New Screen Replacement Option

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Wales
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Screen Replacement Option

Unread post by Derek » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 am

Hi, DrF

SY99 dissembly is covered in my guide. Happy for you to link to that!
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
User avatar United States of America
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:54 am

Derek wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:46 am
Hi, DrF

SY99 dissembly is covered in my guide. Happy for you to link to that!
I knew I had seen that somewhere. Glad I don't have to prepare the guide then. Sure, you can link to it one more time.

In the mean time I changed the voltage divider a little and know the view from the user's position is better. The existing SY99 voltage divider could not provide a negative voltage lower than -8.72 V to the display. My tests showed that something near -7.12 V was required for a "darker" view. I changed one resistor and that took the negative voltage down to -7.05 V.

Here is the final result before I close the cover of the SY99 sometime tomorrow:
BLK_LCD3.jpg
Now I have to find the time and prepare some diagrams, edit pictures and post more details in a new thread. Sorry for the reflections in that picture. It's getting late and I must hit the bed, no time to take more pictures.

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:12 pm

Miks was kind enough to remove the reflections of that picture. Thanks Miks! So here is the better looking one:
BLK_LCD3.1.jpg
Even though it looks as if the letters have a blue hue in them in reality they are almost white. I just cannot get the camera to see the real color of the LCD screen.

DrF
Motif XF6, DeepMind 12D, MicroArranger, MicroKorg S, SY99, SY85, QS300, PSR1000, WX5, EX5R, A5000, TG500, TG55, RM50, QY700, QY100, QX5FD, MDF3, MJC8, EMX2, YDP2006, REV500, EMP700, EQ500U, MCS2, AW16G, Axiom Pro 49, AKAI Pro Advance 49, Arturia KeyLab mkII 61, and a few other things by Behringer, Evolution, Philips, Tascam, Technical Pro, Yamaha, etc, etc,... I wish I had time to use all this stuff; I am not even pro. :-)
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm

A couple of shots showing the display and how it fits with the surroundings. Click for a zoomed view.
SY99_BLK_1.jpg
SY99_BLK_2.jpg
Even though the blue is prettier, the black blends better with the overall design. Again, I cannot make the picture show the LCD as it really is. The camera has a bit of a problem catching what the human eye sees. It's not 100% black background but it is at least 90%, I would say.

DrF
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 am

VERY Nice DrF . . .

Your tenacity with these projects is an inspiration to all who would seek to look after their boards . . . ((i))

That's a very nice result.

The Black B/G is kinda nice and the display looks to be very readable - which is what really matters . .

Nice to see that USB Drive, shining away too . . . . ;)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 am

parametric wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:12 am
VERY Nice DrF . . .

Your tenacity with these projects is an inspiration to all who would seek to look after their boards . . . ((i))

That's a very nice result.

The Black B/G is kinda nice and the display looks to be very readable - which is what really matters . .

Nice to see that USB Drive, shining away too . . . . ;)

parametric
Thanks for the kind words.

The SY99 is special to me for reasons that take me back to my years as a poor undergraduate student at the university. I still recall the visits to the local Yamaha dealer store just to see and touch the SY99 that was super expensive and way out of my ability to purchase it. You could simply listen to it (let alone have a look at it) and you knew it was different and top of the line.

Now I have it and I try to keep it happy. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to play with it and I have not finished working on that 4MB expansion. The USB emulator still works great. I never understood why some users decided to change firmware and make the situation more difficult than it was. That triple digit emulator needs nothing but a regular USB stick to work, formatted in a Windows machine without any special software.

There is yet a bigger project with a 7" color touch-screen I had in mind to add to it in a Tyros-style modification. I have the screen waiting in its box for over 3 years now. Along with several expensive-looking blue-lighted switches and a wireless brain-wave interface. I won't say more on this one, it's classified. :)

A few words about that display... Several years ago I had bought a 2-line alphanumeric display from BuyDisplay.com and I was not very happy with the black color that was anything but black. I wrote to them to express my disappointment. They said they were still developing the displays to look more black. The problem was with the polarizer film. It was not easy to find one that would allow enough light through and block some areas to look black. They have improved since but more work is needed.

