Syemb05 Memory Modules - Any around anymore?

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

dlt123

Syemb05 Memory Modules - Any around anymore?

Unread post by dlt123 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 pm

Hi, I've been looking for Syemb05 memory modules or anything about them. Are there still any around and if so what do these sell for these days?

I hear their expensive, but just how much are they selling for now? :?:

Thanks in advance for fielding my question.
Dennis
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:59 pm

Hi Dennis,
Welcome to the Forums! I would assume you are wanting to expand the RAM on an SY99 as I don't think the SYEMB05 boards fit anything but that. Every once in a while some will show up on eBay, they were around $270.00 US each from Yamaha when new, today they are worth whatever you are willing to pay for them depending on how bad you want them. I know a couple of different people have been working on SYEMB05 "clones" that will work in place of them, but I'm not aware of them being available yet.
Clyde
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:21 am

Just wondering how difficult it would be to modify the modules that Baz made for the SY85 ? Might be worth asking him.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:31 pm

Baz was going to try and make some SYEMB05 clones, don't know where he's at with this. I think they are different enough from each other that it requires a complete new piece rather than modifying an SYEMB06 clone.
Clyde
shadowmask
sector101.co.uk
sector101.co.uk
Great Britain

Unread post by shadowmask » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:47 pm

Guys,

There was a time when I was going to have a bash at making SYEMB05 clones. Seeing I don't have an SY99 to work with I was reluctant to start. Then I had the idea of getting a real SYEMB05 and get measurements and pinouts and clone that.

I did see 2 or 3 NOS boards come up on eBay last year but the final bids were lower than what it would cost me to make the clone boards which, as you can imagine, put me off again!

Then I learned of Musitronic's SY99 expansion boards.
To quote from their website:
You can buy two Versions of the SY99 Expansion: with 3MByte or with 5Myte. The 3MByte Expansion has the capacity of 6 Yamaha Memory Boards, the 5 MByte Expansion the capacity of 10 (!) Yamaha Boards.
These boards fit inside the SY99 and require some soldering to fit them.

The 3MB board will work with any SY99 but the 5MB board needs your SY to have a new OS chip installed or something like that. Check the link below...

http://musitronics.de/musitronics.org/p ... _ex_e.html

The 3MB board costs 199EURO which will be well below what you would pay for the same expansion using SYEMB05 boards.

Baz
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:30 pm

The 5mb Musitronics board requires that you have the last ROM version made (which was 1.57 I think). I've been thinking about ordering their 5mb version, mine already has the right ROM chip and coupled with the 3mb of SYEMB05 boards I have installed it would give me 8mb total.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”