wales
The Cat

Hello There

Unread post by The Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:54 pm

Welshman here, just been asked to get our old band going again.

I've not played for 25 years and used to have a Yamaha SY35 which I could get amazing sounds out of.

I was tempted with getting another one or perhaps a M1 if the condition was good but decided it would be more fun to see what more modern features are around so I ended up getting a 4 month old MOFX6 locally for a real bargain.

I must say it is more complicated now but I don't think I'll ever get bored of playing around and finding things out. I can at least navigate through all the different voices now - it even took me a few days to work that out.

I have visited this forum earlier in the week when Googling certain questions I had so looking forward to ploughing through all the expertise and information on here - thanks for this mine of information it should help a great deal.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello There

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:17 pm

Hi TC, welcome to the forums :)

I used to have the MOXF6 and it's a great keyboard. Loads of possibilities there and of course you can add to the sound set via the flash ram card...slow to load stuff onto it but of course once it is there you don't lose it on power down.

Did you check out the MODX or would that have been a step too far at the moment?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors
User avatar Wales
The Cat

Unread post by The Cat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 pm

Hi Saul thanks.

I was looking at a maximum spend of £700 so the choice really came down to the MOXF6, a Korg Kross 2 or a Roland FA06 if I really pushed it.

I did a hell of a lot of reading up Including on here as my local music stores had none of these in stock. If money had been no object then the MODX would certainly have been added to the list.

While researching I found a 4 month old MOXF6 being sold half an hour away from me for £500 and it has the 512 flash memory inside already so I just went for it before it sold. There isn't a mark on it it's as good as new but saved me a lot of money.

Have to say I am thinking this is a really good buy I'm very happy with the voice quality (only touched a small fraction so far) and I can split and layer which is a vital requirement for me.

The only minor downside is that the Cubase licence has already been registered but I am sure I can find an alternative down the road if I want to get into that.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Yep I would say that is definitely a good buy! :) The FA06 is a little more versatile as it has sampling and the two virtual SRX slots but it's keys are not, in my opinion as good as the MOXF. The KORG KROSS 2 and is probably the one I would have gone for but I have owned the MOXF already so always looking to something new. I like everything KORG did with the KROSS 2 and it was a massive improvement on the original...which I also had.

LOADS of possibilities though with the MOXF and it was my choice of best keyboard when I reviewed the Roland FA06, KORG KROME and MOXF.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Yamaha FS-TA/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors

Return to “Introduce Yourself”