spontaneously.. SY99

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Monte
Japan

spontaneously.. SY99

Unread post by Monte » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:15 pm

great condition, and comes with 4 pre installed SYEMB05 memory boards.
Last edited by Monte on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: I can't believe it!

Unread post by Saul » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Nice buy Monte! They are as rare as hens teeth these days and hardly ever come up on Ebay, especially in good condition with extras!
Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk
Monte
Japan

Unread post by Monte » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:31 pm

Can anyone share some good tips on packing this beast? I'd like to give some to the seller. He said he has a good cardbox. I'm afraid for the end caps, and the entire pitch/modwheel housing.
((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:39 pm

The SY99 is not exactly light so I understand your concern!

I recently sent a Korg Triton Studio through the post and you know how heavy they are right?

We packed egg boxes around the ends and layers of cardboard on the top and bottom surfaces. Also encased the pitch/mod lever in a polystyrene block. We then wound layers of bubble wrap around the whole thing. It got to it's destination in one piece :)

The egg boxes are good because they are light but strong. Did the same with an acoustic guitar once and again that arrived without a mark on it :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Re: spontaneously.. SY99

Unread post by Derek » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 pm

That's not a bad price with the SEMB boards as well.

I'd be nervous about sending something like an SY99 through the post in a cardboard box with the way couriers tend to handle things, unless it's the original box and packing materials. I think lots of heavy duty bubble wrap inside and outside is in order. I would also get the sender to take plenty of photographs of the synth whilst packing it and the final state of the packing, so there can be no dispute if the couriers manage to mangle it.

Did you check the state of the floppy disk and display (known failure modes of the SY range)? Both are fixable (the guides on how to do it are on my xfactory site.
Regards
Derek Cook

http://www.carregddu.co.uk
http://www.echoes-music.co.uk
http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk
http://www.ex5tech.co.uk
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:57 am

The other thing is check the insurance. Not sure what the situation is in Germany but here in the UK nearly all couriers will carry a keyboard but they won't insure it so your basically "hoping" it get's where it's going in one piece!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Monte
Japan

Unread post by Monte » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am

Derek wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 pm

I'd be nervous about sending something like an SY99 through the post in a cardboard box with the way couriers tend to handle things, unless it's the original box and packing materials. I think lots of heavy duty bubble wrap inside and outside is in order. I would also get the sender to take plenty of photographs of the synth whilst packing it and the final state of the packing, so there can be no dispute if the couriers manage to mangle it.

Did you check the state of the floppy disk and display (known failure modes of the SY range)? Both are fixable (the guides on how to do it are on my xfactory site.
Indeed, its a nice price. not cheap as hell but fair imho.
Thank you for the tip about the photos! I'll definitely tell him to document the procedure.
The floppy works, as well as the display - but its my intention to replace both (maybe the white on black LCD display, and the hxc floppy emulator.
((i))
Monte
Japan

Unread post by Monte » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:43 am

Saul wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:39 pm
The SY99 is not exactly light so I understand your concern!

I recently sent a Korg Triton Studio through the post and you know how heavy they are right?

We packed egg boxes around the ends and layers of cardboard on the top and bottom surfaces. Also encased the pitch/mod lever in a polystyrene block. We then wound layers of bubble wrap around the whole thing. It got to it's destination in one piece :)

The egg boxes are good because they are light but strong. Did the same with an acoustic guitar once and again that arrived without a mark on it :)
Good tips! I'm going to send a long email to the seller about this.
((i))
Monte
Japan

Unread post by Monte » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:53 am

Apparently DHL has a premium service:

DHL PAKET International with Premium service take priority and are always transported to the destination country by the fastest means possible. The Premium service also includes transport insurance up to EUR 500.

Anyone has any experience with that? I wonder if its worth adding extra ~100 EUR for shipment. The less time the package is in freight mode.
((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:38 pm

As I said Monte, do check what is covered and what is excluded. All UK couriers "offer" insurance but it isn't until your check the exclusions list that you discover they won't pay up for damage to guitars and keyboards...they let you pay for the meaningless insurance though!
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:51 pm

Monte wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:42 am
Derek wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Indeed, its a nice price. not cheap as hell but fair imho.
Thank you for the tip about the photos! I'll definitely tell him to document the procedure.
The floppy works, as well as the display - but its my intention to replace both (maybe the white on black LCD display, and the hxc floppy emulator.
I just despatched an EX5 in a flight case to a new owner, and I took a VIDEO of every key responding to touch and making a sound, showing the display, the LEDs etc. All working. I then showed the extra packing I put in the flight case to stop it moving (I keep bubble wrap from other purchases for this), and took pictures at each layer buildup. And I photoed the coloured cable ties (3 different colours) used to secure the flight case latches, which will let the seller know if somebody has opened the case up in transit, as how many people will bother with coloured tags and if they are, would they be able to get tha same ones. Not that I am mistrusting or anything of the post...... ;)
Regards
Derek Cook

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Nice tip about the coloured tag Derek. I have packs of coloured cable ties here that would perform the same task. Will remember that next time I send something in a case :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Derek
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Wales

Unread post by Derek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:19 pm

It's a good tip, and how many people in the transit chain know I took pictures of each coloured tag on the case? :)
Regards
Derek Cook

Monte
Japan

Unread post by Monte » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks for all the tips.
Last edited by Monte on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
((i))
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Nicely done :) How long before it reaches you?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”