Changing the display of the SY99 is perhaps the most time consuming modification of all I have done. And this one was done twice. My way to convince myself that I still got it. :)

DrF
Sweden
ledan

Unread post by ledan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 am

Looks extremely nice DrF. Im curious what resistor you use and where you put it?

(i am using the same display in my TG77 and it is a little bright)
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:25 pm

ledan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:15 am
Looks extremely nice DrF. Im curious what resistor you use and where you put it?

(i am using the same display in my TG77 and it is a little bright)
I used a 41.2 ohm resistor on the A (anode) terminal of the backlight LED in series with the +5 V wire. The manufacturer claims that the display can draw 160 mA of current at 5 V but that makes it too bright. You have to reduce the current between 37 mA and 40 mA to achieve the results shown in the picture. That resistor value did the trick. It is mil-spec and had been collecting dust for several years along with many other parts I have in my workshop.

But that is not enough. You must also alter the voltage divider that regulates the negative voltage for the contrast of the LCD. You have several options there, I chose the least painful one that can always be reversed without any damage done to the board. I am working slowly on the preparation of text and pictures that I wish to include in the new thread about this mod. So, give me some time and I'll post everything here.

Regards,
DrF
United States of America
DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:51 am

EX5_etc wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:37 am
Thanks for the kind words.

The SY99 is special to me for reasons that take me back to my years as a poor undergraduate student at the university. I still recall the visits to the local Yamaha dealer store just to see and touch the SY99 that was super expensive and way out of my ability to purchase it. You could simply listen to it (let alone have a look at it) and you knew it was different and top of the line.

Now I have it and I try to keep it happy. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to play with it and I have not finished working on that 4MB expansion. The USB emulator still works great. I never understood why some users decided to change firmware and make the situation more difficult than it was. That triple digit emulator needs nothing but a regular USB stick to work, formatted in a Windows machine without any special software.

There is yet a bigger project with a 7" color touch-screen I had in mind to add to it in a Tyros-style modification. I have the screen waiting in its box for over 3 years now. Along with several expensive-looking blue-lighted switches and a wireless brain-wave interface. I won't say more on this one, it's classified. :)

A few words about that display... Several years ago I had bought a 2-line alphanumeric display from BuyDisplay.com and I was not very happy with the black color that was anything but black. I wrote to them to express my disappointment. They said they were still developing the displays to look more black. The problem was with the polarizer film. It was not easy to find one that would allow enough light through and block some areas to look black. They have improved since but more work is needed.

Changing the display of the SY99 is perhaps the most time consuming modification of all I have done. And this one was done twice. My way to convince myself that I still got it. :)

DrF
DrF

Your update to this thread is very timely for me -- I've been eyeing the BuyDisplay screens for a while as I have a number of SY99's to upgrade, and you saved me a ton of time in dealing with the power/contrast stuff. One of my TG77's has the black screen and it looks good. The old blue Newhaven in my main SY99 I like a lot as it matches my VL1. I was jazzed that the (unfortunately old) docs on the BuyDisplay website showed Red, Orange, Yellow, Purple colors available as I thought it would be really cool to have a 'rainbow rack' when I finally got around to changing the displays on all the rest of my SY99's and TG77's. Seems the only shipping options are Blue/white text, the Black/white, the White/black and the Green/black, so now I'm trying to decide between all Blue or all Black....

RE: your 4MB Memory board project -- there's a new, full 8MB board available out there now, PM me if you want more info.

RE: USB emulators and flashing, it's not 'difficult' anymore. The old days of the HxC firmware flashing was a headache with needing a serial interfacce and the (few) $$ for the firmware. With the current state of firmwares, I highly recommend FlashFloppy. It's free, actively supported and given the time is so minimal - 30 minutes tops to reflash with just a USB (dual A type) cable and install an OLED display -- It's got a lot of upside. If you set up the USB drive on your computer then take it to your SY it supports Folders, so it's really cool to have the ability to name your .img files and put them named folders to organize your sound sets. Plus I'm on OSX which handles reading & writing directly to the .img files right from the Finder so I don't need any software on the computer side like the old Windows / Keytron stuff or the HxC stuff. But if you want to keep on trying to remember what's on disk 025, or 011, or 154 ... stick with what's working! :) :)

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha Montage 7, SY99's x8 , TG77's x4, Reface DX,FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2 & VL70m
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 am

Hi Manny.

