odd choice for default

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
dr4sight

odd choice for default

Unread post by dr4sight » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:04 pm

When I turn my DGX-650 on the screen shows that under STYLE it reads MAIN B.

For myself when I use the auto accompaniment I almost invariably start with the MAIN A and then in the second or third verse (or the chorus) I will switch to the MAIN B.

I have to wonder why Yamaha would choose MAIN B as the default. Unless I am reading the manual and functions info wrong there would be no way to change the default so that if one chooses and prefers MAIN A as the default it would come up as soon as the piano is turned on.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: odd choice for default

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:45 pm

Some of the built-in songs have a style associated with them, just as you can record a User Song with an accompaniment track if you wish. On those built-in songs which use a style, selecting a song will also select the associated style, the style variation that the song uses first, and the tempo for the song.

If you turn on the keyboard and notice that a particular style variation and tempo are coming up as the “default,” then those are probably the settings used by Song 001 on that keyboard model.

EDIT: However, as an historical note, I think I read somewhere that the earliest Yamaha styles had only one rhythm, and that when Yamaha later reworked those early styles to add a variation to them, the original rhythm generally became Variation B and the newer (often more complex) variation became Variation A. And Yamaha’s “workstation arrangers” now use styles that have four variations— A, B, C, and D. However, the XGlite-compatible models (such as the DGX and PSR-E lines) still use styles that have only two variations.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”