SY99 Outputs: Balanced or Unbalanced?

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Quasar

SY99 Outputs: Balanced or Unbalanced?

Unread post by Quasar » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:40 am

I'm about to make my own audio cables but am not sure whether the SY99 outputs a balanced or unbalanced signal.

I'm assuming that it should be unbalanced, but since this was a flagship product, my assumption could be wrong.

My google searches and manual searches didn't specify anything.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: SY99 Outputs: Balanced or Unbalanced?

Unread post by Clyde » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:08 pm

Quasar wrote:I'm about to make my own audio cables but am not sure whether the SY99 outputs a balanced or unbalanced signal.

I'm assuming that it should be unbalanced, but since this was a flagship product, my assumption could be wrong.

My google searches and manual searches didn't specify anything.
Hi Quasar,
I don't recall ever seeing it in print anywhere, but I've always treated my SY77/99 as unbalanced. I don't think it would make a big difference either way as in my opinion the input impedence settings at your mixer/amp inputs are much more critical to obtaining good performance from these keyboards, much more than the volume slider settings on the keyboard or the channel/level slider on the mixer. I'll look up the settings for you and post them later.
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:12 pm

My input selector switches on my mixer are set for -20dB for my SY77, SY99, and my DX7IIFD. The channel volume sliders on the mixer vary according to what I'm doing, the volume sliders on the keyboards are set around 60%. Hope this helps.
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 am

Quasar,
Have you checked your private messages on this site? Please do and let me know if I can help.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”