Sample dump with SY99 - please help!

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

michat

Sample dump with SY99 - please help!

Unread post by michat » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:56 pm

Hi there,
I´ve a problem with my sy99 and sample dump via midi sds.
1st: the sy looses some packages from the dump (9 packages from a single-cycle wave!)
2nd: sampledata* corrupted when activating loop function (* including other samples and data sounds!)
(I tried to add some zero-samples after looppoint, but nothing changed)

MainRom VersionNr.: 1.33

:?:
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:52 pm

Hi michat,
Welcome to the Forums! I take it that the samples you are trying to download are not in SY99 format. Sysex dumps and sample dumps can be problematical, the SY series seem to be a little fickle when it comes to these. Everything I have loaded into my recently purchased SY99 (version 1.57 ROM) has loaded fine, but I load from the disk drive only, never from the computer. For 15 years, all of the files I have loaded to my SY77 have been via disk. You may be experiencing a software/synth issue, such as one or the other "timing out" before the transmission is complete. If it were me, I would convert the files to SY99 format and load from the synth disk drive, that has been the most reliable for me over the years. Another thought that comes to mind is do you have enough sample ram installed to handle the samples you are trying to load? The 99 only came with 1/2 mb of sample ram, in order to load larger samples, you must have additional ram boards installed (up to five of them to give you three mb total), or if you have the last software revision of the main ROM (1.57), you can install five SYEMB memory boards and a Musitronics expansion board with them to give you eight megs total. Check the 99 owners manual for further info on sample ram boards. Hope this helps.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”