PSR-8000 hard disk

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

rocky

PSR-8000 hard disk

Unread post by rocky » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:13 pm

I recently tried fitting a hard disk to my PSR-8000, however the disk does not spin up. I have tried this with two different disks, (both of which work fine if connected to my laptop), but neither of them appear to power up when installed in the 8000, and all the hard disk menu functions remain greyed out. The hard disk cable has never been used until now since the keyboard was new, however it seems that no power is being supplied to the disk.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi Rocky

What capacity hard drives are you installing ? Also what make and model ?
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
rocky

Unread post by rocky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:05 am

Saul,

The drive I intended to fit is an IBM model:DBCA-204860 E182115 T
capacity 4.09 gb manufactured in 1999.

I understand that the maximum capacity accessible by the 8000 is about 800 mb, and I wasn't sure if the drive would be readable or not , however I was surprised that it didn't even spin up.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 am

Might be too big a drive. I assume you checked the cable was in the right way around, although I think it can only go one way?

I would have thought a 4.09gb drive would be ok though and it would just format it to 800mb.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
rocky

Unread post by rocky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:59 am

You're quite correct, the cable can only be fitted one way, and I re-plugged it several times to be sure. I'm wondering if there's a dodgy connection at the other end of the cable, unfortunately you can't see it through the hard disk bay. It would probably require removal of the keyboard case.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:32 am

Yamaha equipment can be pretty picky over which hardware works with it. Technically speaking, any hard drive that meets the specs should work but with Yamaha you never know.

In any case it's not going to be easy to find a hard drive of that small a capacity these days. According to Yamaha a drive "over" 800mb should be fitted and then you use the PSR's menu to format to the correct capacity.

You could try formatting the drive to FAT or FAT32 in your laptop or PC..with and adapter cable first and then seeing if the PSR would recognize it.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:04 am

Is the Hard Drive the same type of drive that is fitted in Computers?

These have two separate connections;
A ribbon cable connecting the HDD to the IDE Socket on the PCB, and a separate power cable connected to the 4-pin socket on rear of the the HDD.

Without the power supply cable connected, the HDD will not work?

Also, on Computer HDD's, the Drive must be set up as either Master or Slave connection, using the included shorting plugs on the rear of the Drive otherwise it will not be recognised. (A connection diagram is placed on the HDD).

Is the cable connection to the HDD on the Keyboard different to the standard Computer cabling arrangement?

Paul...(buried in my Computer most of the time)... 8) ...!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
rocky

Unread post by rocky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:49 am

Saul,

Drive is already formatted and when I plug it into my laptop via a USB disk caddy I can read and write to it with no problems and it tests with no errors.

Paul,

The drives you're thinking of with separate power leads are the 3.5" type usually fitted in desktop PCs. The 2.5" drives that fit in the PSR-8000 are the type found in laptops and power & data are all carried along the one interface cable, which can only be fitted one way. (I'm quite familiar with them as I work in I.T.) There are currently no jumpers fitted on the drive, but even if they were set incorrectly I would still expect the drive to power up. The problem seems to be that it remains completely dead when connected to the 8000.

Thanks for your input.
Yamaha PSR-8000, Clavinova CVP94, Korg Poly 800, Casio CT6500, Casio CZ101.
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:11 am

Is it formatted as NTFS or FAT ? If your running XP then it's more likely to be NTFS but since you work in IT as I do you will already know that.

The reason I mention to format as a FAT volume is because most devices that use hard drives apart from computers will very rarely recognise a NTFS volume. Having said that, I would expect it to power up and give some sort of error message if it did not recognize the drive.

Perhaps then the problem lays in the PSR itself. I think next stop then has to be Yamaha ?
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr

Fozzer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by Fozzer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 am

Hello Rocky...

Got you, Mate..;)...!

Ta for the heads-up on the two different types of Drives, (PC/Laptop....;)...!

I'm out of suggestions now... :cry: ...!

Cheers...

Paul...(...still got my head buried in my 'Puter)... :lol: ...!
Yamaha MO6, MM6,DX7,DX11,DX21,DX100,MK100,EMT 10,PSR 400,PSS 780,Roland GW-8L v2,Roland TR 505,Casio MT-205, Korg CX-3v2 dual manual (Hammond B3 clone) + Leslie 760/770,M-Audio Pro-keys 88, Key Rig,Cubase,Keyfax4.Various Guitars.Orchestral,Baroque,Renaissance,Medieval Instruments.....and a Petrol Lawn Mower...
http://forums.simviation.com/phpBB3/index.php
rocky

Unread post by rocky » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:21 am

I will double check whether the drive is formatted as FAT or NTFS, but as you say, I would still have expected it to spin up even if it subsequently wasn't recognised. That's what makes me suspect an internal problem with the keyboard.

Thanks for your help.
Yamaha PSR-8000, Clavinova CVP94, Korg Poly 800, Casio CT6500, Casio CZ101.
traveller0392

hard dıskc and usb

Unread post by traveller0392 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi guys.....

I have a psr8000 and would like to get hold of a hard drıve either the Toshiba or what ever....... but the problem is... where I live it is hard to get these...... and they dont cater much for the 1GB hd much anyway.

So what I am considering is getting a converter from the output of the keyboard to convert to USB..... sounds simple enough although all my pc tech people say cannot be that simple....

Have you any thoughts about this too :?:
User avatar Great Britain
Guyfingers

Re: PSR-8000 hard disk

Unread post by Guyfingers » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm

I know this is a bit late to the table, but my suspicion is that

a) The HDD has been inserted one row above normal (Best way to connect HHD to cable is to NOT have it attached to the backplate.

b) the HDD connector ribbon has come off the mother board. Undo all the screws underneath, the cover for the Ram/Rom, then remove the metal cover holding the motherboard down. Make sure the HDD connector is well plugged in. (It;s a multicoloured one towards the bottom left of the mobo.)
Then put it all back together again.

The reason I say b0, is that I recently replaced the key strip as one note had lost velocity sensitivity and when putting it all back together, I forgot to connect he HDD ribbon and got the symptoms as described above. Connected it and put it all back together and boom - we had HDD.

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”