SY85 original demo songs online!

The Yamaha SY85 is a digital music workstation introduced in 1992. Unlike other Yamaha synthesizers of the time (SY77 and the SY99) the SY85 does not use FM synthesis. Instead, its sounds are based on samples, which can be layered and modified to create new sounds.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

SpotlightKid

SY85 original demo songs online!

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Thu May 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Hi all,

I finally got my SY85's floppy drive repaired! (got the drive belt from a small electronics shop here in Cologne for EUR 3.50) so I'm busy now wading through all the sound disks I found here in the download section and elsewhere on the net and listening to the demo songs.

When I was about to buy my SY85 I tried to find some sound demos on YouTube but there wasn't much, so I decided to record a bunch of the official demo songs from Yamaha and some of the public domain sound disks.

So here is - for you to listen and enjoy - early nineties cheesy synth demo galore:

http://chrisarndt.de/music/homerecording/sy85-demos/

Check out the awesome SoulGuit, SYMPHONY and HiptyHop songs! My special favourite, since I'm from Germany: WeanWean :lol: (don't get caught listening to this by your friends! :wink:)

Chris
djbc

Unread post by djbc » Fri May 22, 2009 10:55 pm

These are awesome, thanks!
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Sat May 23, 2009 1:58 am

I'm glad you like them. I have put two more songs online: "LookEast", a demo song with the factory preset voices with a slight Asian touch and "SkoolTek", a techno song with the samples from the European demo disk. I also corrected "MadWorld", where the samples where missing from the track.

For the record: these were all recorded directly from my SY85's stereo output into my mixing desk and then into an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and the DAW was Tracktion 2. No host effects except a light limiter on the master bus.

I hope to put up more demo songs from the other sound disks soon!

Chris
Last edited by SpotlightKid on Sat May 23, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat May 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Well done Chris. For me though I just get a black screen with "Video Is Loading" in the middle, must be something my end.

Have you thought about doing a vid and sticking it on youtube? Just thinking it would be interesting for people to see as well as hear the SY85? It's still a fantastic keyboard 16 years after it's release! :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Sat May 23, 2009 2:40 pm

I think this is an an issue with the setup of your browser. Do you have a video player installed, that sets itself up as a browser plug-in which handles MP3 files? I know that VLC does this, for example. Though on my computers it plays the MP3s in the browser without problems. You can always download the MP3s with right-click/"Save as..." and play them with your media player. To download them all at once, if you use Fiorefox, you can use the excellent "DownThemAll!" extension.

About putting videos on YouTube, yes, I thought about that, but I never tried it before and I have never worked with any video creation software. Do you have any recommendations for this?

Chris
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat May 23, 2009 3:01 pm

I have VLC installed and it was this that caused the problem. Have since associated mp3's with GOM player http://www.gomlab.com/eng/GMP_download.html and now it works fine.

As for Video for youtube it depends on what equipment you have. All you really need is a web cam and some software such as the Creative Live Cam Optia and associated software. You can pick that up for around £7 from Eclipse Computers That will do the job but if you want to go a little bit further up the quality ladder you really need a proper video camera and something like Jahshaka which is a free video editing software. Or Adobe Elements 7 which retails around the £50 mark but it's well worth the money :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sat May 23, 2009 3:14 pm

The SY99 video in the linked thread was well done, a nice collection of some of the factory SY99 demos.

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/modules.p ... pic&t=3188

Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:22 am

I finally got around to setting up my new blog and I have now posted an article with all the SY85 demo songs mentioned above. Each song can be played in the browser through the embedded Flash MP3 player or downloaded through a provided link. There is also a short description for each demo song, but the article (as my whole blog so far) is in German language (foreign readers, just scroll down past my introductory drivel to the songs).

http://blog.chrisarndt.de/article/138

Have fun, Chris
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:01 am

I just need to brush up on my German reading, my mother was from Karlsruhe so I learned to speak German at a young age but I did very little reading in German so I'm very slow at it. I'll have to take a look at your blog and get a little reading practice.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:27 pm

Hiya, just posted another batch of 30 demo songs to my blog (well, actually only 29 are new but I forgot to include one song into the last post I already had on the website):

http://blog.chrisarndt.de/article/183

These are all* SY85 demo songs which could I find on the sound disks I downloaded from various places on the internet (like in the downloads section here, at the Yamaha website, the yahoo group, etc.). So if you have a SY85 sound disk, which includes a demo song that is not on my website yet, please consider sharing it with me, so that I can record the demo song and add it on my site!

Enjoy listening!

* minus some demo songs which contained only a drum loop.
SpotlightKid

Re: SY85 original demo songs online!

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Could we maybe add this thread to the stickies?

Would have helped me when I was shopping for the SY85...

Chris
Akai Miniak | Korg Wavestation EX | Kurzweil K2500RS+KDFX - PC3 | Roland JV-1010 | Yamaha An1x - SY77 | Waldorf microWAVE II
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Just stickied and thanks for all the hard work :)
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

fhedcuenco

Unread post by fhedcuenco » Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:42 am

thank you very very much chris ive been looking for this for so long time frend. im very happy for it...
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 am

I'm glad I could be of help. Feel free to post a comment on my blog as well!

Chris
Akai Miniak | Korg Wavestation EX | Kurzweil K2500RS+KDFX - PC3 | Roland JV-1010 | Yamaha An1x - SY77 | Waldorf microWAVE II

Return to “Yamaha SY85 Forum - Covers the SY85 Keyboard and TG500 Module”