Sound editor for old PSS x80 synths

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

bobby

Sound editor for old PSS x80 synths

Unread post by bobby » Fri May 13, 2005 4:26 pm

Hi, all
I'm new here, and I don't want to look like some spamer.

A couple of years ago, I wrote a small VB program for editing the sounds on my Yamaha PSS - 780.
At the time, I didn't have a internet site.
Now I have a site at http://members.chello.at/bobby100/ , and I decided to put my old PSS Edit program in the section My Old Programs.

The program isn't polished, and it have bugs, but it is usable.
My checksumm algorithm sometimes produces bad checksumms, and the parameters aren't accepted by the keyboard. This happens in very rare cases, and there is a solution posted on my site.

I'm not in the situation to continue my work on this program, because my PSS-780 keyboard is 1000 miles away from me, and I also do not own VisualBasic anymore.

Recently I have mailed other guy working on the similar app, and pointed him to my source code. Expect further improvments from him.
It's web page is located at: http://members.aol.com/templarseries/synths.html

regards and I apologize for my bad english.

Boban Spasic aka bobby
Advertisement
1000 Free EDM Samples
User avatar Ireland
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by Saul » Sat May 14, 2005 8:01 am

Many thanks for the link Bobby. I am sure there will be many PSS users who will find it very useful :)
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Tumblr
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

CASIO PX-S1000/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ibanez AE245/Arturia Keylab 61 MKII/Arturia Analog Lab 3/Arturia Piano V2/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Ableton Live 10/Behringer QX1202USB Mixer/Presonus Eris 4.5 Active Monitors. Minelab Equinox, Golden Mask One 15 kHz.
Sealed

Unread post by Sealed » Wed May 18, 2005 9:31 am

Thanks Bobby!
I have a PSS-680 and I like its FM sounds. But I couldn't make an editor with my SoundDiver because PSS uses non-standard checksum format. Currently I only have Mac in my home, but I'll try your editor soon.

And your music is very interesting - it seems you used many Soundfonts, but I can hear FM sounds as well.
fernanas

Unread post by fernanas » Mon May 23, 2005 5:22 pm

Thanks Bobby. I was afraid I thougt your page was lost but finally I found it again (I love my pss's... my hin hong... my vl tone... and my tube amp echolette m-40 loves them too)
Thank you very much.
sefulretelei

Re: Sound editor for old PSS x80 synths

Unread post by sefulretelei » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:54 am

THX BOBBY ... Kisses from ROMANIA !!!
Paul Bucuresti Berceni seful_retelei@yahoo.com Tel:0743.539.570.
User avatar Great Britain
AndyHornBlower

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:23 pm

Thanks, bobby.

I recently bought a PSS-580, and having your software makes it a lot more fun. I'm fine with editing from the front panel, but they left off some of the parameters.

Since there's only space for 5 patches, being able to save them to a PC and keep a folder full of different ones is good too.

The link to download it appears to still work, but there are problems with anti-malware flagging the site as untrustworthy. It's a small file, so I could attach it here, if that's okay with Saul. I haven't noticed an official PSS-x80 downloads section - there wouldn't be an awful lot in it besides this software and the manual.

Here's a Youtube video I found that gives a tutorial on using it. I would have struggled to get started without it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64u6VSdwfU
AndyHornBlower

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:08 pm

I just found this thread again, so I've attached the files I have, in a new thread in the Downloads section:

Yamaha PSS x80 series sound editor - bobby's PSSedit
viewtopic.php?f=173&t=11199
User avatar Canada
artaslove

Unread post by artaslove » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello!!

Just last year I was reunited with a PSS-680 Keyboard, which was the first keyboard I ever owned. After reading the manual again I wrote a program in python for editing the patch data. I nearly finished it before stumbling across bobby's PSS Edit, which was helpful because he documented two mystery bits that I overlooked while looking at the patches in a hex editor. I suppose my editor will also work with the 480,580 and 780 however I don't have them to test with.

After some experimentation, I also have not discovered the purpose of the mystery bits and bytes that have been set in some of the keyboard patches outside of the documented areas in the manual. At one point though, it seemed like mystery byte eight was effecting the modulator like a sort of gate.

