problems after changing the battery

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar
Miks
Specialist Moderator
Specialist Moderator
Posts: 1702
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:00 am
Germany

Re: problems after changing the battery

Unread post by Miks » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am

Hi organmastr, welcome to the Yamaha Musicians forum. (Y)

Hmmm - that's odd. Are the synth's batteries (2 pcs) still soldered to their pcb's or are they mounted in holders? If in holders I would try the following: turn the synth OFF, disconnect from mains, open it up and remove the batteries and short-circuit the holder's contacts for around 10 sec. using a tweezer/needle nose plier/short piece of wire. Put back both batteries, reassemble the synth and try to start it by switching it ON. Then try to run the reset procedure and see if this works...
My (key related) gear (in alphabetical order):
Ferrofish: B4000+
Kawai: K1 II
Korg: M1 (up'd to EX, w/ 'Cool Blue'), M1REX (w/ 'Cool Blue'), Poly-800
Roland: D-50, D-110, D-550, PG-1000
Yamaha: AW1600, DX7IID (w/ 'Cool Blue'), EX5R, RM50, RX5, SY99 (w/ 'Cool Blue'), TG500, TX-802, YMM2
Sector101: SYEMB05 (5x), SYEMB06 (3x), EXFLM2 (1kit), MCD Sweet16 (1x), WaveBlade 8MB Card (1x) & 1x Programmer Unit for WaveBlade
User avatar
sockmonkey
Member
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:30 am
Germany

Re: problems after changing the battery

Unread post by sockmonkey » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:28 pm

I just did a display update (white on black!), a floppy emulator (Gotek w FlashFloppy -- highly recommended) and replaced the backup batteries on my new (for me) SY99. After putting it all back together, the keyboard was dead. So I took it more or less completely apart again to ensure that everything was plugged in. When I put it back together, the front panel switches were dead, too. Sheeeeeeeee...

I took a deep breath (and a 24 hour break) and went back in before calling for help. I found a pinched/flattened wire near the right-hand switch PCB -- the one you need to remove to do the display update. I guess that I had been a little too cavalier when stuffing everything back in. I checked continuity and it seemed fine even when flexed. After reassembling, the buttons all worked again. Hooray.

Keyboard was still dead. Now that the buttons were working again, a factory reset was possible. Keyboard back on -- I guess local control had been disabled from crap system memory despite it showing that it was turned on. I guess I wasted a few hours and no small amount of nervous sweat by not trying that first. But it's working great now.

So anyone plagued by the dead switches... check your cable routings and ensure that everything is smoothly run around the boards and safely out of the way... Anyway, one guy's story, maybe it will help someone else.
Post Reply

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”