How to format 720 kB/DD floppy disks in Windows XP,Vista,7,8

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

mrfrisky330

Re: How To Format a 720k Disc In Windows XP

Unread post by mrfrisky330 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:32 pm

I have a nice fancy iMac now the old PC has gone to a new home, my virus free world is lovely!

Currently I am using VirtualBox which is brill, but doesn't support USB floppy drives (which I bought off eBay from an old iMac for £3.50!), however all is not lost I have discovered if you run XP through VMWare Fusion it actually gives you better facilities than the competition and the USB formatting you are trying should work, as I bought the USb floppy so I could copy/read/format disks from my SY77.

Will try and format a 1.44 to 720k disk tonight and let you know if it works!

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:38 pm

I just formatted a 720k disc on my iMac via Windows 7 Ultimate running through Paralells Desktop 5. i used this command through a dos box FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9 It formatted and labelled the disc. It will also read SY85 discs in both OSX and Windows.

I'm using a Toshiba USB Floppy Drive model PA3109U-1FDD

Hope that's of some help ?

Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

hawkan2580

Unread post by hawkan2580 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:40 pm

Saul, yes and no... yes in that it "should" be possible, but probably isn't for me as I'm on PPC (got so much software that I haven't dared upgrade to intel ha ha).. so parallel is out.. I'm using virtual pc 7 with a real copy of windows xp (not the slimmed down virtual pc version) but alas... maybe it is the usb drive?? it might be that it refuses to format/read 720k...

I'm about to give up and pay someone to do the transfer for me as the time consumed to get this to work is getting beyond a joke... all I really want and need done is transferring about files taking up about 25-30 discs worth and that would be it.. no more housing Sy T.01 files on the computer at all.. (got plenty of discs, 2 working sy99 drives and just bought a beltless drive so I wouldn't need to house on a comp...)

Anyway.. I appreciate everyone's effort!! now I only have to find a place where they do the reverse ... I've seen a few places saying that they can transfer data from a floppy and burn to cd-rom.. I want to go the other way ha ha

mrfrisky330

Unread post by mrfrisky330 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Have you made sure the USB drive is NOT available to the host operating system? If the both the virtual and real machine have access that will cause issues, try unmounting it from the host PC (I can't remember if VPC does that automatically) also whats wrong with trying VMWare Player which is FREE, in my experience the best VM software is not always the first you try...

hawkan2580

Unread post by hawkan2580 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:30 pm

hmm. I'm on a mac ppc os x 10.4.11 or did you mean for me to run vmware player in the virtual machine?? in my case, the usb drive does not mount at all in osx, only in the virtual machine domain.. under osx, it's not recognised at all..

mrfrisky330

Unread post by mrfrisky330 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:16 pm

If you can run VMWare player on the MAC and use it to run XP, you should be able (you can on VMWare Workstation) use the existing VPC virtual XP machine in it, saving you a lot of potential issues like re-installing XP!

I'm running VMWare Fusion on Snow Leopard, it is a pity your limited to VM software due to your PPC hardware else VirtualBox would be another option.

Its intriguing the USB device is ignored in Tiger, also see if this is of any use to you:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL347
As having the latest OS version usually fixes many issues (back up before doing so!)
Also:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... mh610.html:
Is useful as the MAC doesn't like USB 1.0 and 2.0 devices in the same hub
As well as:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... h1145.html
See if this is of any use:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60394
Finally see if the drive maker has a drive for Tiger
Phew!

hawkan2580

Unread post by hawkan2580 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:42 am

I finally gave this a total miss and went down the road of caving in and bought an old pentium 4 running windows 2000 with confirmed drivers that works and writes to 720kb disks.. picking up tomorrow to use for the transfer of files and then pack up until next time I need it ha ha.. set me back about 35usd for the whole package so not the end of the world...

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:43 am

Sounds like a wise purchase to me :) For that sort of money it has to be worth it just to save all the hassle :)

Saul
Site Admin
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow me on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Original Scarab On Facebook
Seagull S6 Original/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/GarageBand 10.0.3/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Website Design & Managed Hostingwww.rabbittree.uk

synthjoe

Unread post by synthjoe » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am

hawkan2580 wrote:set me back about 35usd for the whole package so not the end of the world...
Trust me, this is a far better investment than spending the double on shipping disks across the world... :lol:

(Not considering the space it takes up, of course, but in your country space should not be an issue, should it? :))

Let us know is you need any further help with this issue!

hawkan2580

Unread post by hawkan2580 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks mate and thanks for all your kind offers of help! As I said before, really appreciate it:) The other good part of this is that I can get my sounddiver and sy manager programs to work that are not mac compatible either (even though I'm very comfortable working on the Sy99 too... especially when it comes back from the tech with the new lcd and fully serviced with new tact switches and sliders etc !!!

jhulk

Unread post by jhulk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:16 pm

not very good formating a hd disk as dd disk as the tape material is different and needs a higher magnetic pulse to write to it

when you tape the hole the floppy disk tells the floppy controler that its a 720 disk and changes the magnetic pulse for writing its ok for a while but then you start to get errors and they can fail in a very short time compared to real 720 disks you can get massive quantity of disks on ebay as they are still produced for the industrial sector for old robot machines

synthjoe

Unread post by synthjoe » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 pm

Coercivity of 3.5" DD and HD disks are less than 10% different (closer to 5%, if memory serves me well), pretty close to manufacturing tolerances, so this is much less of an issue than the half width of the HD head writing it. Reading a disk written on a DD drive should not be a problem on either HD or DD drives. However, the opposite is not necessarily true (DD drives formatted/written on a HD drive might be difficult to read with a DD drive - HD drives should work fine).

antonio

Unread post by antonio » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:27 pm

My newer pc,s floppy drives don,t do the job, i don,t know why.
The solution for me was using an older pc.
Ton.

JK1974

Unread post by JK1974 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:32 pm

I bought a new USB floppy drive around 6-12 months ago and used it several weeks ago on Windows 7 for copying all my near 15-20 years old diskettes.
First of all, I thought that a lot of data was lost, I counted more than 15 disks not working at all (of more >40) - read errors beginning right from the first sector. But then I remembered to tape the density hole, and now <5 are left with defective sectors.
So basically, I don´t believe that this is a OS limitation. Maybe some drives use an optical density detection so that you either have to use a non-transparent tape or put a little paper ball into the hole and then fix it with the tape.

creative69

Unread post by creative69 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Works perfectly thank you Saul, as he says "how to format a 720k disk in windows XP" .
I does not say mac or any other system. I use mac's for music work but got a pc because so many synths and editors are pc based, I mean come on you can pick up a pc for the price of a plugin these days! <->

Yamaha:Motif XS8, 02R, 01V, SY77 (x2), DX7IID, SY99!!!!
Roland:D-50, JX3P, Fantom G8, MKS-20, JV1080
Korg:TR Rack
Oberheim:Matrix 6

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”