using iPhone as a MIDI controller for hardware

iPad,iPhone,iPod Touch and Android Apps and Hardware for musicians. If you see an app or pieces of hardware you think would be useful for musicians using these devices please post details here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

squishmusic
Ireland

using iPhone as a MIDI controller for hardware

Unread post by squishmusic » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Hi all.
I'll keep it brief: equipment I wish to connect and what I wish to achieve.
Alesis Micron (MIDI i/o/t)
Yamaha QY70 for sequencing duties (MIDI i/o/pseudo-thru).
Yamaha MDF2 with data I wish to retrieve (midi files and sysex data)
iPhone 5 running last ios10 update with various ios apps.
I have a Midi-USB interface(TIE Studio professional Midi to USB Interface 1i1o).
Macbook white running OSX 10.6

I wish to use my iPhone as a MIDI controller (CC, sysex & NRPN's) to send data in both directions for sequencing and playback via my MAC (or IDEALLY) direct to my MIDI gear/hardware.
In that respect what MIDI ios utilities/apps will I need, and what would be good to have in general.

NOTE: I am a total newbie to computer music. Ive only had/ran MIDI studio gear/setup.
Cheers all!
squishmusic
Ireland

Re: using iPhone as a MIDI controller for hardware

Unread post by squishmusic » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Just so I dont come across as lasy...Ive done hours of research which ended me considering the Arturia Beatstep (nice size and keyless), ...however it needs a s/ware editor to change the encoder parameters (cant be done on the unit) and their editor wont run in my osx10.6 environment....this made me then think about ios apps as controllers of NRPN data...so any tips there mucho appreciated.
+ What other small MIDI hardware controllers are there without keys, small footprint and a 'normal' MIDI i/o/t rather than all this USB-Y ports :/
I know...Im living in the 90s still :D
squishmusic wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:04 pm

I wish to use my iPhone as a MIDI controller (CC, sysex & NRPN's) to send data in both directions for sequencing and playback via my MAC (or IDEALLY) direct to my MIDI gear/hardware.
In that respect what MIDI ios utilities/apps will I need, and what would be good to have in general.

Return to “Apple iPad,iPhone,iPod Touch and Android Apps & Hardware”