New DGX660 owner

Yamaha PSR/PSS & DGX Home Keyboards. If your particular model PSR/PSS/DGX keyboard doesn't have it's own section here is the place to post.

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

EB5AGV
Spain

New DGX660 owner

Unread post by EB5AGV » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:20 pm

yamaha_dgx660.png
Yamaha DGX 660
Hi all,

A couple months ago I bought an SY77 and began my long-due (decades) begin of learning to properly play a keyboard. I have had a great time fixing it (http://www.jvgavila.com/Yamaha_SY77_repair.htm) and I enjoy it quite a lot. But a couple of weeks ago I began to attend piano classes weekly and the need of something more close to an acoustic piano (both for sound and feel) arised. So I looked at the P series (P45, P115), which would probably be more than enough for a complete beginner like me. But then the DGX660, which uses the same keybed than the P115 but included a full array of other interesting things, crossed my path... And, after some days thinking about it, I finally ordered one (it should arrive this week :D )

I hope my decission is right, as I am not going to carry it along, so size and weight are not a big problem, and I think I will enjoy the possibilities which this model add compared to the P115, which was my second option.

Even if I have already decided, I would like to hear you opinion about this :wink:

BTW, I am going to keep the SY77 and it will be on same place it is now, so the DGX660 will not replace but complement it.

Regards,

Jose
Jose Gavila

Yamaha SY77+SPX990, DGX660, Genos
Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Re: New DGX660 owner

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm

The DGX 660 is a great keyboard and the 88-note weighted GHS keyboard is definitely worth having if you want to pursue playing the "piano" as opposed to a home keyboard/synth. There really is no substitute for a good weighted keybed.

Also of course as you mentioned the DGX660 gives you a lot more than a piano ever could so really you have the best of all worlds. (Y)

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with it when it arrives.
Saul
Site Admin
Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!
Review Yamahamusicians.com on Trustpilot
Follow us on Twitter @YamahaMusicians
Follow Us On Facebook
Dowina Acoustic Guitars: Dowina Cabernet DC
Dowina Chardonnay GAC DS - Dowina Rustica GAC - Dowina Marus - Dowina Puella

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
EB5AGV
Spain

Unread post by EB5AGV » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:14 pm

Saul wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:11 pm
The DGX 660 is a great keyboard and the 88-note weighted GHS keyboard is definitely worth having if you want to pursue playing the "piano" as opposed to a home keyboard/synth. There really is no substitute for a good weighted keybed.

Also of course as you mentioned the DGX660 gives you a lot more than a piano ever could so really you have the best of all worlds. (Y)

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with it when it arrives.
Hi Saul,

Thanks for your comments.

I am curious about this:
... the 88-note weighted GHS keyboard is definitely worth having if you want to pursue playing the "piano" as opposed to a home keyboard/synth
My aim is to learn to play both... But it seems to me that playing a synth when you play a piano is easier than the opposite, due mainly to the weighted key action.

I have conducted an small experiment today... I had an M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI controller stored, from last time (about 5 years ago) I tried to do some music (well, that time there were other things which prevented it, but that is another story). So I have set a Mac Pro 3.1 with Garage Band and have connected the Oxygen 49 to it. The key action on the Oxygen 49 should be close to a toy piano!. As I had side-by-side the SY77, I have been able to do an A-B comparison so it was not just a prejudice for the cheap controller, it is really that way.

Well, the point is that I have been playing the Oxygen 49, with its simple key mechanism and, in short time I was playing similarly than on the SY77. So my reasoning is that going from higher to lower key weight is not a big problem but the reverse may be. All of this taking into account that I don't pretend to become a professional player, but a decent amateur one, just for the pleasure of doing some music :D

Sorry for this off-topic rant, but all is based on my DGX660 buying decission :wink:

Regards,

Jose
Jose Gavila

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:45 pm

Never any problem going off-topic on this forum Jose, we do it all the time :)

Certainly playing synth on a hammer action keybed is not quite as smooth as on a synth action keybed which is why a lot of players go for the semi-weighted option, which is what you have on the SY77. It gives that little bit extra feel that you don't get with simple springy synth type keyboards.

The big plus with a hammer action weighted keybed is the nuances you can introduce into your playing. Often an acoustic sample that sounds just "ok" when played with a synth becomes something outstanding when played on a weighted keybed. It's all about feel and key response. You will notice this when your DGX arrives although it may take you some time to become accustomed to it. Do give yourself a couple of weeks to settle into it.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Seagull S6 Original/Vintage VE2000GG Gordon Giltrap/Ashbury AG-160/Roland FA-07/Pianoteq 6 Pro/Amplitube 3.0/Apple iMac 27"/Logic Pro X/Cubase AI 9/Absynth 5/Ableton Live 9/KRK Rokit RP5 G3 Monitors
EB5AGV
Spain

Unread post by EB5AGV » Mon May 21, 2018 8:34 am

Well, after a bit more of a month of ownership, I can comment about the DGX-660.

