Yamaha Reset List

The Yamaha SY85 is a digital music workstation introduced in 1992. Unlike other Yamaha synthesizers of the time (SY77 and the SY99) the SY85 does not use FM synthesis. Instead, its sounds are based on samples, which can be layered and modified to create new sounds.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Yamaha Reset List

Unread post by Saul » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:54 pm

Here's a quick link to Yamaha's reset list in case you want to know how to put your keyboard back to factory settings. Remember to back up any user created patches etc before you perform a reset!

Yamaha Reset List
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Thu May 07, 2009 11:08 am

The link above seems dead. However, the reset list is still available at the Swiss and Belgian Yamaha site:

Yamaha Switzerland reset list

Yamaha Belgium reset list

The reset procedure for the SY85 is not in the list, but it is described in this SY85 FAQ (under "I have heard there is a secret 'Test Menu' on the Yamaha SY85 - Is this true?"):

Pure energy SY85 FAQ

Chris
sotnef2

Re: Yamaha Reset List

Unread post by sotnef2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm

This is what i found for reset.

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/mus ... _procedure

SY85 Factory Reset procedure

Last Update: 11/09/2004
WARNING: All user stored data will be deleted. If the current settings and data are not expendable, create a backup before executing the Factory Reset.

1) Turn on the power.
NOTE: All buttons must be pressed and held simultaneously in sequence to engage the test routine.
2) Press and hold down the [SHIFT] button, together with the [STORE] button and then the [EXIT] button.
3) The SY85 will run the initial test routine and display the test menu.
4) Press the [MENU] button. The SY85 will execute test 44 ''Factory Set'' and return to play mode.
5) Press the [+1] button.
6) Reload the internal memory (Synthesizer Data) from the 3.5'' Factory Floppy Disk. This step is required because all Synthesizer data is deleted.
a) Press the [UTILITY] button.
b) Press the SUB MODE 'DISK' button.
c) Press the [F1] button.
d) Press the [ENTER/YES] button twice.

Reference: Owner's Manual, p.225

PS: All above links are dead (or i couldn't track the lists in the sites...)

greetings.
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:51 pm

Thanks for posting that info. And yes the links above are dead, after they were posted Yamaha edited all their websites and all the links went out of date.
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Yeah Yamaha have a habit of doing this with the reset list and also the manuals site. Wouldn't be so bad if they made a prominent link for these things on their main site but you have to jump through hoops to find these things.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
Clyde
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Unread post by Clyde » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 pm

I don't think Yamaha's manuals link has changed for quite some time, it's been in my "Favorites list" forever. At least Yamaha makes their manuals readily available, try finding an owner's manual from some of the other companies out there (and not just synths/keyboards, but all product categories).
Clyde
DX7IIFD, SY77, SY99, Hammond C3, Steinway L, CP300, AW1600, etc.
daverbate

Unread post by daverbate » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:31 pm

Sorry if this is in the wrong area of the forum, i have my original sy 85 disks is there any way
i can convert there content to midi data to send to my sy 85 to restore my sy factory set voices
or is this midi data downloadable, iwas hoping to use a usb to midi in out adapter as at the moment
my floppy drive will not function tried a new belt etc, tyring to get hold of a adapter for the floppy drive
to use a beltless floppy drive can any one help are these adapters still available
SpotlightKid

Unread post by SpotlightKid » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:22 pm

This was discussed already a few time on this forum.

No, there is no way to convert the disk files the SY85 writes to Sysex (I guess that's what you mean with "midi data") without a SY85 with a working floppy drive; and some data (sounds with samples, songs, patterns) can not be converted to sysex at all. It coul be done in theory but there is no existing software for it and there is not enough information known about the proprietary Yamaha file formats.

You can search for messages from me on this forum where I explained the matter in more detail.

Chris
Akai Miniak | Korg Wavestation EX | Kurzweil K2500RS+KDFX - PC3 | Roland JV-1010 | Yamaha An1x - SY77 | Waldorf microWAVE II

Return to “Yamaha SY85 Forum - Covers the SY85 Keyboard and TG500 Module”