BuyDisplay.com had more options of 240x64 displays in the past but now they are down to those you mentioned. The same holds true for crystalfontz.com that is down to only 3 options now. I bought displays from both of those vendors. The service has been decent, the documentation adequate and perhaps a bit old but then again not much has changed in terms of controllers and technology of graphic LCDs. If demand was low for certain varieties, the manufacturers had to stop producing them. Supply and demand go together, most of the time.

The 4MB project was something I started to work on back when I had nothing better to do. I don't really need any expansion in my SY99 because I use it very little. I never loaded any samples on that single 512 kB expansion I have. Life took its course and I never finished the 4MB expansion project. In the mean time I found some information on a web site of another SY99 user who made a similar expansion with two memory chips instead of one as I did. I have his schematics and if I find time in the future I'll compare his design to mine and take it from there. I followed the thread about the new 8MB expansion on this forum for some time so I know that there is still enough support for the SY99 out there.

The last and most important part of my reply is about the USB emulators for the SY99. I think I was not clear as to what I was trying to say in my post. When I posted the modification of the 3-LED-digit USB emulator I mentioned that no software of any kind was needed in order to format a USB drive for use with it. A regular Win7 PC could simply format the drive in FAT, a few folders could be created on it using Windows Explorer and that was all.

Since then however, I read several posts here and elsewhere about people trying to manipulate the USB emulator's firmware to do this and that and several versions of this firmware seem to exist. I could not and still cannot understand why someone needs to do such a thing. The USB emulator I reviewed and modified for the SY99 with a couple of switches had no need to have its firmware manipulated at all. It was a 100% working option right out of the box and it was cheap too. So, what am I missing?

DrF
United States of America
DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:11 am

EX5_etc wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:20 am
Hi Manny.

BuyDisplay.com had more options of 240x64 displays in the past but now they are down to those you mentioned. The same holds true for crystalfontz.com that is down to only 3 options now. I bought displays from both of those vendors. The service has been decent, the documentation adequate and perhaps a bit old but then again not much has changed in terms of controllers and technology of graphic LCDs. If demand was low for certain varieties, the manufacturers had to stop producing them. Supply and demand go together, most of the time.

The 4MB project was something I started to work on back when I had nothing better to do. I don't really need any expansion in my SY99 because I use it very little. I never loaded any samples on that single 512 kB expansion I have. Life took its course and I never finished the 4MB expansion project. In the mean time I found some information on a web site of another SY99 user who made a similar expansion with two memory chips instead of one as I did. I have his schematics and if I find time in the future I'll compare his design to mine and take it from there. I followed the thread about the new 8MB expansion on this forum for some time so I know that there is still enough support for the SY99 out there.

The last and most important part of my reply is about the USB emulators for the SY99. I think I was not clear as to what I was trying to say in my post. When I posted the modification of the 3-LED-digit USB emulator I mentioned that no software of any kind was needed in order to format a USB drive for use with it. A regular Win7 PC could simply format the drive in FAT, a few folders could be created on it using Windows Explorer and that was all.

Since then however, I read several posts here and elsewhere about people trying to manipulate the USB emulator's firmware to do this and that and several versions of this firmware seem to exist. I could not and still cannot understand why someone needs to do such a thing. The USB emulator I reviewed and modified for the SY99 with a couple of switches had no need to have its firmware manipulated at all. It was a 100% working option right out of the box and it was cheap too. So, what am I missing?

DrF
"SY99 MarkW" who did that cool Blue/Green LED replacement & memory bank switch panel/SD reader as well as a 2 chip 3MB update mods helped out on the 8MB board project. His original 8MB circuit design was an extension of that 2 chip design, to be retrofitted in the same way his 2 chip 3MB board was as a replacement to the expansion card bay RAM. If you'd like to see it, I'm sure he'll let me share it with you. It's a pain getting down there, though, so for ease of installation for the final design we changed to a board that sits on a 40pin riser on the DM2 board with a passthrough connector to keep access to the WaveCard slot. The schematic for this version is available online as a file ready for PCB fabrication.

