replacing sy99 disk drive?

The Yamaha SY99 is a synthesiser combining frequency modulation synthesis (branded as Advanced FM) and sample-based synthesis (branded as Advanced Wave Memory 2) and the direct successor to Yamaha's SY77/TG77

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Ryan999

replacing sy99 disk drive?

Unread post by Ryan999 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:01 pm

I've read a lot of discussion on these forums about replacing new disk drives for various SY series synths and that often it can be taken care of with a new belt and some cleaning. I have an SY99 and when I put a disk into the drive and try to load new voices the red light comes on and stays on and seems to "lock up" the synth because none of the control buttons will do anything during this time. When this happens the drive is by no means noisy but if I put my ear close to the drive I can hear some kind of noise like it is trying to access the disk but can't. The only thing I can do is turn the whole thing off and turn it back on, where everything becomes normal again except, of course, when trying to access the disk drive. Does this sound like a simple belt problem or something more severe? Also, if so could someone please give some instruction as to how to go about getting to the drive. I'm guessing you have to take all the screws out of the bottom and get at it from underneath. Anyways, your help would be most appreciated!
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:38 pm

Welcome aboard Ryan :)

Yes it sounds like the belt has gone. It's quite easy to replace. Just take all the screws out of the bottom of the keyboard to access the drive. There's someone selling belt kits on Ebay so you can alway pick up a replacement there or try your local audio/hi-fi/electrical store. They usually have a range of belts and if you take the old one with you, it should be easy enough to match one up :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Ryan999

Unread post by Ryan999 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:52 am

Thanks a lot for such a timely reply! Sounds like hopefully it will be an easy fix. I'll post an update and let you know how it goes once I have had a chance to get in there and take a look. Again, Thanks so much and hopefully I will get this baby fully operational again soon! :D
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:05 pm

Often the belt is stretched rather than broken, in that case you have to purchase a belt that is slightly shorter than your stretched original.
Clyde

Return to “Yamaha SY99 Forum”