Defective SY99 disk from eBay

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul, Fozzer

JK1974

Defective SY99 disk from eBay

Unread post by JK1974 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:07 am

Hi,

I recently bought a used SY99 disk set from EasySounds on eBay, containing the "Drumsound Library" I alread had, but also the sets "Digital Fascination" and "Dance Producer" I did not have in my collection. Unfortunately, the "Dance Producer" disk has an error, and the seller does not have a digital copy left. Additionally, this disk is also not part of any of our know download ressources (yes, they sometimes also contain non-public domain content). I tried to recover the disk it using the good old "VGACopy" in a Windows XP Virtual Machine (with VirtualBox) running on Win7, but there is still one unreadable sector. Tools like "Unstoppable Copier" also do not help if a used sector is really defective.

So I was able to create a faulty image file, and I am able to extract the DANCE99.T01 file. As I am currently moving, I don´t have the SY99 with me, but even if it would load the file/image (with USB floppy emulator) without CRC error message etc. and it was just one defective sample that is effected, I still want the original file (also e.g. because of my "library project" I mentioned at http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =15#p28114).

I found information on "Dance Producer" in my old catalogues: It seems to have been released in the beginning of 1997 (march?) and has been created by Jörg Holzamer. It has 64 voices, 37 samples (512k) and 64 demo pattern and contains - as you might imagine - basses, leads, vintage sounds etc. for electronic dance music (of the 90ies... ;)).

Does anyone have a working copy? As I don´t want to support piracy here, I could recommend a elegant solution that might also be interesting of sharing for all disk images/Txx+Jxx files we know of. Of course, I could send you the screenshot of VGACopy showing the defective sector, the defective disk image or Txx file as a proof of my possession of this disk. But there would also be the solution of creating a PAR2 files that can be used for verification, but also for the recovery of defective (depending on the settings even missing) files.
So, if you own the original disk image or the DANCE99.T01 file, can you create PAR2 files with the tool MultiPar from http://multipar.eu/ and send me those files (at least the second one?)? Creating this file is simple: Drag and drop the disk image file or the DANCE99.T01 file to the MultiPar window, set the "Number of recovery blocks" to at least "4" (might be enough in my case) and press "Create" in the lower right corner (I hope that the default block size is enough). I simply have to put this created files in the same folder like my defective image or Txx file and double click it - my version will be repaired, although the PAR2 files are just 40k with the settings above (compared to the 650k of the whole Txx file).

Thank you very much in advance!

BTW: The first sounds seem to be called "BA.THE SAW", "BA:THE SQR" and "BA.FAT PWM".

rtype909

Re: Defective SY99 disk from eBay

Unread post by rtype909 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:47 pm

I'll have a look.

rtype909

Unread post by rtype909 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:54 pm

sorry don't have this one. But i'll keep looking across my disks to see if anything like BA.The.Saw etc comes up

JK1974

Unread post by JK1974 » Sun May 03, 2015 12:42 am

Thany you very much in advance!

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”