SY99 - System reset? / horrible distorted noise in outputs.

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 pm

I don't know what the last one was for for the SY77 (mine has something like 1.01, the last version for the SY99 was 1.57 which is what I have in my 99, that is the only SY99 OS version that supports controlling up to 8mb of sample ram, you need 1.57 if you have 5 SYEMB05 ram boards installed and want to add the Musitronics 5mb ram expander for a total of 8mb. Musitronics was still selling the 1.57 OS at least until a couple of years ago, don't know if they still do.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
b3groover

Unread post by b3groover » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:26 pm

There is a bit about the different ROM versions on this page: http://keycorner.org/pub/midi/sy/faq-ch2.html
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:27 am

There is a list of the known SY99 ROM versions here:
http://www.sy99.com/about.html

Clyde
Understudio

Re:

Unread post by Understudio » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:47 pm

ctirad wrote:Hi YamYam,

in my case the distortion is still there with or without EQ enabled. It's also independent of signal source (AFM/AWM), routing setup, etc..

Clyde provided me some very useful info and diagrams, so I checked the PSU, power and signal stage around DAC and replaced some caps. Unfortunatelly it dindn't helped at all :( Next I'm going to bring my SY99 to my friend's work and check it again with oscilloscope for possible oscillations and so, which I cannot see on multimeter.

Ctirad
Hello:
Did you solve the sy99 problem? How?
I have a similar problem with mine.
Thanks.
Best regards.
José
Portugal
jpm242

Re: SY99 - System reset? / horrible distorted noise in outpu

Unread post by jpm242 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:27 pm

Has anyone found a fix for their noise problem?

I have a similar problem:

Noise in the sound path. Basically, the AWM waveforms, prior to being manipulated, sound OK (confirmed with self-test). Everything that comes out the synth engine has some noise in it, while there is sound. As soon as the envelopes reach 0, the noise stops. The seems to be a glitch in the digital signal path. Definitely not a cold solder in the analog output board. The noise comes out of every output: out1, out2, phones.

Anyone have a clue, anything that could help me fix that?
ctirad

Unread post by ctirad » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:33 pm

No :( We checked all the PSU rails for the possible ringing, the clock signals for the distrotion, but everything looks good a clean. For me it sounds like some samples wraps betwen the channels in the digital path which causes the distrotion. Unfortunatelly I cannot find the source without knowlenge of the yamaha digital protocol and detailed description of its DAC asic.

The service advices me to replace the whole board, but it is more expensive than to get another SY99 second hand. Thus I use it just as masterkeyboard :/
GunSchill

Unread post by GunSchill » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Hello Friends of SY77/99

time is around now that the battery packes up.
I had my SY77 since 1991, it died on me, giving only nonsense noises, then it was completely dead.
I did not open it for some years now, as I am not active playing live anymore.
Years ago, i had to replace always some keys, as I attacked the Beauty to hard, shame.
(The keys do not take hard sideways movements !)

Now, i opened it and replaced the battery, which still showed 3.00V with a new CR2032 which reads 3.26V. I actually soldered in a battery holder from my "Weight Scale" and fixed it on the board.
Luckily I fixed the Stiffy drive as well !
How?
Took it out and saw the drive belt was absolute looking like black chewing gum around the drive's motor pulley.
Cleaned this mess out with alcohol, pinchers and earbuds.
Got a new belt from a local store for the equivalent of $3, which normally is used in old cassette recorders (must be a flat belt of a length of ~10cm when you hold it against a ruler as it lies double)
Actual length is then ~20cm and height is around 3mm.
The path in the drive is ~25cm, so it has some needed tension.
Works fine!
And it was apparently necessary to bring the SY77 back into play!
Why?
Because: only after reloading from Stiffy an old Song with "Load All", the dead FM Section was coming back to life!!!

Now, I hope this helps a couple of people!

I have another problem though and did not find any references to that until now:

Outputs 1 and 2 work fine.
Outputs 3 and 4 do not. (I only hear the right channel there, the left is dead)
Even when I "software" route a sound from output 3 and 4 to channel 1 and 2 !
Most noticable with the drum sounds, as they are normally here on output channel 3 and 4.

Anybody knows why?

Me thinks, it must be something with the internal routing, not with the actual "amp" stage.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:50 pm

You might want to try a "factory reset" to see if it resolves any issues, it is normal procedure to do one after changing the battery. Be sure to make a "Save All" file proir to doing the reset so you can reload your user sounds after the reset.
Clyde
GunSchill

Unread post by GunSchill » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Clive,

the issue with the output is probably a dirty Volume 2 slider.
My data slider is as well a bit worn.
I will try with some contact sprays.

One comment though, you said, i should do a reset, which i don't have to do anymore, but just for examples sake, i tried to go to all these hidden functions eg:
[voice] + [internal] + [1] : Gives ROM-Version
[voice] + [bank D] + [8] : Goes to service functions

i tried that, but nothing happens
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:47 pm

I don't have time to search for it this morning (leaving for work), but I've posted the reset procedure at least a few times in various threads. Once you get to the test procedures, that is where the reset is done.
Clyde
newsname
Thailand

Re: SY99 - System reset? / horrible distorted noise in outputs.

Unread post by newsname » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 am

I have the same issue with my SY99 as you can see at the video on this link showing the screeching distortion when the other output fader is slided up: https://files.fm/f/pdm79e6v

internal battery has been replaced

If anyone has any more new on how this can be fixed would be great
DrSynth
United States of America

Unread post by DrSynth » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 pm

Try bypassing the effects and see if that gets rid of the noise. One of my SY99's make a very similar noise due to something gone bad in the Effects 2 chip section. Bypass the effects, or specifically not using Effect 2 eliminated the problem so at least it's usable though a little compromised.

One of these days I have to take it into a repair shop and see if they can fix it.

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha Montage 7, SY99's x7 , TG77's x4, Reface DX,FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2 & VL70m
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421
newsname
Thailand

Unread post by newsname » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:14 am

DrSynth wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:18 pm
Try bypassing the effects and see if that gets rid of the noise. One of my SY99's make a very similar noise due to something gone bad in the Effects 2 chip section. Bypass the effects, or specifically not using Effect 2 eliminated the problem so at least it's usable though a little compromised.

One of these days I have to take it into a repair shop and see if they can fix it.

Manny

wow Manny you were absolutely right! ...selecting effect bypass removes the distortion
do you have any idea which chip would be the damaged one that needs replacing?
DrSynth
United States of America

Unread post by DrSynth » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:07 pm

Sorry -- not yet taken it to get diagnosed. BTW -- it may not be the same component that goes bad in the DSP section of any particular SY99

There is also this other thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=10302

Manny
FM Rig of DOOM!! Yamaha Montage 7, SY99's x7 , TG77's x4, Reface DX,FS1r, DX200, DX7II FD E!, DX7II FD, TX802
Yamaha VL1v2 & VL70m
Kurzweil K2000, Korg Wavestation EX, Kawai K1, Sequential Pro One, Arp Odyssey
What's a Roland ...?
YouTube FM Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXY8GT ... R0TSw/feed
SoundCloud FM Examples: https://soundcloud.com/manny-fernandez-4856421

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”