Hello Moxies

Yamaha MOX6 and MOX8 Keyboards info and discussion

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

User avatar United States of America
eastsideeddie

Hello Moxies

Unread post by eastsideeddie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:30 pm

I just bought a used Mox6. This will be my first Yamaha keyboard and this used one fit my budget. I was always an Ensoniq guy and in fact still have 2 of them from the late 80s (Yes, I am old!), along with a Nord Electro4.

My question to you is this. After 45 minutes of Google searching I can't find a clear answers. What is the latest OS I should be running? Will an OS flash wipe my sound banks clear? Is the OS for the Mox6 different from the MoxF6? (I will assume yes on that one.) Is there a flash tool, or will the keyboard know what I am doing when I connect the USB to the laptop? (The Nord OS flash is an executable. The Ensoniq ESQ-1 is a chipset, and the 16+ sampler is floppy disk load driven.) I get the thing tomorrow, May 1st, and I am extremely eager to get it. I have a "Motif guy" who will coach me as I learn the sound architecture, and if I can get sounds that sound half as good as his full blown Motif I will be thrilled. He plays in the same band as I do and the string parts he plays are truly amazing.

So as you have deduced from my user name, I am Eddie. I'm in Northeast Ohio, and it's nice to meet you all.
YamahaUser

Re: Hello Moxies

Unread post by YamahaUser » Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 am

eastsideeddie wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:30 pm
What is the latest OS I should be running?
I attempted to post a link to the version 1.02 OS for the MOX at the Yamaha USA site, but was warned:
You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove ...

Oh well.

Will an OS flash wipe my sound banks clear?
It's always best to SAVE an "All"/X3A file before doing an OS update.

Is the OS for the Mox6 different from the MoxF6? (I will assume yes on that one.) Is there a flash tool, or will the keyboard know what I am doing when I connect the USB to the laptop? (The Nord OS flash is an executable. The Ensoniq ESQ-1 is a chipset, and the 16+ sampler is floppy disk load driven.)
The OS update file (8J60OS_.PGM) should be copied to a compatible USB flash drive, and then that drive connected to the MOX. Details are in the Readme file that comes with the OS download.

I get the thing tomorrow, May 1st, and I am extremely eager to get it. I have a "Motif guy" who will coach me as I learn the sound architecture, and if I can get sounds that sound half as good as his full blown Motif I will be thrilled. He plays in the same band as I do and the string parts he plays are truly amazing.

So as you have deduced from my user name, I am Eddie. I'm in Northeast Ohio, and it's nice to meet you all.
I hope you enjoy your "new to you" MOX. You haven't said which Motif model your fellow band member has, but the MOX is capable of many sounds similar to the Motifs.
eastsideeddie

Unread post by eastsideeddie » Wed May 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Okay so it got here about 45 minutes ago. Thus far I have managed to update the OS from 1.00 to 1.02, and I figured out how it takes a double tap on the bank button to get a "conventional" patch name window. Immediate problem is physical. C below middle C does not play. That I have a shop for. The next thing I have to figure out how to do it eliminate all those stored "grooves" with the strange names. I just want this thing to make sounds. I don't want it to play loops when I hold down a key. I have to read manuals now to see what VOICE, PERFORM and MASTER are all about. I have it in voice right now and can see patch names. Then I need to figure out what the significance of "USR" is on some of these screens. If it means teh logical "This is stuff that was user created", okay, but THIS user didn't create it and I want it out.

Also. in the Utility screens, how do I save changes? I can't seem to get them to stick. I tested with the 30 minute auto shutoff and every time I power back up it has reverted to the 30 minute default. I tried hitting enter, as I see no "save" option anywhere, but that didn't work.

This is going to be quite the learning curve, though not as bad as some because I don't care about sequencing and song mode and such. I have a DAW for that. This is destined to be a live show performance keyboard.

After I get that C key fixed!!

EDIT: Found out how to store changes. Figured out how to make it start up in voice mode. Still looking through the manual for where to set the pitch bend wheel range. 1 need it to 1 semitone and it is at 2 right now.
SeaGtGruff
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by SeaGtGruff » Wed May 01, 2019 11:03 pm

It sounds like you've got some work cut out for you! Learning new things can be a chore but it can also be fun. I hope in this case it's all fun and games! :)
Michael Rideout
Current keyboards: Yamaha YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443, PSR-EW400, MX49 BK
Current controllers: M-Audio Axiom 61-II
Previous keyboards: Farfisa Matador 611; Casio CTK-710
eastsideeddie

Unread post by eastsideeddie » Wed May 01, 2019 11:20 pm

So to get to the bottom line, or cut to the chase, choose your metaphor, in addition to a key that didn't play, 2 of the soft buttons were intermittent to say the least. Apparently the store I bought it from (who will I will not name, but if you want a guitar, center your focus on them) did little to no quality control before they flipped this thing, so I just got back from returning it and getting my money back. So, I may as well shut my account down. I DO want to say that you folks are really willing to help and that makes for a great forum environment.

Best to you all.
User avatar Great Britain
parametric
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Unread post by parametric » Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 pm

YamahaUser wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 am
I attempted to post a link to the version 1.02 OS for the MOX at the Yamaha USA site, but was warned:
You can’t post image, email or url links that are external to this domain. Please remove ...
Normally in the Forms, it's best to remove the first part of the address, so it ISN'T a link . . . .

e.g. yamahamusicians.com rather than https://yamahamusicians.com (See what I mean?)

members can then simply copy/paste that into a browser . . . .

Reason being that the forum is penalised for linking to sites that don't link back to us (Most DON'T)

i.e. it affects our rating. Doing it this way, the info is imparted WITHOUT hurting us . . . . (Y)

UNLESS the case you mention is special to Yamaha USA for some reason? . . . . (but try it anyway!)

parametric
Alesis Fusion 8SSD AND 6SSD - BOTH are 384Mb/120Gb SSD/Akai ADVANCE61/Yamaha MOXF6/1024Mb Flash Ram/Yamaha SY85/8.5mb vol/1024k non-vol/DX21/Roland MT32/Bachmann double overstrung Baby Grand Piano/Win10 Pro/Ubuntu MATE 15.0.4/iBook G4/Mac OS 10.4.6/ProTools 7.4/MBox2/M-Audio MicroTrack 24/96

NI Komplete11 Ultimate

Sector101 2x SYEMB06 / 4 x EXM-E3 128MB DRAM Module

BRAND NEW DSDD (720k) FLOPPY DISKS FOR SALE - http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... =22&t=9217

Watch out now! take care, BEWARE of the greedy leaders! They'll take you where you should not go - (George Harrison)

IT'S TRUE - "MONEY TALKS" - TO ME, IT MOSTLY SAYS "GOODBYE" ;-)
http://www.chrisnmiller.co.uk/Chris
YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser » Thu May 02, 2019 1:01 am

parametric wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:37 pm
YamahaUser wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 3:46 am
Normally in the Forms, it's best to remove the first part of the address, so it ISN'T a link . . . .

e.g. yamahamusicians.com rather than https://yamahamusicians.com (See what I mean?)

[...]
Thanks for the explanation, I'll keep that in mind.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.

Return to “Yamaha MOX Keyboards”