Psr S650 - Midi System

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: parametric, Derek, Saul

Adair

Psr S650 - Midi System

Unread post by Adair »

Good morning ... I haven't found a specific topic for the Psr S650, that's why I'm posting here. I bought a Psr S650 and I would like to know if with the two Usb inputs I would be able to connect with another yamaha keyboard or even with some Sound Module. I know that one input is for Pc and the other to insert Pendrive. For example I have a tone module with midi inputs and outputs.
Thanks

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Location.: SC, USA

Re: Psr S650 - Midi System

Unread post by SeaGtGruff »

Essentially, the answer is "No, but yes."

No, you cannot directly connect the PSR-S650 to another MIDI device by running a cable from the PSR-S650's USB TO HOST (that is, its "USB-MIDI") port to the other MIDI device's MIDI or USB-MIDI port, because there must be a "USB host" device between them to act as an interface.

Consequently, yes, you can interface the PSR-S650 with other MIDI devices by using some sort of USB host device to interface them together and route the MIDI data from one to the other.

The most common setup is to connect both the PSR-S650 and the other MIDI device to a computer or laptop, or to a suitable tablet or smartphone, and use a DAW or other MIDI software to receive the MIDI data from one device and route it to the other device, or vide versa.

But if you need a solution that doesn't require the use of a computer, laptop, tablet, or smartphone, there are several standalone "MIDI USB host" interfaces that can be used, including-- but not limited to-- the following:

- Kenton MIDI USB Host mkII
- Miditech USB MIDI Host
- Midiplus MIDI Host Box
- DOREMiDi USB MIDI Host Box
- BomeBox

Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
Adair

Unread post by Adair »

Dear SeaGtGruff, as always, great connoisseur of keyboards and always willing to help others. Thank you very much for the information.
Still on the sound module, using a tablet or a notebook I could control the voices of the module with the functions of the S650 in real time

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Yes, if you connect both the keyboard and the sound module to a laptop or tablet, you can use MIDI routing software to pass MIDI data from the keyboard to the sound module.

One thing I should have mentioned about using a standalone host device is that, depending on the devices, it might potentially be necessary to connect two host devices together.

If both MIDI devices have USB-MIDI but not standard MIDI ports, then you'd either need a host device that has two USB TO DEVICE ports so you can connect both MIDI devices to the host via USB, or you'd need to connect a USB hub to the USB host and connect the two MIDI devices to the USB hub.

Computers and laptops typically have at least two USB TO DEVICE ports so that two or more USB peripherals can be connected to them at the same time, which takes care of that issue. But it seems that standalone MIDI USB host devices normally have only one USB TO DEVICE port, and they say to use a USB hub if you need to connect more than one USB-MIDI device to them.

Unfortunately, for some of their models Yamaha says that the keyboard should be connected directly to a computer or other USB host, and to not use a USB hub, so check your manual to see if it mentions anything like that.

One solution would be to buy two of the MIDI USB host devices, connect each USB-MIDI device to its own host, and use two MIDI cables to connect the two hosts together, MIDI OUT to MIDI IN.

If you're thinking of using a tablet as the host and router, it might be possible to connect one, or maybe even both, of the USB-MIDI devices to the tablet using a Bluetooth MIDI connection.

Michael Rideout
Adair

Unread post by Adair »

Dear SeaGtGruff, my best thanks for the information

Adair

Unread post by Adair »

Which of these would be the most suitable and how to connect
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Neither of those interfaces can act as a standalone USB host; they're just for connecting MIDI devices that don't have a USB-MIDI port to a computer. Thus, you could use either interface to connect other MIDI devices to your computer or laptop, but you'll still need to connect the PSR-S650 to the computer or laptop as well.

Michael Rideout