save mute/unmute status in performance mode?

Yamaha MOX6 and MOX8 Keyboards info and discussion

Moderators: Derek, parametric, Saul

keyfun

save mute/unmute status in performance mode?

Unread post by keyfun »

hi!
after having used my mox6 for a while, I really can't figure out how to save a performance with f.e. 2 sounds "on" and 2 sounds muted. coz after saving it, all four sounds are always unmuted. let's say I wanna start with piano and bass, and later on I wanna add organ and strings, through unmuting them... in performance mode. am I missing something, or is this simple but essential task not possible in performance mode? how do u guys handle this situation?
thanks in advance for any tip or answer...
greetings, Giles

keyfun

Re: save mute/unmute status in performance mode?

Unread post by keyfun »

and btw the manual doesn't cover this topic. yeah it says how to mute or unmute one or all four sounds, but not how the actual status is saved to a performance, - so that u won't start always with all four sounds unmuted... I can't believe this is not possible(in perf. mode..) :?

YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser »

Part Mute status can't be stored. There are various workarounds, not necessarily in Performance mode.
See both pages of motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/471274/

If you don't mind using Song/Pattern modes, there's a way I sometimes use...
1) Copy the Performance to Parts 1~4 and 5~8 of a Mixing. See Mixing Job [F3]COPY > [SF3]PERFORM on Pages 120-121 of the MOX Reference Manual.
2) For the Parts you don't want to sound when initially selecting the Song, edit the note range for Parts 1~4. Set NoteLimitL(Note Limit Low) to G8 (default is C-2). If NoteLimitH(Note Limit High) is also at G8, Parts set that way won't play. See [SF3]LIMIT on pages 118 and 65 of the Reference Manual.
3) Either leave the note range for Parts 5~8 unedited, or limit the note range as in #2 for some Parts, as desired.
4) If Parts 5~8 are left as original, pressing button [5] will play all the Parts, while [1] (initially selected or can be chosen) will mute the Parts having the C8 - C8 note range.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.

keyfun

Unread post by keyfun »

man, thanks a lot. really appreciate it, as I'm trying it now for a while... and wow, what a workaround for 1 simple task: save a muted part. sometimes I think many of these synth engineers haven't played one gig in their live... but thanks and that's really a big help for me, and I'll try it definitely.
cheers
does someone know, if it's possible with the moxf? coz I just found out the modx handles this "situation" very good. there is a whole chapter on this topic in the manual... thinking of buying a backup keyboard for the mox6...

YamahaUser

Unread post by YamahaUser »

keyfun wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:00 am
man, thanks a lot. really appreciate it, as I'm trying it now for a while... and wow, what a workaround for 1 simple task: save a muted part. sometimes I think many of these synth engineers haven't played one gig in their live... but thanks and that's really a big help for me, and I'll try it definitely.
cheers
You're welcome - I hope you find that one of the workarounds suits your needs.

does someone know, if it's possible with the moxf? coz I just found out the modx handles this "situation" very good. there is a whole chapter on this topic in the manual... thinking of buying a backup keyboard for the mox6...
Basic operations of the MOX and MOXF are the same. For your specific issue there's no advantage to getting a MOXF. The MODX and Montage have some advantages over the Motif-family models, and some disadvantages. I'd suggest making sure that the MODX does everything you expect before committing to a purchase.
Yamaha A3000V2, A4000, MEP4, Motif XS6, Motif XF6, YS200
Fender Chroma Polaris | Korg T3EX, 05R/W | Roland M-GS64, U-220 | Etc.

keyfun

Unread post by keyfun »

yah ok I will do so... and the workarounds on the motifator page are really helpful! anyway I'm also thinking of changing my whole live -setup handling.. I have the new novation mk3 in mind (as a master controller for all my keys). from what I've read till now, this is a real monster in terms of controller, master key and also sequenzer...
so as u said there's again some manual digging and comparing ahead before the next purchase...haha.. just a little..
thx again and greetings!