Why are people prepared to pay so much for a PSR340?

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

iixorbiusii

Why are people prepared to pay so much for a PSR340?

Unread post by iixorbiusii » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi there,

I gave my Yamaha PSR340 to my 'kid' brother-in-law nearly 20 years ago, not long after I bought it - which he still has in good condition but he doesn't use it anymore.

I am really curious as to why people are prepared to spend so much on this old, plastic thing ! They are selling for anything from £200 to £500 on ebay! This isn't just what people are 'hoping' to get.... they are actually selling at these prices !!

Should I get it back off him and sell it ? ;-) Please could someone let me know why the Yamaha PSR-340 is still so popular, as I just cannot figure out why they are commanding such a high value on the second hand market.

Cheers,
Steve.
User avatar United States of America
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Why are people prepared to pay so much for a PSR340?

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:09 pm

I've never played any of the older PSR models, but I've read comments from people who talk about the differences in sound quality between the older PSR models and the newer PSR-E models. Of course, the really old PSR models are another matter, because they weren't as good as the later PSR models as far as the variety and quality of voices. But the later PSR models had XG voices, whereas the PSR-E models just have XGlite voices (and panel voices). The chips are different, and some people say that the older chips sound better-- but I can't say, since I've never heard one of the PSR models. The newer PSR-S models are of course much better, but they also cost a lot more. So that might be part of the reason why some people are willing to pay a few hundred for an old PSR model. And some people also believe that the older models had more robust builds as far as materials used and how long the circuitry lasts before something goes bad.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”