SY99 midi data recorder [MDR]

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

echos

SY99 midi data recorder [MDR]

Unread post by echos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:30 am

I sent a midi file to the SY99 into the MDR memory. I was not able to load it into the seqencer because I got an illegal file type error. So instead I decided to try using cakewalk. That isnt a walk in the park either since it needs an instruments file to set it up properly.

I have an INS file coded neatly and its ready to use but I don't know what method for switching banks an sy99 has or how to figure out an MSB. any Ideas?

http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_build_ ... s_file.htm
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to do. You said you sent a midi file to the MDR memory, what type of midi file? MDR function is for saving patch banks, bulk dumps, etc. from other gear, not for importing SMFs to the SY to load in it's sequencer, so yes you would likely have gotten an illegal file message. See pages 279, 308, and 316 of the owner's manual for more info on MDR functions. Page 183 of the manual refers you to the MIDI Data Format booklet for details regarding the use of MIDI bank select numbers.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
echos

Unread post by echos » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:16 pm

Hey Clyde, yeah I was not sure how to dump a SMF file from PC into the SY.

What I am trying to do now is create an INS file so that when you use cakewalk as a sequencer that you can pick what patch to use from the software and the SY99 will respond accordingly. I have looked at the midi data manual but I'm not sure what I'm looking for and because its so technical.

Through a bit of trial and error I found that I'm able to access the Preset1 bank with a value of "2" in the configuration file like this:
Patch[2]=Yamaha SY-99 Preset1

Im at a brick wall again to make the other banks work though.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:51 pm

The simplest way to get a midi file into the SY99 is to load it from the SY's disk drive, page 267 of owner's manual, "load from disk (types 10 and 13): Like load operation type 9, load operations 10 and 13 are used to load data files containing a single song. Load operation 10 is used to load data saved using the E-Seq, N-Seq, and Standard Midi File formats." I simply don't understand all of the load it via MDR, putting it into Cakewalk, etc., the direct route via the disk drive is the simplest, fastest, easiest solution. All of the headaches caused by a computer within my keyboard rig is exactly why I took the computer out of it and went back to using hardware only, since I no longer have to troubleshoot, figure out how to accomplish file loads, or understand a completely convoluted method of going through multiple pieces of hardware/software to get a file loaded, I'm free to actually spend time making and recording music. If a computer made it simpler for me (as it does in some other areas of my life) I would still use one in my home studio. And that's my rant for the day!
Clyde
echos

Unread post by echos » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:32 am

Yeah I couldn't handle doing every little thing from the console panel that would be too much for me, I'm new to midi/music in general. Good news is that I found the needed info in the data format manual and verified that it works with cake 8)

But I'm not sure what the distinction here is... what is the difference between "Multi" and "Voice in Multi Internal" ??? shown on Page 2, section 1.2.1.3 in the chart.
echos

Unread post by echos » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:28 am

I found a file that adds support for all the yamahas to cakewalk: the SY series are defined in Yamaha Classics.ins in the InsDefs-2.exe archive on this page here.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Kno ... 3D,00.html
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:34 pm

echos wrote:Yeah I couldn't handle doing every little thing from the console panel that would be too much for me, I'm new to midi/music in general. Good news is that I found the needed info in the data format manual and verified that it works with cake 8)

But I'm not sure what the distinction here is... what is the difference between "Multi" and "Voice in Multi Internal" ??? shown on Page 2, section 1.2.1.3 in the chart.
A Multi is a performance mode if you will used for song/sequencer mode and contains 16 different Voices or sounds. A Voice in Multi Internal is simply one Voice witin the user editable Internal Multis (you can't change the voices in Preset or Card Multis).
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:36 pm

echos wrote:I found a file that adds support for all the yamahas to cakewalk: the SY series are defined in Yamaha Classics.ins in the InsDefs-2.exe archive on this page here.
http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Kno ... 3D,00.html
Nice find! There is a lot of info in the Knowledgebase, I've found many things there but I know there's a lot I've never seen.
Clyde
echos

Unread post by echos » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:21 am

The SY99 switches from multi-mode into voice-mode as soon as I hit the play button in cakewalk, and I set all my voices in the song to be ones from the multi bank presets so the program change messages should not be doing this. What could be wrong, how would I diagnose the problem?
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:39 pm

Obviously someting in Cakewalk is sending a message to change from multi mode to voice mode, the SY99 just does not do this on it's own. Again, these types of issues are why I prefer to work within the SY99's hardware sequencer and avoid the time wasted struggling to find out what is going wrong in the software. On the 99, I select a multi, hit record, and off I go, no fussing with this setting, that setting, why is this happening, how do I change this etc., but to each his own, many people prefer to work within software sequencers such as Cakewalk. And you've spent how many days now trying to get this up and running? Look for a program change message at the beginning of the one of the tracks in Cakewalk, that will be where your current issue lies.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”