May want to add more SY to my studio

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

May want to add more SY to my studio

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:00 am

Though I posted this in the Items Wanted Forum, I'm going to post it here also. After 15 years of using the SY77 in my home studio, I'm thinkjing about picking up an SY99 to use, mainly for the better effects unit and the ability to load samples. I'm also going to add a Motif ES later this year (how I wish that had AFM and RCM on it!). If anyone has an SY99 for sale, preferably in the US to facilitate shipping, let me know.
Clyde
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:27 am

And in today's mail the first of the five updated ROM chips arrived for my SY77. This one was the sequencer rom chip and was labeled for the SY99, so the 77 & 99 sequencers must be the same (I did confirm with Yamaha today that this was the correct chip). I have to wait for all five to arrive as they have to be installed at the same time.
Clyde
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:10 am

That's interesting news Clyde. Do you think it's going to make a big difference when you upgrade ? I mean what improvements are there over the old rom versions?

Have only seen one SY99 for sale recently and that's on Ebay UK At the moment it has reached £150 with two days to go.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:41 pm

Hi Saul,
There are far too many "little things" changed in the ROMs to really go into detail, many are just little glitches and inconsistencies that you would rarely notice. If I discover something "earth-shaking" in the new ROMs I'll post about it here. Perhaps my biggest reason for doing the upgrades was to make sure that my 77 could read 99 files easily, I've got quite a few 99 files here. I'm going to keep an eye out for a 99, but it is not essential to my music, just thought it would be nice to have one. I would probably be better off investing the price of a 99 into a digital mixer/recorder, I'm still using multi-track tape for my finished songs.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”