Another Floppy Disc question

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

MarcUK

Another Floppy Disc question

Unread post by MarcUK » Sat May 19, 2007 11:36 pm

I've just recently replaced my SY55 with an SY99 (the 55 died a few months ago after nearly 20 years service!!).

The 99 came with some floppies with sound data on them. When I try to load the various sound collections I've noticed that some can be read by the 99's 'directory' function and some can't. Some only show as 'synth data' whilst others also show as 'all', and 'sound'. Having checked the floppies on my Windows XP PC to try and see what the files read as, I see that the files that can be read up to 'directory' level on the 99 have the suffix 'T_', whilst the ones that can't have the suffix 'J_'. Can anyone explain what's going on here, because there are individual sounds on the 'J_' ones that I'd love to be able to load into the Internal bank of my 99 without having to load the whole sound library.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sun May 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi MarkUK,
Welcome to the Forums! These are proprietary Yamaha file formats, the .t01 files are "All Data" files which include all data, synth setup, voices and multis, panning, microtuning, sequencer setup, song and pattern, voices, multis. The .j01 files are "Synthesizer All" files which save all of the synth settings but do not save the sequencer/song data. Other file formats you may encounter are .k01 "Sequencer All" files which are sequencer/song data, .w01 files which are sample/wave data, .c01 card data files, .b01 files which are MDR (midi data recorder) files, .m01 files which are one song in KSEQ format, .L01 files which are ESEQ sequencer files, and .x01 files which are standard midi files (format 0). It sounds like you are trying to build up a "work bank" of sounds in the user voice slots, I have found that the easiest way to do so was by using an MCD64 RAM card in the card slot, loading various soundbanks to the SY99 and saving the sounds I want individually to the card, load the next soundbank from disk and repeat the process, once I have completed loading all of the voices I want to the card, load card to synth, save on disk from synth as a workfile (usually in .j01 synth all format). My work files are simply called WorkVox1, WorkVox2, etc., but you can name them whatever you like. There might be an easier way to accomplish this process, but this is what has worked for me on my SY77 since 1990 and the SY99 I got about three years ago. Hope this helps.
Clyde
Quasar

Unread post by Quasar » Mon May 21, 2007 10:28 am

Clyde wrote:... I have found that the easiest way to do so was by using an MCD64 RAM card in the card slot,
Wow Clyde, thanks for the detailed explanation.

I didn't ask the question but I had been planning to scour the manual that information for quite some time. Forgive me for being lazy, but may I pick your brain for a little more information? :)

I don't have one of those ROM cards. Essentially, I want to save only one patch at a time into the "INT" memory, one at a time and keep on adding more from different disks.

At the end of the day, I want to save the full work bank as an overall collection.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Mon May 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi Quasar,
Without a RAM card it becomes a tedious and near impossible process. You can load a single voice or multi from disk provided that the file it is in is an All Data File (.t01-.t99). See page 268 of the SY99 owner's manual, Utility mode, load from disk at the top of the page for detailed instructions, this should also work for the SY77. If the voice you want is in any other type of file you will need a RAM card to build the work file or you will need to load the files and re-save them as .t01 All files and then follow the procedure on page 268. I see MCD64 RAM cards on eBay from time to time, I find them to be indispensable for some tasks, pick one up if you can. Another workaround that I used to use on the DX7II series might work on the SY77/99 if the edit buffer configurations have stayed the same. On the DX7II you could load a voice bank, find the voice you wanted and put it in the edit mode and leave it there, do not exit the edit mode. Then load your work bank from disk and that will load to the user slots, then save the voice that is still in the edit buffer to the location you wish it to be in your work bank. I have not tried this on the SY77/99, but it did work on the DX7II series (and the edit buffer was also like that on the original DX7). I wrote a user tip article for the old Yamaha Aftertouch magazine years ago on how to move voices with their associated fractional scaling data in the RAM cartridge from one work bank to another without having to use extra RAM carts, etc. by tricking the edit buffer in this manner. Hope this helps.
Clyde
Quasar

Unread post by Quasar » Wed May 23, 2007 7:22 pm

Thanks Clyde! I'm gonna go try that - nothing beats getting advice from an experienced user.

I'll keep a look out on ebay for the RAM cards.

--
David

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”