First, GHS key action is good but not equal to the one I use on my piano lessons (which is GH) at the local Yamaha Music School (yes, there is one in Valencia, close to where I live :D ). I find it is easy to play on the school piano after using the DGX-660, so it is fine enough for me.

Then, the possibilities of the unit are really impressive. As I am learning, being able to see the sheet music on the display and the included learning options to wait for the correct keys to continue, with one or both hands, are a big plus.

Most of the included sounds are pretty good (of course piano sounds are). I miss some SY77 sounds but, for thaose, I have the SY77 :mrgreen:

I am still exploring things on the DGX-660, I am not in a hurry, as my first goal is to learn to play. Then will come the automatic chords, styles and such to impress the audience :lol: . But you need a good base to make some decent music :wink:

I am hooked and try to practice all days, at least for an hour (divided usually in two or three periods). It is encouraging to see that there is some progress. Slow, but definitely progress :)

Best regards,

Jose
Jose Gavila

Saul
Site Admin
Site Admin
Ireland

Unread post by Saul » Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 am

Hi Jose

Thanks for the update on the DGX-660. You are of course right about the GHS (Graded Hammer Standard) key action but it is still pretty good for the price and taking into account all the other features Yamaha managed to pack in there.

There are 5 types of Yamaha hammer action keybed :

NWX (CLP545 and up / CVP705 and up) - Natural Wood X (NWX) keyboards are created using Yamaha's unrivaled expertise in wood-working acquired through more than a century of crafting fine acoustic pianos. The wood used in NWX keyboards has been carefully dried specifically for use in making musical instruments. Only the best wood from the finest part of the tree is selected, resulting in a keyboard that is more resistant to buckling and warping than common laminated wood keyboards.

The NWX keyboard also features an escapement mechanism that reproduces the feel of an acoustic piano as it goes through the let-off and drop of the hammer when a key is played very softly. The action has been designed in such a way that the escapement is discernible only on the lightest keystrokes, similar to the keyboard of a grand piano.

NW-GH (CP4) - Natural Wood keys offer the weight and response that piano players expect. Adding different weight or "grading" the keyboard reproduces the feel of a piano's hammers: heavy in the low end and light in the high end. The surface of the key is lightly porous thanks to Synthetic Ivory key tops that add grip to the keys. This maintains accuracy during long performances or practice sessions. Finally, a third sensor allows grand piano-like key repetition where notes can be re-articulated without a complete release. This makes it easier to play fast, repeated notes and is one of the main reasons pianists choose grand pianos over uprights.

GH3 w/Synth. Ivory (CLP525/YDP163) - Graded Hammer 3 (GH3) 88-key piano action utilizes the same hammering system and spring-less mechanism of a grand piano. This action reproduces the touch of an acoustic piano, from the heavy feel in the lower register to a lighter touch in the upper octaves. It also features a three-sensor configuration, which accurately senses and interprets the behavior of the keyboard in order to provide a grand piano-style response and feel. This allows for quick note repetition and authentic expressive control. Synthetic ivory key tops provide a tactile surface to the white keys, absorbing moisture from the fingers and preventing them from slipping.

GH (YDP181/P255) - Yamaha, using its more than a century-old grand piano-making expertise, created a keyboard that offers a natural playing feel. Just as on a traditional acoustic piano, lower notes on a GH keyboard have a heavier touch, while the higher ones are more responsive to lighter playing. With stability and endurance in response to any kind of performance, it offers the reliability and quality expected of Yamaha keyboards.

GHS (P45/P115/YDP143/YDPV240/DGX660) - The Graded Hammer Standard (GHS) 88-key piano keyboard provides a heavier touch in the low end and lighter touch in the high end, replicating the feel of the hammers inside an acoustic piano. GHS is great for the aspiring pianist, because it can help you build proper finger technique. When it comes time to play an acoustic piano, your hands will be ready! Additionally, the matte finish of the black keys can absorb moisture from your hands, making them less slippery even after hours of practice.

Interesting that you are near Valencia :) That is where a lot of acoustic guitar makers choose the the tone woods for their guitars.
Saul
Site Admin
Follow Us On Facebook

Return to “Yamaha PSR/PSS/DGX”