SY99 Replacement LCD

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rasscass

SY99 Replacement LCD

Unread post by rasscass » Tue May 03, 2005 2:55 pm

Hi to all,

The good news: I'm the proud owner of a 2nd-hand SY99. Had a SY77 years ago, composed many a song on it, sold it, regretted it and have now reunited with it its big brother the SY99.

The bad news: the LCD was smashed during transit :(

Anyway I called Yamaha Australia for a quote on a replacement LCD. They want $500AU - which is half of what I paid for the 99. I've searched the forums and have come across a couple of posts relating to replacing the LCD and where they can be bought.

So friends, just a couple of questions please:
Is the LCD in the 99 the same as the 77's? If not what is the equivalent part no.? I'm not particulary keen on opening up the 99. I thought it more sensible to buy the part and pay a professional to install it.

Thanks for reading this far. I'm glad I found this place. Look forward to your replies.

Best, Greg
Arbian

Unread post by Arbian » Tue May 03, 2005 4:18 pm

Hi,

Try this place. Have your repair company near your location deal with these people if you don't want to open the keyboard yourself.

I got on their mailing list somehow and have bought some used gear from them but never had a LCD repaired by them.

The price doesn't sound too bad but they only give the price of the "backlight" repair. They mention also having LCDs and speak of Yamaha's TG77 which I believe has the same LCD. I have 2 SY99s, 2 SY85s, 2 SY77S, and a TG77, and if memory serves me correctly (I'm not at home to verify), the LCDs are the same on all of them.

Hope this helps... Let everybody know how it goes...

Randy
Arbian

Unread post by Arbian » Tue May 03, 2005 4:20 pm

Oooppsss... work interferes with pleasure...

http://backlights.telesisgear.com/
rasscass

Unread post by rasscass » Fri May 06, 2005 5:32 pm

Thanks for the link Arbian. Shall send them an email.

Greg
just4fun

Unread post by just4fun » Sun Jul 17, 2005 12:28 pm

Hi all, new member here from downunder. I am about to replace the backlight on my SY99 with one from Telesis. I have used them before when I had to do my D70. Their service is great

cheers
Lee

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”