Having issue with bought SY77

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar Bosnia & Herzegovina
Studiostriver

Re: Having issue with bought SY77

Unread post by Studiostriver » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm

EB5AGV wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:48 pm
Studiostriver wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:41 pm
My new pushbutton finally arrived. ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n1it7sdcb6x36 ... 0.jpg?dl=0

I have one question. My SY77 has 1.4 OS version,is there possibillity to update it or buy eprom chip somewhere?I cant find any info online and currently on ebay cant find any offers.
Just last week I got my fourth SY77 :mrgreen: and it has what I think is the last version, 1.5

I have others with 1.2 and 1.4 so perhaps someday I will try to find out if just replacing EPROMs do the trick. I will let you know if I ever do that, not in the short time for sure as I am very busy setting up my synth repair lab :dance:

Jose
Wow,4th one. Do you planing to repair them and sell or to use them all in your music? :o

And please notify me, I would surely like to know and implement new eprom on SY77.I will use some solo tone on next You Tube recording. I fell in love with this synth for so short time. Very different then my Roland XV5080. They nice complement each other.

I just wish it has more presets,I`ll defintelly need to upgrade memory with waveblade card,and eventually screen,and usb floppy emulator.
But must say those things are not too cheap. Need to spare bit to get them all..

Cheers.
User avatar Spain
EB5AGV

Unread post by EB5AGV » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:51 pm

Studiostriver wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm
Wow,4th one. Do you planing to repair them and sell or to use them all in your music? :o

And please notify me, I would surely like to know and implement new eprom on SY77.I will use some solo tone on next You Tube recording. I fell in love with this synth for so short time. Very different then my Roland XV5080. They nice complement each other.

I just wish it has more presets,I`ll defintelly need to upgrade memory with waveblade card,and eventually screen,and usb floppy emulator.
But must say those things are not too cheap. Need to spare bit to get them all..

Cheers.
I plan to keep two (one that I fixed last year http://jvgavila.com/Yamaha_SY77_repair.htm, another one which is the last one bought, already with the switches and display replaced :D ) and sell the other two, both in need of work, so I will fix them.

I have the WaveBlade and a DataBlade16 (the first model, now it is 32) and they are really interesting things to own. I use also sy.factory along a bunch of patches and that is also a worthy addition to the setup.

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha DX7, TX81Z, DX11, 5x SY77, TG77, SPX990, SY85, A3000, EX5R, EX7, MOTIF RACK XS, DGX660, PSR-EW410, Genos

Akai S5000
Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Pigments, Analog Lab 4
Casio CT-X5000
Kawai K1, K1-II
Korg M1, Wavestation, X3, Triton Rack, Triton Le 76
Modartt Pianoteq 6
NI Komplete 12, Maschine Mk3, Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2
Roland D-50, JV-1080, XV-3080, Fantom G6
Steinberg Cubase Pro 10, The Grand 3
StudioLogic SL88 Studio
User avatar Bosnia & Herzegovina
Studiostriver

Unread post by Studiostriver » Mon May 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Just last week I got my fourth SY77 :mrgreen: and it has what I think is the last version, 1.5

I have others with 1.2 and 1.4 so perhaps someday I will try to find out if just replacing EPROMs do the trick. I will let you know if I ever do that, not in the short time for sure as I am very busy setting up my synth repair lab :dance:

Jose
When You find ,please try it(curious to know if it works), problem is that I cant find it anywhere over the internet, so still I need to find supplier for eprom.
Cheers.

Return to “Yamaha SY77 Forum - Covers the Sy77 Keyboard and TG77 Module”