Yamaha SY99 issues

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

JimmyD

Yamaha SY99 issues

Unread post by JimmyD » Sun Mar 12, 2006 6:32 pm

Greetings All,

I am new to this forum ... I just got a used SY99 from my Dad who, sadly is unable to use it anymore. It's in pretty good condition although the display is very dim and one of the keys sticks. I've done some research on this forum and have an idea how to resolve the display issue ... and I have read some stuff on keyboard repair. However, I want to be as sure as I can that I know what the key problem is before I open the unit up.

The key, when pressed, will not pop back up when released, it stays down. The keys adjacent to it are fine ... I guess the spring may messed up ... I don't know.

Any help would be appreciated ...

Thanks,

JimmyD. :D
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:51 am

Welcome Jimmy :)

Well since the key is obviously not functioning properly your going to have to open up the keyboard anyway to sort it out. I have not looked at the inside of an SY99 so can't say for sure what type of mechanism is used to return the key after release but it won't be complicated whatever it is.

Also Yamaha still stock parts for the SY99, which is incredible considering it's age. Maybe Clyde will be able to shed some more light on the problem when he comes on line as he owns both an Sy77 and SY99.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:15 pm

Hi Jimmy,
Welcome to the Forums! The key repair should not be a big problem, like Saul I'm not sure of the exact mechanism, but it won't be complicated (I've never had to replace a key on any of my various Yamaha keyboards). You should be able to still get the parts from Yamaha, you can contact them directly or through an authorized repair center. Many SY77/99s seem to have dim display issues with age (so far both of mine are fine), Telesis backlights can be used for replacement, fairly easy if you are handy working around electronic circuits. There is also a good thread about SY99 lcd replacement on the EX5Tech Discussion site, www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultimatebb.cgi , this one used a really cool looking blue lcd replacement. Hope this helps.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”