Yamaha DGX 500 as controller

iPad,iPhone,iPod Touch and Android Apps and Hardware for musicians. If you see an app or pieces of hardware you think would be useful for musicians using these devices please post details here.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

Damo71

Yamaha DGX 500 as controller

Unread post by Damo71 »

Hi, this is my first post. Just wondering what I need to use a dgx500 as a GarageBand controller on iPad Pro 2 (lightning connection).

Is there a no-hassle option that can connect the keyboard to my iPad? All the cables I see on Amazon are USB MÍDI to lightning. The dgx doesn’t have usb MIDI port, just the old-type MIDi.

Thanks

Damo

Platinum Producer Bundle 2019
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Yamaha DGX 500 as controller

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

You could try something like the iRig MIDI 2:

ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi2/

If you have additional instruments-- including microphone-- you might want to look into a USB audio interface that includes MIDI DIN ports, but the iRig MIDI 2 should fill the bill if you've got just the DGX-500.
Last edited by parametric on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed the Link , but left the address ;-)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location.: UK, West Sussex

Re: Yamaha DGX 500 as controller

Unread post by Saul »

Damo71 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:36 am
Hi, this is my first post. Just wondering what I need to use a dgx500 as a GarageBand controller on iPad Pro 2 (lightning connection).

Is there a no-hassle option that can connect the keyboard to my iPad? All the cables I see on Amazon are USB MÍDI to lightning. The dgx doesn’t have usb MIDI port, just the old-type MIDi.

Thanks

Damo
Hi Damo, welcome to the forums :)

The easiest way to connect your DGX500 to an iPad or any other Bluetooth enabled device is with the Yamaha MD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter
Yamaha MDBT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter.png
Wirelessly connect your iOS devices (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) to your instrument with Bluetooth and avoid having to reconnect every time you play. Use music apps without cables and enjoy the freedom that wireless technology brings to your performances.

How to Connect:

1. Connect MD-BT01 to your instrument’s MIDI IN/OUT terminals

2. Open the app on your iOS device

3. In the app, turn on MIDI Bluetooth
Saul
Site Admin
#masks4all

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Please Note: This site is supported by Amazon Associate advertising links. Any links in my posts may lead to products on the Amazon website. These will not incur any extra cost to you but may help me via the generation of a small commission should you choose to purchase a product.