I'll leave this link here in case anyone is running linux: the link

I plan to keep adding to this over the weekend, however I'm very nearly finshed adding everything I wanted.
AndyHornBlower

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Cool. I don't have Linux on anything, at the moment, but I may move to it at the end of the year, when Windows 7 support officially stops.

Could you add some screen shots?

There's also Martin Tarenskeen's Ctrlr panel for it. He's done one for the four octave PSS-480/580 (same thing, different colours) and one for the five octave PSS-680/780 (also the same thing, AFAIK). Maybe you can figure out the missing pieces faster using that.

There are some differences between the two sizes, apparently. Martin did explain it to me, but I can't remember, off hand. I think the order of the built in presets is different... That might be the only difference; I'm not sure.

Ctrlr is software for controlling various MIDI devices, especially synths, either as a stand-alone program, or as a VST plugin. There's a Linux version too. For a specific device to be supported, it needs something called a Ctrlr "panel", which is what these are:

http://ctrlr.martintarenskeen.nl/

You can download the Ctrlr software from https://ctrlr.org/ - ignore the menu at the top, where it says "Download", and scroll further down the home page for the download links.

There is a way to make the knobs on the panel be controllable by an external MIDI device. I haven't checked the current version, but last time I checked, I still needed to set that up for myself... The explanation may get a bit long winded, so let me know if that's something you want to do.

Did you find the PSS-480 service manual? It's pretty detailed on the sysex format (look for Exclusive Data Format, starting on page 16). It may cover a lot of what you need to know for both types:

Yamaha PSS-480 (and PSS-580) service manual :
viewtopic.php?f=173&t=13194
User avatar Canada
artaslove

Unread post by artaslove » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Wow, well, it's good that there are so many programs to cross reference, I feel silly that I didn't look a little harder first before getting started!

I added a screenshot to my github, however Martin Tarenskeen's editors are clearly the most impressive as far as appearance. And he notably added a portamento switch to his editors, and didn't bother featuring the mystery bytes.

I figure I'll also remove the mystery bytes from my editor before I'm finished. They were only in there in the hope that there were other editable parameters.

I've considered making use of the unused space in the patches to store my own data, for example storing the name of the patch in the patch itself.

I'll keep plugging away at it!
AndyHornBlower

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:16 pm

That looks good. I like the idea of storing patch names in the unused bytes.

Maybe you could move the controls along the bottom up to that space on the right, where the mystery bytes are at the moment - it would make it easier to get it all on a lowish res screen, without scrolling.

I favour manual Send, for one of those synths, because they can't receive individual parameter changes, so it gets a bit slow... I've forgotten whether you have to send all five patches at once, or just one. Either way, it's quite a few bytes each time.

I'm not sure Martin's panels are all that easy to find. I thought of mentioning them here a while ago, but I wasn't sure when they were officially ready. I see he's updated them recently though, so I guess they are.

Another way of doing it is always good to have, anyway.
User avatar Canada
artaslove

Unread post by artaslove » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:58 pm

You don't have to send all five patches. You can just send one to any of the programmable banks, which is a bit faster. If you send a program change to that bank afterwards, you can hear the changes right away, especially in MIDI Mode 00. Midi Mode 99 seems less responsive oddly, but it could be my poor implementation of MIDI in this tool. When you send a program change though, all notes go off. So it's different than changing the patch parameters from the front panel.

I certainly like the idea of making the parameters controllable with MIDI as well. It's definitely time to get into VST programming, not necessarily to recreate Martin's excellent panels, but for another project.
AndyHornBlower

Unread post by AndyHornBlower » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 pm

I don't think you can control parameters via MIDI, on these. It's a fairly basic MIDI implementation. I think the smallest unit of sysex it can accept is the patch - or "bank" as they called it.

Some Yamaha synths have remote control of buttons, via MIDI, but these don't appear to have that either.

That's interesting about the two MIDI modes responding differently. I had to look that up again, because I don't change it.

I didn't realise it needed a program change to respond to the changes either - I thought the next note after sending a patch played the changed sound.

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”