DGX 660 MIDI capabilitiees

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

wip971
Location.: France

DGX 660 MIDI capabilitiees

Unread post by wip971 »

Hello,

I'm considering to buy a DIgital Piano. I used to play keyboards but most synth. I have a 49 keys MIDI keyboard , a portable sequencer (QY100) and a computer.
I would like to learn piano with a weighted 88 keys piano and I think my 11 yrs old daughter might be interrested as well.

I think the DGX660 might be the best option for me, since, in addition to good piano sounds, it has various extra sounds to have fun with, auto accompagnement, recording functions,... but I also need to be able to connect it to a computer and use MIDI functions.

Can I playback MIDI files stored on an USB key ? Is the DGX660 able to playback the 16 parts of a MIDI File? for example I would like to playback a Coldplay song and just mute the piano part, to practise it while the other instruments still run

I've been told that it hasn t a built in audio interface like the P125 so what are the real MIDI capaibilities? can I playback MIDI files from my computer and make all the 16 track of a MIDI file played back on the DGX' speakers using the DGX' internal sounds?

Thank you

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: DGX 660 MIDI capabilitiees

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Yes, the DGX-660 can play MIDI song files using all 16 channels, either from a USB flash drive that's plugged into the DGX-660, or from the DGX-660's internal memory.

You can also stream (i.e., sequence) MIDI data from a DAW, or send MIDI data from a connected MIDI controller, to play voices on any of the MIDI channels in addition to the voices you're playing on the DGX-660 itself.

However, the DGX-660 has a USB-MIDI port rather than MIDI DIN In/Out ports, which means you can't just directly connect a MIDI controller to it. Instead, you must either use a special "MIDI USB Host interface" box (as opposed to a simple "USB MIDI interface" cable), or else use a computer to route the MIDI data from the MIDI controller to the DGX-660.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that playing along with a MIDI file isn't as simple as pressing a button to mute or disable a given MIDI channel, since the DGX-660 doesn't have "track control" buttons for toggling the various MIDI channels on or off as desired. Instead, you must either edit the MIDI song files to remove or silence the parts you want to play yourself, or stream the MIDI song data from a DAW or other app that can filter out a given channel as desired.
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710

wip971

Unread post by wip971 »

Thank you

To be honest, I was expecting an answer from you since I saw many of your posts on the DGX660 :)

I'm pretty familiar with MIDI conections so I figured what you just said about using a computer to reroute MIDI from external MIDI device to the DGX through the USB host port.

When playing back a MIDI song from USB key, will I be able to select different tones to each channel? For example a song that use Fingered Bass on channel 3, will I be able to change directly on the DGX660 to Synth bass? and what about muting channels?

And do you confirm that it hasn't a built in digital audio interface like the P125?

Thank you

newbiewqs
Location.: USA

Unread post by newbiewqs »

I am a new owner/user of DGX--660, so I am still learning. From what I see, among the 6 channels you can control with the midi files on the instrument, you can change the voice for channel 1 (left) and/or channel 2 (right) only. There’s no “audio interface” to manipulate midi files other than you can mute
any of the 6 channels onboard.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

wip971 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:22 pm
When playing back a MIDI song from USB key, will I be able to select different tones to each channel? For example a song that use Fingered Bass on channel 3, will I be able to change directly on the DGX660 to Synth bass? and what about muting channels?

And do you confirm that it hasn't a built in digital audio interface like the P125?
I apologize for not responding sooner, but I've been preoccupied with other matters during the last week.

Your first question is tricky to answer, because basically the answer is "No," but it also depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.

The PSR-S, PSR-SX, Tyros, and Genos lines of Yamaha arranger workstations include a "song assembly" or "song creator" feature, as well as a "mixer" feature, which let you select a MIDI song file and change the voices you want the keyboard to use for each of the song's MIDI channels.

Unfortunately, the DGX, YPG, PSR-E, PSR-EW, and YPT lines of Yamaha arrangers don't have that level of sophistication, so you can't simply select a MIDI song file and choose which voices you want to use on each channel. The nearest thing to that on my PSR-E, PSR-EW, and YPT models is a feature that lets me choose the "song melody voice" for the song channel associated with the right-hand, which sounds like what @newbiewqs referred to. But there is no "mixer" screen where you can see the voices, volumes, and parameters associated with each channel of a MIDI song, and then adjust any or all of those parameters as desired.

Instead, you would generally need to edit the file in a DAW or other MIDI editor on a computer, changing the voices and other parameters as desired, then saving the changes to a new file-- or overwriting the original file if you don't need to preserve a copy of it with its original settings-- and then play back the modified song file.

But there might be a couple of alternatives to that, which would require being connected to a computer or other device (such as a tablet or smartphone) while you're playing back the song file.

One alternative might be to play back the song file from the computer or tablet, rather than from the USB flash drive, using a DAW or similar MIDI playback application. You might be able to use that software, or perhaps a second application running at the same time, to inject voice-change messages (Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change events) and other parameter-change messages (CC events) into the MIDI song data that's being streamed or sequenced to the keyboard.

The other alternative might be to play back the song file from the USB flash drive as usual, but inject those same voice-change and parameter-change messages from an app running on an attached computer, tablet, or smartphone. There are apps that let you create an array of virtual buttons or other controls (virtual sliders, virtual knobs, and so on) which can send MIDI messages to your keyboard, such that you could select or modify the voices and other parameters of each MIDI channel. I'm not certain that this would work on the DGX-660, but I think it probably would, because the keyboard uses the same MIDI channels for playing back song files as it does for playing MIDI data that's being received over its MIDI IN port. The only question is whether the DGX-660 will give preference to the settings inside the song file over any settings being sequenced to it. Also, if there are any voice changes or other parameter changes embedded within the song file-- such as at the beginning of the 42nd measure-- in addition to the initial settings which are placed at the very beginning of the file, then those embedded events would still be responded to, possibly negating whatever voice changes and parameter changes you've sequenced to the keyboard's MIDI IN port. (And note, when I say "MIDI IN port" I'm speaking of the USB-MIDI connection; in other words, I'm aware that the DGX-660 doesn't have traditional MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports.)

As for muting channels, the first alternative (streaming the MIDI song data from a computer or other device) would be the best solution, since it would let you toggle each channel on or off within the DAW or other app. The second alternative (playing back the song from the USB flash drive but simultaneously sequencing MIDI data to the keyboard) would be a less ideal solution, because you wouldn't be able to toggle the channels on or off per se, but would instead need to mute specific channels by setting the their channel volumes to 0, which might not prevent the keyboard from actually playing the notes on those channels, such that the keyboard would still use some of its tone generators to sound the notes of the muted channels.

And as for the built-in USB audio interface, I'm pretty sure that the DGX-660 does not have that feature at all. It can record and play back audio files, but it can't send and receive audio over its USB connection.
Michael Rideout

wip971

Unread post by wip971 »

thank you so much for your very detailed reply

I'm used to do all of these things with a computer but since the piano would be away from a desktop, I was wondering if it can do those things alone.

I've also told myself that the DGX660 is a digital piano with extra features , not an arranger or a workstation so I have to accept that I can't expect such detailed MIDI features, except if I buy a more expensive one such as the Korg XE20 or a P515. I considered buying a 88 weighted keys synth like the MX88 (which has GHS) but without built in speakers and a nice stand to fit perfectly in my house with a "piano look", it doesn't meet my requirements

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

If you have an iPad that you can use with DGX-660, there are apps that let you do many of the things that would otherwise require connecting with a computer.
Michael Rideout