Re: the USB thing you're not missing anything because it _did_ work simply and well unaltered - I bought the exact the drive you mentioned and used it in it's native firmware for a while, and I'd fire up a Windows VM to do the disk operations when needed. Then getting drives for the additional SY's I've collected over the last 2-3 years, unfortunately I found the firmwares in the additional GOTEK units from the same vendor were all over the place, there was no reliable way to get specific version of firmware in the drives - only one other of the total of 8 I bought worked as the original. Surfing the web indicated others had the same issue.

So that out of the box functionality was hit and miss -- the issue I had was without that particular firmware, formatting the USB stick in regular Windows resulted in the USB drive seeing it as a single 720K disk only recognizing the first folder. I had to use the Keytron disk software to set up the USB Stick. Became a PIA for me, so migrated to HxC which worked the same way as the Keytron software but was at least OSX compatible. The hassle was the cost and difficulty in flashing drives with HxC but I'd rather do that (once) than to keep waiting for launching a Windows VM to do 30 seconds of disk/file management.

Coincidentally I stumbled upon FlashFloppy -- a big group of Amiga fanatics had been customing firmwares for a while after getting disappointed in the old HxC project and created FlashFloppy, which has turned out to be as customizable as you like and can host a number of mods -- and still works fine with the stock 7 segment displays and the original pushbuttons if you don't want to bother with the OLED's, rotary encoders and the piezo speaker for the disk access noises.

Anyway, for my use now, the .img is multiplatform, and the alpha naming with the OLED is important because of how many disk files I have (I know I am a very atypical SY99 user :) ) . With the "original" firmware you have IIRC creating a new folder in Windows creates a new "floppy disk". With the FlashFloppy firmware it supports an actual file/folder heirarchy, and it's useful for me to have "Strings" "Brass" "Pads" etc in their own folder heirarchy with the alphanumeric display. YMMV

** Another thing about the FlashFloppy firmware it doesn't matter what version of the emulator you have - the 720K or 1.44M any version of a GOTEK -- so it's nice to buy the typically $10 cheaper 1.44 version and flash it than hope you get the 720K with the right firmware.

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha Montage 7, SY99's x8 , TG77's x4, Reface DX,FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2 & VL70m
What's a Roland ...?
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 pm

Hi Manny.

I did not keep up with the USB emulators after I finished adding them to basically every device I had. I think the last one was the QX5FD. Up to that time the firmware on the 720k Gotek was original.

But now the original firmware is a hit-and-miss. Sad. Useful information to have though, just in case I need one more USB emulator. I saw the FlashFloppy videos on Youtube along with the OLED display. I'll have to look into that one in more detail soon. The OLED is definitely better looking than the old 7-segment LEDs. I have printed several lists with the contents of the SY99 USB emulator disks, otherwise I have no clue where I stored what. The OLED could be a better solution in my case.

As for the schematic of the memory board, sure, if it is not too much of a hassle I would like to have a look at it.

Thanks for all the useful information.
DrF
United States of America
DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:55 am

EX5_etc wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:28 pm
Hi Manny.

I did not keep up with the USB emulators after I finished adding them to basically every device I had. I think the last one was the QX5FD. Up to that time the firmware on the 720k Gotek was original.

But now the original firmware is a hit-and-miss. Sad. Useful information to have though, just in case I need one more USB emulator. I saw the FlashFloppy videos on Youtube along with the OLED display. I'll have to look into that one in more detail soon. The OLED is definitely better looking than the old 7-segment LEDs. I have printed several lists with the contents of the SY99 USB emulator disks, otherwise I have no clue where I stored what. The OLED could be a better solution in my case.

As for the schematic of the memory board, sure, if it is not too much of a hassle I would like to have a look at it.

Thanks for all the useful information.
DrF
DrF

I tried to PM you the schematic, but it looks ilke you don't allow for PM's

Manny
Yamaha VL1v2 & VL70m
What's a Roland ...?
EX5_etc

Unread post by EX5_etc » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Hi Manny. I changed the setting about PMs. Not sure why I had it that way so far. You may try again when you get a chance.

Thanks.
DrF
United States of America
DrSynth

Unread post by DrSynth » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:25 pm

EX5_etc wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm
Hi Manny. I changed the setting about PMs. Not sure why I had it that way so far. You may try again when you get a chance.

Thanks.
DrF
On its way!

Manny
Yamaha VL1v2 & VL70m
What's a Roland ...?

Return to “Yamaha SY77 Forum - Covers the Sy77 Keyboard and TG77 Module”