TG77 floppy header??

Yamaha SY77 is a 16 voice multitimbral music workstation first produced by Yamaha Corporation in 1989. The SY77 is a synthesizer whose architecture combines AFM (Advanced Frequency Modulation) synthesis, AWM2 (Advanced Wave Memory 2) for ROM-borne sample-based synthesis, and the combination of these two methods christened Realtime Convolution and Modulation Synthesis (RCM).

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

ledan

TG77 floppy header??

Unread post by ledan »

anyone knows if the rack TG77 has an (upopulated) floppy header (i believe its called CN106 on the Sy77)?

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

Re: TG77 floppy header??

Unread post by Rara »

The TG77 has no support for floppy drive.
floppy header would have been removed as with the controller chip
(pictured below)
20200521_225255.jpg
20200521_225255.jpg (68.16 KiB) Viewed 136 times
Rara 0-)

ledan

Unread post by ledan »

Hi Rara,

thx :) you are most probably right of course, but i do wonder (but i need to pull it out of the rack) if that PCB indeed has an empty floppy controller chip slot (or header) and cable header on the board? It would be quite cool if Yamaha actually (as others did) basically took different "personas" given what form their instrument had (from FW perspective) and it was possible to solder & connect the missing headers and have this bastard TG77 with floppy (after cutting a hole for a 3.5 and find a way to mount it inside).

Sure, an MDF1 or MDF2 would be doing the same thing, but... :)

Rara
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: Australia

Unread post by Rara »

You would need to write a new firmware as well.
Just like all the hardware versions for an SY77/85 there is a corresponding firmware revision
TG77 will have nothing in the firmware to support a floppy.

Rara 0-)